Plants left in dark 48 hrs before harvest?

Rendrick

It has been recomended to me to leave plants in 48 hrs dark right before harvest. When i asked why it didnt know. Anyone heard of this or practice this technique? And if so what is the reason for this?:cool:

Thanks Rendrick:peace:

I started practicing the 48 to 72 hours of darkness preharvest a few harvests ago.... it was recommended to me by Advanced Nutrients as an additional way to increase the production and potency of the "essential oils" read Resin/THC.

It also enhanced the flavor slightly... making the flavors somewhat more.... pronounced....

Another less than conventional practice that I started doing around the same time was manipulation of the light period and running 24-12 for the last 14 light/dark periods... this increased the actual time from 2 weeks to 3 weeks... I tracked a varying increase in yield of 8 to 12% per harvest.

Since that time, I changed my overall set up to be perpetual, and doing the 24-12 light period isn't really feasible because it would mean I would be doing it for the entire 8 week flowering period, that would change my flowering period to 12 weeks... I might actually try it sometime, but I don't have plans do so at this point.

I still do the 48 to 72 hours of darkness simply by removing the plants to a "quarantined darkroom"

https://cannabis-science.com/papers/Chemical Ecology of Cannabis.pdf Great article....thanks outlaw

An old salt called rolanterroy turned me on to systematically snipping the ends off leaves during the last few weeks of budding to increase potency, much like the wounds insect or small mammal predation might leave.
...He also taught me about putting the buds into complete darkness for the last 3-7 days before harvest.

My measurements are all qualitative; but isn't that what matters in the end, how it looks, smells, and what it does to us?
At the end of the shock period, the plants appear more resinous, the buds are indeed stickier (resin builds up on my fingers more quickly during handling than before the shock period), and they are more aromatic. I consistently find them to be more potent as well.

Medicineman posted this at the grow your own medicine blogspot around Jan/Feb '09.

Quote: day 7 of flushing-shock ripening- fill res half way with ice and leave box in darkness for at least 3 days and as long as 7 days. maintain the res at 0 degress celcius (32 fernhiet) for the period of darkness you choose. (if you want a little sweeter taste and have the time, shock ripen 10-14 days after flushing) DO NOT ALLOW ANY LIGHT IN DURING SHOCK RIPINING!!! this will add resin to your buds like you've never seen before.

I'm an organic dirt farmer, so I initiate the shock by wrapping the pots w/ foam insulation, and drenching the root zone with ice water. I use a fourth as much water as normal, and apply it every day.

Qualitatively, the results are even better than before.

Both rolanterroy and medicineman note that these techniques are more productive on inidicas and mostly indica hybrids, due to bud structure.

I'm getting things together to do a series of crops, adding exposure to uv-b light during the shock period.

Both rolanterroy and medicineman note that these techniques are more productive on inidicas and mostly indica hybrids said:
................So are you saying that the buds experience a stretch and this will not be favorable to fluffier sativa like buds?

....anyways, THC deteriorates in the presence of light, so by common sense one would increase final THC production by cutting before first light. With this in mind one could hypothetically keep the plant in a constant darkness up to 48 hours to help increase potency of the nugs.

hope that helps.:cool::smokin:

some pot plants are purple if yours are they can see uv light therefore I could only guess That the plants would hermie if you are exposing them to light they can see during sleep hours. I am not aware if uv light affect green leaf on marijuana but it sure does with the purps

Be careful plants that have purple choroform can see uv light. you don't want them to hermie. Just some good info I haven't seen on this site before

I think you misunderstood his intentions... he plans on experimenting and exposing the plants to UV light during the shock period - the shock period is the dark period just before harvest and could last up to?? 2 weeks?

Inorder for him to do this shock period, he is either going to be doing the entire flowering room or he will be isolating the plants - reducing any risks.

In either case, 2 weeks probably isn't adequate time for plants to become stress induced hermaphrodites, produce mature male pollen sacks and release pollen to contaminate themselves and others.

But yea, that is something I didn't know... do you have a reference or source for this information??? I am interested in reading about it....

This page seems popular on the internet so I'm going to try and update it with some scientific data. According to an academic/scientific data from a credible source (posted below).

In day(s) 2 and 3 during a dark period chlorophyll begins to degrade and can help resolve the grass/hay smell along with appropriate dry/cure methods and handling.

