PPM, PH and runoff?

Dan10thousand

420 Member
Hey guys should I be checking the PH and PPM of my run off, I have been following the "how to water a potted plant" guide that posted here at 420.
I am in the first week of flower and I just got a ppm meter today I watered one of my ladies with water PHd to 6.5 with a ppm of around 550 when I tested my run off I found it to be more in the range of pH 5.5 ish and ppm around 2500. Cause for concern? Lock out?

I'm growing in organic soil I got from a garden shop

Hey guys should I be checking the PH and PPM of my run off, I have been following the "how to water a potted plant" guide that posted here at 420.
I am in the first week of flower and I just got a ppm meter today I watered one of my ladies with water PHd to 6.5 with a ppm of around 550 when I tested my run off I found it to be more in the range of pH 5.5 ish and ppm around 2500. Cause for concern? Lock out?

I'm growing in organic soil I got from a garden shop

Hey @Dan10thousand , welcome to 420 Magazine!

We're glad you are following the "how to water a potted plant" article - it is very helpful.

I had this exact question when I first started, and here's what I learned.

In soil, it is a good idea to track your pH and ppm while feeding - it's a double check to make sure your feed is in range and you are on track.

BTW, as an aside, a lot of people here use ppm still, but a lot of us are encouraging everyone to switch to using EC because it is a universal measurement.

With soil, the runoff pH and EC are not going to mean very much. The runoff is going to contain a lot of salts, particulates and debris which are going to skew your numbers - especially the ppm!

Soil has a natural ability to buffer its own pH - dolomite lime plays a big role in this - but the pH can and will drift (become more acidic) over time.

Also, if the water you are using is alkaline (hard) you will see a quicker drift in the pH of your soil.

This is why we choose to flush our plants growing in soil, with 3 times the pot size of water, every 4 weeks - it helps us avoid pH drift and also removes the built up salts and debris. We then follow the flush with an immediate pH balanced feed - something we have decided to call "Flush & Feed All In One Go".

Since you are in Week 1 of flower - it would be good preventative maintenance for your soil and your plant to do a "Flush & Feed All In One Go".

Are you seeing any issues with your plant right now?

Alright, we hope this helps - and please let us know if you have any other question.

And check this out if you enjoy theory:

00.jpg
The Perfect pH Value For A Cannabis Plant

PS - if you really want to know the pH of your soil, you can do a "Slurry Test".

Hey @Dan10thousand , welcome to 420 Magazine!

We're glad you are following the "how to water a potted plant" article - it is very helpful.

I had this exact question when I first started, and here's what I learned.

In soil, it is a good idea to track your pH and ppm while feeding - it's a double check to make sure your feed is in range and you are on track.

BTW, as an aside, a lot of people here use ppm still, but a lot of us are encouraging everyone to switch to using EC because it is a universal measurement.

With soil, the runoff pH and EC are not going to mean very much. The runoff is going to contain a lot of salts, particulates and debris which are going to skew your numbers - especially the ppm!

Soil has a natural ability to buffer its own pH - dolomite lime plays a big role in this - but the pH can and will drift (become more acidic) over time.

Also, if the water you are using is alkaline (hard) you will see a quicker drift in the pH of your soil.

This is why we choose to flush our plants growing in soil, with 3 times the pot size of water, every 4 weeks - it helps us avoid pH drift and also removes the built up salts and debris. We then follow the flush with an immediate pH balanced feed - something we have decided to call "Flush & Feed All In One Go".

Since you are in Week 1 of flower - it would be good preventative maintenance for your soil and your plant to do a "Flush & Feed All In One Go".

Are you seeing any issues with your plant right now?

Alright, we hope this helps - and please let us know if you have any other question.

PS - if you really want to know the pH of your soil, you can do a "Slurry Test".

Thanks @Emilya - I learned all this from you! :hug:

Back
Top Bottom