Proposed first grow setup

Drazhar

I have recently decided to get into growing. I have had originally decided to get a Stanley 336 growbox from Accelerated Technologies as I felt they have the best growbox on the market! They really seem to have the nailed concept of "stealth". It is truly an AWESOME product! However, I ran into one problem: lack of money to pay for it.:(((( So, after coming to the realization that it would take me forever to get my hands on one of those boxes, I decided to buy a tent and borrow some of the concepts that impressed me about the Stanley 336. I know I could build a growbox for cheaper than a Stanley. While I do believe I have the technical skills to build a stealth box, since I have never even seen a growbox in person, I do NOT have the knowledge necessary to feel comfortable about building a "working stealth" growbox for a 1st time project, as I believe that there are little things that go into making a box as stealthy as I need it to be that I do not know. Given what I know now, I still have so much more to learn especially since this will be my first grow.
At any rate, I realized that if I want to get into growing soon, I would need start with another alternative that was within my budget, and would still give me a decent yield, without compromising stealth. I have composed a list that I would like some review and comment on. BTW, this setup is based upon 5-gallon buckets in a RDWC setup that I built myself and am now testing this build.

Proposed System components:

1 - 2ft x 4ft x 6ft grow tent. (Sunhut grow tent. I was originally looking at Gorilla grow tents. But, they are almost 2x the price, and I am not sure that this tent is almost twice the quality as the Sunhut growtent.)
3 — 5 gallon black buckets where one is the control bucket for my RDWC setup. LOVE DWC concept!!
2 — 6 inch netpots
1 — Eco185 submersible water pump (I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet this pump is)
1 — Eco4 air-pump (a little noisier than I would like. I would like a quieter air-pump for stealth purposes)
1 — Phresh airfilter (carbon)
1 - Vortex S-Line Ultra Quiet Fan 6" 347 CFM (Will need a fan controller)
3 — 180 watt LED panels. Looking in to the VIPAR line that is 3w as I understand plants absorb 1w & 3w light better than 5w light.
2 — Florescent lights to provide white light
1 — RO filter
1 — Meter to measure PPM, and water temps
1 — Temperature/Humidity gauge​

Strains I am looking to buy from Nirvana and grow in my grow to keep smell either non-existent or low.
  1. Northern Lights — This will be a part of my first grow!!
  2. Blue Mystic — Low odor?
  3. Bubblelicious — I heard this strain is low odor and/or doesn't smell like mj during flowering
  4. Papaya
  5. Nirvana Urban Poison

That's a basic list of my system to date. I have a couple of questions about my setup.
  1. Anybody out there grow these strains? I am interested in comments from people who have grown these strains as I want to know about the smell during flowering. Especially the Bubblelicious strain.
  2. I am also interested in airflow throughout the grow tent? Since smell in the grow area is a concern, I wanted to know if I need to have negative air pressure on tent(not preferred as I don't like the idea of the walls of the tent being sucked in), or should it be roughly equal to tent cfm?
  3. I also wanted to get an opinion about LED lights as I heard it was better to have small and more LED lights than 1 big LED light to ensure even light coverage throughout the grow area.

Finally, I have a question about nutes:
I am looking at using one of three nute packages:
  • Dynagro
  • Advanced Nutrients
  • General Hydroponics

Which one of these do you recommend based on your experience? Any comments you all have out there would be useful. Thank you very much in advance!

Hello there. Very nice intro. I can try and help you with some info. For your air flow ? a 100-200cfm fan should be fine. you can change your air flow with most tents by adjusting the intakes on the bottom. Just make sure you get a nice carbon filter for smell.I am not sure about where you heard about having more smaller leds is better. I would say that would not be true. Let say you had a 4'x4'' room and you ran one 600 watt led to cover the whole area. Then in another 4'x4' tent you put two 200 watt led to cover the space. Now the 600 will flower way better buds. The bigger light will penetrate way better then the lower power. Now the only time more lights would be better would be when you are growing in a bigger area then the big lights can handle. Like my 10'x5' there is no one light that can cover. Now I will tell you adding side lights to any grow room is better. there will always be side and lower areas that do not get good enough like to make good size buds. Most side and lower turns out to be pop corn buds. So adding side lights is the way to go. Your tent I know of some really good light for that. I am using three of them right now. Sorry to ramble on I am just trying to throw some info out there. Your post sounds like you got a awesome growing set up plan. As far a the nute package I will Private message you the best one I know of if you would like me too.

Back
Top Bottom