Quantum T5 Badboy

Hey,

I'm a new member and was inspired by your T5 Bad Boy journal. I have a 2x4x5 grow tent and was thinking of buying the 6 bulb model. Do you think that will be sufficient for both vegetative growth and flowering? This will be my first grow and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks man and keep up the good work!

JD

Hey,

I'm a new member and was inspired by your T5 Bad Boy journal. I have a 2x4x5 grow tent and was thinking of buying the 6 bulb model. Do you think that will be sufficient for both vegetative growth and flowering? This will be my first grow and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks man and keep up the good work!

JD

My 8 bulb BB barely fits in 2 X 4. FYI it is somewhat heavy and you will need to anchor it near the top so you can raise lower.

Make sure you have adequate venting.

5 ft is not much room to grow. You should use 5G pots- 3G will force smaller plans from bigger strains; best to grow AFs. Unfortunately, many AFs are still unstable, at least as far as meeting the short harvest advertisements. Mine are well over a month longer than stated harvest, and just started clustering pistils after I dropped from 20/4 to 12/12 (it took a week) hth

My 8 bulb BB barely fits in 2 X 4. FYI it is somewhat heavy and you will need to anchor it near the top so you can raise lower.

Make sure you have adequate venting.

5 ft is not much room to grow. You should use 5G pots- 3G will force smaller plans from bigger strains; best to grow AFs. Unfortunately, many AFs are still unstable, at least as far as meeting the short harvest advertisements. Mine are well over a month longer than stated harvest, and just started clustering pistils after I dropped from 20/4 to 12/12 (it took a week) hth

Thanks for the advice brother.

Have you harvested after having used only a T5? If so, what did you think of the results?

I was thinking of doing AF's, especially considering that I'm new to this and have limited space. I'm a little confused though - aren't AF's supposed to flower even under a 24/0 or an 18/6 schedule? Is that what you mean by unstable - some still need to be forced into flowering?

Btw, how potent are AF's like Lowryder 2, etc? How would you compare an AF Northern Lights with a "normal" strain?

Glad to be of help.

This is my first T 5. I am very impressed with veg stage. No reason why flower should not be excellent too.

AFs should be under 20/4 throughout, but the damned things refused to flip. After 3 months vegg, I decided to push them.

This is my first AF grow and I have never smoked any prior. Growing because it fits in with my HPA set up.

Click on my journal

I was reading a post from GSL (420 Sponsor) who incorporates Green LEDS which are ~ 5000K or covers the ~500nm spectrum.

I had previously read where Green is needed to improve chlorophyll production, so was keen to read more. GSL calls it 'Quantum Technology'. Apparently it acts as a catalyst (supercharger) for the R/B spectrums. According to him, the benefit is greater yield and shorter grow/harvest. Well, it reinforces what I had previously read and ups the ante!

I have spent a few hours searching for ~ 5000K T 5 HO bulbs and finally located this link (also found a 4K bulb)

Technical Consumer Products, Inc., TCP 54W 5000K T5 Fluorescent Lamp F54T5/850

Looks like I'll be blending a couple into my 8 bulb Quantum Bad Boy. Anybody already doing this?

Holy Crap! They have a bunch of tweener K bulbs as well, but looks like they sell cases only. Still, it's a start

hth

I'd be pretty skeptical of that myself. The reason that leaves look green is that they reflect light from the green spectrum - meaning it bounces off and is not absorbed. Black objects look black because they absorb all spectrum, white objects reflect all (visible, at least) spectrum of light.

Based on that I'd say you'd be wasting energy blasting green light at a green leaf. You might get a little bit absorbed at certain frequencies, but it just seems like a huge waste.

I'll stick with HID's until LEDs can really keep up. Those new Baddass ballasts look like a much better investment to me.

Not from what I've read.

I was told to get one of these ATI Aquablue Special T5 HO Bulb if you need more green than your current 6500 produces- some have a strong green range, others not much.

I have tried to get the info from Quantum but little luck so far. Seems odd they would not post spectrum graph for each bulb.

I know that plants can use SOME green light, but most of it is wasted. The exact frequency of green light they can get the most benefit from would depend on exactly which shade of green the leaves are. That varies from plant to plant and even day to day.

It just seems like a lot of energy going into something with relatively minor reward - especially when you consider that most types of lighting don't completely lack green wavelength output anyway. They just don't put out much, and the plants just don't use much, so it seems like a pretty decent fix.

