Please help with grow room addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCapn

Hello all, and thanks in advance for any constructive input you can provide.

Currently, my grow closet is located in my basement, and is 4' x 15', with a 4 x 4 section blocked off for veg area, leaving only 4 x 8 area for flower, and a couple feet for buckets and misc stuff. I just got permission from the "boss" to make an addition! So, I'm adding 5 more feet on the side. This will be my new 4 x 5 veg area, and I'll have the entire 4 x 15 for flower. woo hoo!

Currently, I have a 6" fan pulling air thru all my hoods, with carbon on the end. The fan pushes the hot air up the chimney, and out side. My grow area is not air conditioned. I just pull cool basement air into the grow room and outside constantly. It is not efficient, I know, but probably cheaper than running a dedicated air con / dehumidifier. And, it is very stealth. The grow room is fairly quiet.

The new veg area has a 6" duct to the outside, already cut in. I will use this as a cold air "intake" in the cold months of the year, or use it as an out vent, during hot months, or not use it at all. It also has a window, that will be blocked off.

I am looking for suggestions for the ultimate new veg area! I'm not interested in running CO2 now, maybe in the future.

I'll be running top feed in the veg room, just like I do now.

So give me any and all suggestions for your "dream" veg area. I'm starting construction today.

newvegroom.jpg

newvegroom2.jpg

To be honest with you Cap, your building skills far surpass mine so I am little to no help for you. I am looking fwd. to seeing what you come up with :)
Maybe I ought to start a similar thread and ask for help with mine. My space is so far from being efficient, once our move is done thats the goal

looks good so far... In my veg room I like using 58w T5 lamps, mixed color and a couple fans. Your in a basement so temps should not be an issue for the veg room, however, it may become an issues for the flower room. I have a similar set up, my bud room gets a little to cool in the winter and respectfully, a little to warm in the summer. I am currently on the "fence" whether or not to introduce a/c for the summer and perhaps a small heater for the winter.

Man I wish I lived in Cali! So Capn, you're expanding huh? Are there any restrictions that you have to work around? Is it safe for you to vent out your chimney? Will your chimney appear the same as everyone else's in your neighborhood to a helicopter with FLIR? I don't know how people out there vent their AC and other appliances, but if that would be a concern, I'd suggest running vent pipe near an external AC unit or even straight through the ground then out after a couple 30ish feet away from the house. I do not have my setup running yet as complications stimeyed me, but when I do, I plan to treat air in and air out with homemade heat exchangers. My design consists of using a pretty high CFM rated PC fan in conjunction with PC water coolers. They're essentially small car radiators with a send and receive port to allow liquids to flow through. this setup is inexpensive when compared to a traditional heat exchanger and way funner to build. From those 2 elements, I can run pex tubing to a coil of copper inside of a small Hotpoint refrigerator and use a low rated inline water pump like the ones we use for our hydro setups. Also, if you happen to order the fan and radiator that I hyperlinked above, the mounting holes align perfectly so each fan can be mounted to each radiator with a #6 machine screw.

1667104998532.png

1667105009753.png

For ease of making better suggestions, can you express in which ways you'd like to improve i.e. air movement, power consumption, spacial layout etc? If you ask me, you already have a killer setup and I'd love to see pics of the inside if that's possible?

>>>Is it safe for you to vent out your chimney?
>>>Will your chimney appear the same as everyone else's in your neighborhood to a helicopter with FLIR?

I'm only running 2K watts total and my exhaust fan sits on 220CFM, so it's not like a ton of heat is rising up it. I suppose the air around the chimney top would be warmer than my neighbors. Although in the summer time the roof is about 150 degrees anyway, so I highly doubt it is detectable. The lights are off at night so no heat then. If I decide I want to cool the air before exhausting it, I'll buy a "chill king ice box".

>>>For ease of making better suggestions, can you express in which ways you'd like to improve i.e. air movement, power consumption, spacial layout etc? If you ask me, you already have a killer setup and I'd love to see pics of the inside if that's possible?

I was looking for any suggestions as far as simplifying, automating things and so on. I am nearly done. It is fairly simple, yet effective. I'll post pics soon.

What size room are you setting up? I'm assuming pretty small since you're talking about the smaller PC fans and coolers?

Initially I was shooting for 30" x 40" x 7' (exterior), but a major complication arose and I needed to scrap the plan for that location. I still went ahead and bought all that I need for the build, but am still looking for a better quieter situation. Details in my journal linked below if you want to see what I was shooting for and why I am looking for somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom