Potential Busting by Property Manager tomorrow....need advice!

Bigpappa1983

ok need some opinions here guys....short story, ppl down stairs moved, there is a leak from my bathroom downstairs they found. The property manager is coming by tomorrow and wants to take a look(not the landlord the big guys ya know!) and I need to cover up all ops(better be safe than sorry ya know!) Now general sight on seen ill be good. Covering up the smell is another thing, any good options out to get rid of the odor quick fast? also I dont have venting on my tent so i have to have it open with the 600hps, my thought was turn off the hps for just a day and use a 68W(300equiv) CFL. I just want to make sure that wouldnt put to much stress on the girl, while maintaining the photoperiod at least. Any input would be appreciated....and for the whys...I am in a 1br apartment, I do not know if the head honchos are ok with it even though I am legally growing. And really I can't afford to get kicked out of this place LOL. Not sure what I should do if questioned or well anything really! Much mahalo for any input on this.

Edit: Also I would like to note that I know that there is at least 5-7 MMJ patients that live in these apartments, and one other grows too....Now I am not wanting to throw people under the bus but could that help in any way should shit go down....hoping everything will just pass over, but I always like to be prepared for the worst ya know. Also looking at possible moving the girls for tomorrow to a buddies place should that be allowed(hes the grower in the same complex).

I am sorry if this is coming across jumbled up but got me in kind of a state of minor panic...and with harvest the 20th of this month...yea I don't wanna lose this shit.

ohhh also info, I am 99% sure the Complex manager knows about my growing....he came in and changed a lock for me on the fly and I just happened to have 3.5ft tall and wide mother about 3 feet from him in my kitchen.....why was it out you ask, i was feeding her and giving her a haircut and he just stopped by LOL. Anyways he did not say anything, and seemed like he was maybe purposely trying to not see it, but hell the thing is near 4'X4' and just over a arms reach away...anywho I am just trying to prepare and of course give as much info to you guys helping me as i can. Also if it helps its San Diego, Ca

Run exhaust fan and carbon filter as scrub inside the grow room. They will probably just check the bathroom for leaking pipe or the kitchen but not the bedroom. However, they have the right to check everything. Keeping the carbon filter going can get rid of all smell outside of the room. If you have windows open them and let fresh air circulate. You can also cook something really smelly prior their visit to mask up the smell if getting a carbon filter + fan isn't an option.

Even if you know about others are growing in your complex don't say a thing. Put yourself in their situation would you want anyone who get caught spilling the beans on you?

Keep cool and keep the door lock. If they ask why just say you have your lover sleeping in nude.

Good luck hope things are ok with you and report back on what happen.

thanx 12, sadly things are more complicated than that. the 1 damn bathroom is in my bedroom, so not much i can do there ya know. And I dont have an exhaust or carbon filter, however the plants are all in a small 2x4 tent that i will be able to zip up completely.....windows are open and I am opening more and going to run fans all night to help expell stuff plus i will do what I can to mask the el natural scent. Wish i still had a coffee pot i would just run vinegar through it til shes gone.

And yea I would never throw any of the others under the bus, i am just trying to think if there was some random clause or law that would prevent them from throwing me out unless they threw out others too and with the loss that would create they would just be like ok dont grow no mo...again not that I would do it because that could backfire easily.....im honestly thinking of just loading my car up with all my plants, back windows are tinted so you cant see inside, plus with some cover i would create too and lock the doors, i would be plant free and just have to hide lighting, and the car is within easy sight for me, perhaps even parking off the property where i can see it from my front door.......
I now know what they meant by paranoid stoner!

Cook corn-beef and cabbage.. it will cover any smell. Or sauerkraut..

One seeing a tent would obviously know what your doing in San Diego, Ca.

Good idea to put in a closet and get some tomato or strwberry plants with fruit on them for inside the tent just in case some nosy person want you to prove you don't have pot growing... legal or not.

Just an idea. :D

thanx for the tid bit, I will def have something strong in flavor cooking, also plan on mopping all floors with bleach and rug powder and sprays ya.....I am also afraid for the girls, I wont be running any lights tomorrow. Going to put my 15W sunshine spot in my tent and it will be closed up with just a small fan inside and covered with things to make it look like a stand. My 4' mother on the other hand not sure what im gonna do there yet LOL I hate feeling like this i can tell you that!

Well I just busted my ass for NOTHING! She didn't even come up here. Tomorrow plumbers come, so ill still be in caution mode, only really if she comes along with them, the plumbers would just smoke out too lol. Whew...good news is I cleaned my house, that shit was messy! Now to roll one or maybe 5. And I found a combo of Lysol, carpet powder, fabreeze, scented candles and i made some home made maple syurp...couldnt smell the 50 plants with 20 days left in flowering at all!

They cannot enter the space that is considered "yours for use" under your lease without giving you 24 hours written warning unless it is because of an ongoing emergency.