Actual studies have been done that refute your assumptions

Such as?

To be clear, I'm inquiring about two things. Specifically, to which studies (plural) are you referring and what assumptions of mine do said studies refute?

I've clearly stated how things appear to me, but to my knowledge I haven't actually made any assumptions on those perceptions. "This is how things look to me, this is the knowledge I'm aware of, and based on that this is what appears to be likely." No assumptions there.

If you have a counter-argument, make it. If you have evidence, present it. Don't simply stand there and say "you're wrong, neener, neener, neener". My nephew isn't even in big-boy pants yet and he can do that much.

HH: Um you said "Based on that I'd say you'd be wasting energy blasting green light at a green leaf. You might get a little bit absorbed at certain frequencies, but it just seems like a huge waste."

I feel no need to do your homework. As you seem to need some direction, try googling

I feel no need to do your homework. As you seem to need some direction, try googling

This is not how adults handle a disagreement.

If I come up and say I've found proof that all pigs are capable of unassisted flight, and you (rationally and naturally) challenge whether that proof exists, I do not get to turn around and tell you if you want to see it you should find it yourself. That's childish.

Furthermore, it's an informal logical fallacy. It's called an "argument from ignorance" where basically it is asserted that a position is correct because it cannot be proved false.

If I don't believe the studies exist (which I'm beginning to believe ever more strongly since you're so hesitant to produce them) I cannot be expected to be impartial in the search for them.

Take for example two objects: God and bananas. One can easily be proven to exist, the other is not easily proven to exist. However, let's say I had never actually seen a banana and was skeptical they actually existed. You insisted they did. Now which makes more sense, to insist that I look for bananas to prove they exist, or to have someone who knows both that they exist and (more importantly) where they exist get one and present it as evidence of existence?

I could look in a great many places and find absolutely no bananas, then come to the false conclusion that bananas do not exist. Similarly, I could spend a great deal of time trying to find God only to come up empty-handed as well.

Say I found plantains instead of bananas. I could come to many false conclusions about bananas if I thought I had found them but had actually found something similar, but not the same.

So if I go Googling for the legendary studies you claim exist. How would I know whether I had simply not found them yet as opposed to them not actually existing? And if I found one, how would I know it was what you were talking about? Perhaps it was a similar, but not identical study that came to different conclusions.

YOU say the studies exist. YOU say they refute what I've said.

YOU bear the burden of proving that to be so. I've stated my side. I can't do your job too.

Well I can, but if you leave it up to me you'll invariably lose if for no other reason than I want to win. And I think you're wrong. It would be very difficult for me to formulate a winning argument for you when I think you're wrong.

as in my experiance no amount of google n internet hoopla will ever come close to hands on and use of products or 1st person visual analisis . truthfully my t5 sits in my closet now and my leds were a total waste of money . i have 2 600 hps hid cool tubes running the show now and would only be happyr with the ability to use thousands of watts more .
you wont find better production than hid in your grow room for the price and knowledge . its tried and true . if you want to add supplement lighting thats on you . your money but as ive said i have wasted alot on em all n the only thing truely worth every cent was the hps .nothing compares to the all around productivity n usability than hid in my growing experiances .leds cant match hid watt for watt or for intensity (you can try the spectrum arguement but it only works when you have thousands of watts and dollars invested in leds to get the same sq footage or productivity as just a few hid's - thats a fact ). that my friends you will only know by first person experiance .

:Namaste:

Hey,

JD

no get an hps / metal h. and a very good ventilation system . tyhisd is the vein of any truely good grow . great ventilation. the great lighting . next is the genetics and last what you do with them. but all you heat n probs wont be a factor if you have supirior ventilation. this is what many lack in even more grows. dont be fooled by false tactics any grow light puts off alot of heat for normal circumstances and all will need ventilation. minaswell gety a versitile and very productive light like an hps instead of something like flouro's or leds.

Im no expert by far, but I'm in a couple of closets, and a tent.... Id really like to be able to use a hps/mh system. but Im inches away from the closet and bedroom on the other side (a condo/apartment). I can't deal with heat/noise/vibration issues that come with a 'pro' system... So, my BadBoy light and LEDswork well for me. Now I realize I am not bringing in record harvesting yeids...but it works for me and Im sure plenty of others out there...

Thanks

aquarium bulbs just have more red spec in them .ive used em , not impressed . my t5 worked well in veg best.. and was ok in flowr but for only 2 plants.

Back
Top Bottom