Effects of Light on Degradation of Chlorophyll and Proteins during Senescence of Detached Rice Leaves | Plant and Cell Physiology | Oxford Academic

A simple internet search will reflect community consensus (an overwhelming number of individuals and groups on various websites, internet forums, etc.) concur that darkness forces greater weight of buds and trich production. It is against the terms of service to post from other forums, so I won't be doing that but again, plenty of internet results on the issue supporting the same thing.

Dark period will help the breakdown process significantly and studies have confirmed this. While no reliable sources have determined the increase in THC and weight of buds there are enough cultivators to support at least a feasible possibility that this occurs.

In conclusion, for drying and curing purposes alone, it's worth promoting the dark period for 48-72 hours (preferred) for the general qualitative wellness of your end result.

Any ideas on how to do this outdoor as I have 9 growing in my backyard, and willing to test it out. My expected harvest will be in late sept and early oct. farmers almanac predict that 1st frost will be in oct 13 where I am.

Hi all, some compelling ideas here...seems the general consensus is 48-72 hours of dark; before harvesting. Has anyone tried 7 days in the dark, prior to harvest? I have 4 White Widows Autoflowers ...roughly 6 weeks out from harvest and I'm attempting to time everything really nice; as far as getting ready for harvest and deciding on a dark period. Now truth be told, out of the 4 widows I grew, there is one with which I was the most experimental with- and she has been in full flower for about 5 weeks now. The other 3 just started their second week of flower...
So basic grow info, I used soil, organic blend, watered every other day, average room temp 72 F with 40%RH, lights are 2 "600 watt" LED units with veg and bloom switches, along with 3 standalone full spectrum bulbs, for a grand total of approximately 300 true watts. Had the widows under 24 hr light ( seeing as they are autos), only in the last month did I switch to an 18/6 light schedule, to accommodate the CB Dutch Treat.
So yeah...sorry, bit of a ramble..but im curious if anyone has tried a longer dark period...Im considering putting "widow 1" under a full week or two or dark...maybe even three?
Comments? ideas? The pictures are fairly recent, taken just days ago.
Peace

Wojo

Attachments

• xperiafeb2019 388.JPG
    xperiafeb2019 388.JPG
    409.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • xperiafeb2019 390.JPG
    xperiafeb2019 390.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 494
  • White Widow_Week_8.JPG
    White Widow_Week_8.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 562
It has been recomended to me to leave plants in 48 hrs dark right before harvest. When i asked why it didnt know. Anyone heard of this or practice this technique? And if so what is the reason for this?:cool:

Thanks Rendrick:peace:
Yes. I am prepared to do that real soon. My plants into 8th week. They say by complete darkness for 48 hrs. No light anywhere. It shuts down thinking that it is becoming winter and buds swell an THC gets stronger. Will let you know if it works.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1053179436.jpeg

20211123_074044~2.jpg

Yes. I am prepared to do that real soon. My plants into 8th week. They say by complete darkness for 48 hrs. No light anywhere. It shuts down thinking that it is becoming winter and buds swell an THC gets stronger. Will let you know if

Yes. I am prepared to do that real soon. My plants into 8th week. They say by complete darkness for 48 hrs. No light anywhere. It shuts down thinking that it is becoming winter and buds swell an THC gets stronger. Will let you know if it works.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1053179436.jpeg

20211123_074044~2.jpg
What strains do you have growing there? I have 2 White Widows and a Purple Hawk currently that are getting close to harvest and I was thinking of giving this a try with one of my white Widows.

What strains do you have growing there? I have 2 White Widows and a Purple Hawk currently that are getting close to harvest and I was thinking of giving this a try with one of my white Widows.
I have 5 White Widow autos. You just have th let them be. They are a very fussy strain. After two fails left these alone. I alternated nukes then water.I am now flushing on my eighth week. Waiting on pistals to turn amber. Then will put it in darkness for 72 hours. Take them out on third day.Trim all the fan leaves off and hang to dry for a week. They say WW is easy to grow. They hate being stressed. Flop right down. Gonna try something different like Gorilla glue or Skittles. I will have to research a bit. I chose WW because it's low in CBD and high in THC.

some pot plants are purple if yours are they can see uv light therefore I could only guess That the plants would hermie if you are exposing them to light they can see during sleep hours. I am not aware if uv light affect green leaf on marijuana but it sure does with the purps

They just look purple. I am assuming you have full spectrum on you light. Mine look purple because of that. If you take the plant away from light the purple is green.

Back
Top Bottom