However, if your plumbing is leaking into another apartment (hallway, stairwell, et cetera) then that counts as an ongoing emergency.

It is totally possible that the person who changed your lock did take pains to "not (definitively) see your plant." Less hassle that way. Doesn't mean they won't Officially Notice if someone else mentions it to them. Whether or not your growing is legal for you to be evicted - or to have them simply fail to renew your lease next time - is between you, them, and your state. Personally, I'd be more worried about the plumbers. Not because I think they'll cause a problem (maybe they will, maybe they wont; I don't know them, lol). But you have no control over who they tell - or who those people tell. Somewhere along the line of communication, a thief might learn of your grow.

If you're growing and presumably don't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry in your apartment, why not just fix the leak yourself? It's not rocket surgery or brain science, you know. The tools are cheap unless you for some reason decide you have to thread galvanized pipe on-site (there are reasonably cheap hand-threaders but they are junky IMO and a bigger pain than just telling the guy who's cutting the piece of pipe you're buying to thread it for you and paying the extra $2); but I see galvanized pipe less and less these days, most everything is copper or plastic.. Books are available at hardware stores - a real hardware store, of course, will take the time to show you how to do things - and you can check one out at the local library. Often you can check out a DVD on basic plumbing while you're there (or hit Youtube). If you're poor as could be, go together with the people you supply meds to or that other grower in your building (who would also probably be happy to be left alone). Or borrow them.

I've never reported a (water) supply leak, leaky drain, bad flush/fill valve on a toilet, or for that matter a gas line problem - although I've stopped recommending that people deal with those out of worry that I'd feel bad if they threw common sense out the window and started a fire or something, lol - or electrical issue, et cetera to a landlord. It's not because I never had them.

I take that back. My ex wife called three times in a week and a half when we moved into a place and discovered that there were several leaks in the basement underneath it where most of the water lines for the entire building were because I was working two jobs at the time and figured we just moved in, it was not our problem. And then I got tired of waiting, told everyone that they were going to be without water from 8am the next day (Saturday) until it was all repaired, was at the store at 7am when it opened getting what I needed, and at 8am I went down, shut the main supply off, cut the lowest line in the basement (for drainage) & had everyone open taps so the water would drain, and went to town. Only problem I had was running out of bread (to wad pieces up and stick in the pipe so what I was soldering wouldn't have water dribble into it, lol) and had to go get a loaf. When I was done I called the landlord and told him that he didn't have to worry about having his maintenance guy come by "someday" to fix the plumbing because I fixed all the leaks and replaced the lines that were shot. And when I sent the next rent check in, I threw the receipts for everything I'd bought into the envelope and deducted the total from the check. But that was because I was mad and tired of waiting, I replaced a lot of stuff that day, and because the lines weren't the ones in my apartment, they were "community property," so to peak.

Next time someone in the building called the landlord about a problem, he told the person to ask me if I wanted to fix it. When the person asked me, I replied, "Yeah, but I'll have to charge you $20 for my time." Which she paid without batting an eye (and then I sent the receipts for those parts in with my next check). Turned out that the landlord owned several properties and that his "maintenance person" was his drunken brother-in-law.

Other than that, I just fix things when they happen. I change my own burned out light bulbs, and painted/wallpapered, too, lol.

When I eventually move out of a rented place, the landlord invariably asks me to stay. Once they offered to knock $100/month off my rent. I was a good tenant. (And at the time, I had a carbon filter. ;) )

Get a carbon filter. Or make one, following one of the many threads about doing so here at 420 Magazine. Or move into a house where neighbors aren't right beside you (or at least sharing your walls). When you grow a crop of any real size in a multi-family dwelling without one, other people will notice. They might not remark upon it - but they'll notice.

Thanks for the post Tourtured! The plumber yea, I wouldnt really smoke them out lol, and plants are never seen(except that one time i got caught with my pants down, because he changed the lock,3 months after request LOL, I asked if i could my self and he said no). Totally agree about the fix it your self stuff, I almost never ask for shit to get fixed. The leak is something I couldnt fix though, I didnt even know about it. I guess there are some jacked up tiles in my shower and over the past few months its been slowly leaking water and there is a big water spot in the place below. Why they never reported that I dunno, but looks like they might be tearing out my whole shower unit.Which that I do not have the experience/skills/cash or knowledge to think of attempting that LOL.

And then on to the clear statement....i need a carbon filter..three of them actually as I now will have 3 flowering stations. I have read some of the DIY and once i can get the funding to build you better believe i will!

Again i appreciate the well thought and detailed response bruddah!

Best of luck to you.

Yeah, something fairly involved like removing a built-in shower - and possibly repairing your floor & their ceiling - isn't something I'd recommend for a first foray into the world of residential maintenance.

If all else fails, there's always running to the nearest grocery store, getting a bunch of egg boxes from them (free every time I checked), and using them to temporarily transport your plants somewhere else.

Hope you don't have to go to great lengths.

Back
Top Bottom