Planning on a small to medium set up and questions

ioxide

420 Member
Hi guys, noob here with some questions!

Im thinking of setting up a basic small sized dwc, tent size approx 900x400x600mm and due to the limited size im wondering what sized tank/reservoir would be suitable (I was guessing around 3-4Gal/15L) and also wondering whether the depth of the water/tank is more important than the width or does it not matter as much with dwc? I'd prefer the tank as low and wide as possible but if its hurts the size of the plant I will try and maximize the height.

I'm also wondering how much air is required from the air pump, from my understanding to little isn't good but is it possible to over do it also ? I was looking at a 5 or 10Lpm air pump and wondering if this is sufficient.

And finally I see a lot of people asking about keeping the water cool, but where I am I am worried in the winter the water will be too cold, I cant find anywhere what the minimum water temperature should be and am thinking of using a small fish tank heater around 25-50w and wondering if anyone has done the same or if it would cause issues.

If anyone has any advice that would be super helpful!

Thanks!!

:welcome: ioxide, good questions. i'll be watching to see if i can pick up anything new. @The Phantom and @Pennywise might be able to give you some pointers.

i'm not sure of your resevor size but you need to keep it around 19c i was told. I guess if it gets to cold a aquaruim heater would work as you could set the temp on them, unless you are in alaska:rofl:, we've all had issues with the temp being on the higher side also, make sure no light can get to the water.

:welcome: ioxide, good questions. i'll be watching to see if i can pick up anything new. @The Phantom and @Pennywise might be able to give you some pointers.

i'm not sure of your resevor size but you need to keep it around 19c i was told. I guess if it gets to cold a aquaruim heater would work as you could set the temp on them, unless you are in alaska:rofl:, we've all had issues with the temp being on the higher side also, make sure no light can get to the water.

Thank you. I feel like the air temp will be high enough from my lights but with the tent being in the shed im worried the water being lower on the floor will still get cold but I think a small heater should do the trick! Will definitely be blacking out the containers.

Temps in the 60’s farenheit is perfect for DWC

Thank you that's very helpful!

I have been looking at some 15- 30L containers for the tank, both for approx 7inches/17cm in height, so quite low and wide. In soil I've been lead to believe that the taller the pot the larger the plant (to an extent at least) but can't find any info on how this applies in dwc, will the tap root stop growing once it hits the bottom of the tank or keep spiraling up longer over time? Im tempted to just experiment and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom