Power Consumption Formulas?

FRIENDinDEED

i had some power conversion equations for calculating how much electrical power a system should draw at a given time. i looked in the FAQ and didnt see anything for it there.

could someone out there please point me in the right direction?!?!?!

all is appreciated, thanks

Re: Power Consumption Formulas???

It's quite easy actually, power co. charges you X number of pennies per 1kwh.

example; pow co. charges .123754900000 cents per 1kwh + you have a 1kw light = approximately .12 cents for every hour your light is on X 18 hours a day X 30 days = I'm not going to figure it out for you you have a calc. also add a couple dollars to total for pumps, fans, etc.

I think you are forgetting that there are peak usage hours and off peak usage hours as well. During the night, less people overall are using electricity, these are known as "off peak" hours and electricity is slightly cheaper per KwH. (Kilowatt Hour). During the day more people are using electricity so they can charge a little more per KwH, these are know as "peak usage" hours.

Obviously, if you run your lights during the night instead of during the day you are saving a little money. The drawback to this is usually you like to look at the plants during the day when you are awake and if the lights are off and the plants are flowering, you should'nt interrupt their dark period by checking on them.

I was thinking of going from dark at 6p to 6a to dark from 6a to 6p for my next grow cycle. I figure I can work on them at 6pm, just as easy as I can 6am, and if I have to travel, my partner will be able to do them after a normal day's work and not have to rush in the AM. :)

so much helpful info here. this site is the shit!!!!

sorry it took so long to respond, thanks all for the info, i will take all into consideration,

the peak hours was also something else i need to take into consideration

naturalhi: thanks for everything, you hve bin most helpful, but since you seem to know the most, is a "kwh" the same as a regualr watt or what? meaning to say , is a 400watt HPS can be said teh same way as 400kwh HPS? whats the difference between teh watt and kwh?

reaason:
i have to be meticulous because i am seeting up rooms for 3 other people and these are things i never really had to be concerned about until now, so to ALL if you havent the patience to answer and be SPECIFIC, then i understand you not responding, but if you can help then please do, understand we are a community and i am jsut making sure that some people tahti know , who really want to be a part of the community can do things the right way

thanks to all who cross this thread and understand what i am saying here

FRIENDinDEED said:
sorry it took so long to respond, thanks all for the info, i will take all into consideration,

the peak hours was also something else i need to take into consideration

naturalhi: thanks for everything, you hve bin most helpful, but since you seem to know the most, is a "kwh" the same as a regualr watt or what? meaning to say , is a 400watt HPS can be said teh same way as 400kwh HPS? whats the difference between teh watt and kwh?

reaason:
i have to be meticulous because i am seeting up rooms for 3 other people and these are things i never really had to be concerned about until now, so to ALL if you havent the patience to answer and be SPECIFIC, then i understand you not responding, but if you can help then please do, understand we are a community and i am jsut making sure that some people tahti know , who really want to be a part of the community can do things the right way

thanks to all who cross this thread and understand what i am saying here

KWH stands for Kilo watt Hour, or 1000 watts per hour ergo a 400watt bulb would consume .4 KWH, using this rule of thumb your bulb would use approximately $1.15 every 24 hours, this is based on what PG&E charges here, you'res might be diff. check your monthly bill.:nomo:

RooRman said:
I think you are forgetting that there are peak usage hours and off peak usage hours as well. During the night, less people overall are using electricity, these are known as "off peak" hours and electricity is slightly cheaper per KwH. (Kilowatt Hour). During the day more people are using electricity so they can charge a little more per KwH, these are know as "peak usage" hours.

Obviously, if you run your lights during the night instead of during the day you are saving a little money. The drawback to this is usually you like to look at the plants during the day when you are awake and if the lights are off and the plants are flowering, you should'nt interrupt their dark period by checking on them.

Unless you have a peak demand meter, the you don't need to worry about it. Those are common in commercial electric service drops, rare for residential. (At least in my area) Though you can avoid brown-outs / low voltage situations by operating at night, and you'll save on A/C costs as well...

As to power calcs, there are generally losses (heat) for any lamp. When calculating, assume a 10% heat loss and you'll be much closer. i.e. 600W MHD should be considered a 660W or a 1000W MHD calculated as a 1100W load.

So as an example with 4 - 600W MHD lamps at 12-12, you would have 4*660*12*30/1000 kilowatt hours billed per month (950 kWh) and multiply that by your billing rate per kilowatt hour and you have an estimate of the power bill for the grow... (950 * .0934 = $88.73)

Also ensure you wire sizing is conservative by at least 20% to cover you in a brown-out situation. i.e. #10 is good for 30 amps and OK for 3 1000 watt lamps (at 120V, 6 at 240V). #8 would be better.

:peace:

Chester: Man Thank You So Much For That, It Really Puts Things Ina Greater Perspective. I Really Dont Think I Would Have To Bother With The Peak Hour Rates At All, Its A Definite Residence, For All 3 Places.

***maybe i should have mentioned it earlier since we are allin different places, i am in NY so its definitely "ConEd" as far as the power

Thnaks Again.

RooRman said:

No I didn't forget, Newbys need to learn to walk before they can run, one step at a time.

Here in Cal PG&E will run a seperate leg to your grow room and give comercial rates if you run in off peak hours, since Friend didn't mention needing extra 100amp service, I gave the basics.:nomo:

naturalhi said:
No I didn't forget, Newbys need to learn to walk before they can run, one step at a time.

Here in Cal PG&E will run a seperate leg to your grow room and give comercial rates if you run in off peak hours, since Friend didn't mention needing extra 100amp service, I gave the basics.:nomo:

I hear that. You just didn't mention it, so I figured I would. I didn't really mean that you forgot what peak and off peak hours are! :Rasta:

RooRman said:
I hear that. You just didn't mention it, so I figured I would. I didn't really mean that you forgot what peak and off peak hours are! :Rasta:

S'rite some times I forget I'm a small frog in a big pond:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom