Please check out my grow area and help with some questions

RedCamel

Hello,

my brother and i built this in my basement yesterday. it is 5' x 4.5' x 6' (length x width x height) i have never grown pot before, nor do i(or him) even smoke. i want to know what type of lighting should i get.

i would like a MH/HPS because i read it is really good but it produces a lot of heat. i think that is good due to the fact that during the winter time(now), my basement is a bit cool(not cold). and during the summer it is pretty cool as well. so i dont think heat will be too big of an issue. how many watts should i look at for a growing space this size? i read that the maximum size for a 400 MH/HPS should be 4x5. would this be ok since mine is a half foot bigger then recommended? would this still produce a good yield?

but if i do not go with an HPS/MH, i am very interested in getting an LED. i really want to go with haight solid state 800(or anything as good or better for the same price or lower. so if you know of any, let me know!) since it uses very little electricity, produces virtually no heat, and life span is very long. here are the specs:

800W HPS replacement
The ideal size for flowering/fruiting of full sun loving plants
Covers approximately 2 sq meters (50 x 60 inches)
31 - 6W LEDs
Red, blue and white LEDs for a complete spectrum
Uses only 190W typical
Separate High/Low power control for blue/white and red
120V indoor use only
15 x 20 x 1 inch

so my questions are... what light should i go with? a HPS/MH or this LED?

if i go with the LED, how will i keep my tent heated during these winter months, since LEDs produce very little heat?

how many plants can i grow in a tent this size with either a MH or LED?

if i go with this LED(or something better for the same price or cheaper), would it be ok for me to assume ill get a similar yield as to a 400w MH/HPS?

lastly.. sorry if i didnt make much sense, i typed this extremely quickly

imag0287x.jpg

imag0288x.jpg

First, you must be mindful of the max height of the strains you plan to grow. A 3' tall plant needs a 5G+ grow pot, which is about 2 ft tall. That only leaves a foot for light fixture and distance so as not to burn your tops.

You can compensate by getting a vertical fixture, which also gets deeper into the canopy, or an LED plus CFL side lighting.

hth

thank you for the reply. yes, I am aware of Tue height, and how most plants seems like the double in size when you switch from veg to flower. I do not plan on letting my plants grow too large in height.

I was told that a 400 watt mh/hps will grow in my size tent but it will not be as good as it could be. so, would I have better luck going with an 800 equivalent led?

I have 2 very decent grows using a UFO (90 watt), but you need ~200+ for a really good grow. IMHO prices are too high AND you cannot change out individual spectrums as they decline in output. I now use a Quantum Bad Boy T 5 (HO-8 bulb). Not only can I change bulbs on then fly, I can mix to simulate spring planting-harvest spectrums.

hth

How's the progress going? Allot could be done with that kind of room. Sounds like your on your way. Remember the five links in the chain. I've found my grow areas never to be large enough. Will be watching good luck

Back
Top Bottom