PVC Long Reach Sprayer

Skybound

PVC Sprayer.jpg

This is a fairly simple build and only common carpentry/auto tools needed. I had to order a set of "Mop Mob" sprayer heads from Amazon as that specific brand has all of the right sized components to work very well with 1/2" schedule 40 PVC. The reason a set is needed is because one spray head and one bottle needs to be sacrificed so we can harvest the threaded parts, this it's juust the matter of gluing the threaded parts to the PVC and that's all there is to it. You determine how long the reach length is. I made mine "Yay" long in case you wanted to do the same.

The other critical parts are 1/4" OD tubing (like used for RO filters)
at least 5' of 1/2" PVC pipe
2 - PVC Tees
1 - PVC End Cap
1 - 1/4" check valve. The one I found has a barb on both ends so I had to heat the tubing some to shove in the barbs. The 1/4" tubing fits right into the Mop Mob sprayer head nice and tight. When you pull out their straw, keep the filter sock on the end and put that just before the check valve at the beginning of the inlet. Sadly, this modification will not work without the check valve due to there just being too much inlet hose, so the weight of the water in it will cause the system to be infiltrated with air. Also, some fidgeting will likely be needed to reset the sprayer.

IMO, it is so sad that nothing like this is on the market. I tried to merge the sprayer head with a pump sprayer wand, but this head/nozzle combo wouldn't work well enough with the wand parts and I wasn't able to get an atomized spray. This config I do get the misted spray I seek. If anyone has difficulty finding a check valve, LMK, and I'll scour the internet for some options.

Also, I forgot, I'm using a stainless V grooved wheel that I got for my 3D printer. They can be found on Amazon for cheap and that come with bearings that are decent enough for this application. Otherwise, I would use something metal with a smooth surface like a nail or shoulder screw, just something that a wire or strong can glide on to transfer the energy from your finger downstream to the spray head. Because I used the V groove wheel, I obviously had to hack out the PVC material to make way for the wheel. If you use a nail, you won't need to remove nearly as much. a moto tool would make short work of it, but I used a hacksaw, a drill and a large file to make the opening.

cut bottle neck.jpg
Parts.jpg
sanding cap.jpg
Tubing.jpg
Wasted Spray Head.jpg

I'm not going to lie, this is super buggy in spite of there being a check valve at the very beginning of the circuit. So users need to invert the spray head and rapid trigger till the system is primed. Once primed, the user can use the sprayer as intended, but due to gravity and other laws of physics that I don't really grasp, that prime is broken and the user has to prime it all again. If nothing else, I hope someone sees this thing and works out the bugs in a new design or even if the market all of a sudden has such a device, I'd be happy to buy one.

Back
Top Bottom