Rabbit poop is here to stay!

Thank you Modest grower, the RH is at 52%, I would be able to bring that up a bit, but probably it is the (too low) temperature, which is at 18C / 65F right now. I think the (maybe too strong) exhaust fan is sucking cold air from the basement into the dresser that is my "grow room". I will see what I can do about that, if I can increase the temperature, the RH will go a bit up again as well.
Thanks again for your comment, I was too focused on the rabbit stuff that I forgot to look for anything else.
A speed control for your exhaust fan will go a long way to controlling the environment in the grow space. :peace: :Rasta:

A speed control for your exhaust fan will go a long way to controlling the environment in the grow space. :peace: :Rasta:
Yes, I have one (not in place) , it is one of the better options I guess.

April 7, 2020

This is the plant in the dresser in R-DWC. It looks great (at least to me…). The Ph. is stable on 6.4 and the roots are still getting more and bigger, perhaps the Ph. 6.4 is good in combination with rabbit tea? I could bring it down again with Ph down but I know already that that would go up within hours. At least it stays stable and I see no harm done (until now) so I will keep it this way.

There are several smaller branches with tops at the bottom of this plant, I am going to take a few as new clones, improve the basics like temperature, RH, scrog AND another ratio for the tea, after that this plant goes to a 12/12 light schedule.
april7_2.jpgapril7_3.jpg

April 7, 2020

After the positive outcome of the comparison test on my 4 pepper plants with rabbit tea, I decided to test on a bigger scale and included more pepper plants, now not more using the tea as additional fertilizer but as only fertilizer, but different nutrient ratios. The 6 plants on the left have triple the dose as the ones on the right, this test spans a little bit more than one week, don’t know about you guys but I think it is pretty impressive.
LOL, I am constantly taking upcoming flower-buds off.
april7_4.jpg

I’ve read several times now that you cannot burn a plant with rabbit manure/tea, starts to look that way.

April 7, 2020

The End Game…..

Yes, final trial (I sure hope so) but first some history.
From the 2nd day I put my little clone in the rabbit compost, I decided that growing in soil would be the game for me. No air pumps, water pumps any more, no making new batches for hydro, the constant measuring of ppm’s and Ph.’s, so a much more a peaceful schedule and piece of mind, it was about time....

Then I realized that making rabbit tea could be great, started to do a lot of testing to see if I could find the good ratio/strength for the rabbit tea and I was on a very good way doing that, at least better and better results, great so far.

But yesterday evening, on my search for “cannabis rabbit tea", I found on old forum with someone who grew cannabis in 75% rabbit droppings with some compost soil and perlite. He had extreme good results if I can believe his posts and comments from members who saw the pictures he posted. The forum was not active anymore and I was not able to subscribe so I could not see and download the pictures. And oh…..HE ONLY GAVE THEM WATER, nothing else.

So here is the end game:
IMG_8201.JPG

I made 2 pots with peppers, the soil containing: (pots on the left)

• 25% perlite
  • 25% rabbit compost
  • 50% rabbit droppings
Two other pots with peppers, the soil containing: (pots on the right)

• 20% perlite
  • 70% rabbit compost
  • 10% rabbit droppings

The droppings were dry, more than 1 year old and the plan is to ONLY GIVE WATER. Wouldn’t that be something? No nutes, perhaps some extra during blooming but that would be it.
I am aiming for below, well, one can dream or not? :laughtwo: :laughtwo: And 4 plants are allowed in Canada....:yahoo:
1.jpg

IMG_8194.JPGIMG_8195.JPGIMG_8196.JPGIMG_8197.JPG

April 8, 2020

In order to be able to see (any….) progress in growth better, I have put skewers behind the plants with marks on them. The RED stickers represent plants with 50% droppings in the soil and the GREEN ones represent plants with only 10% droppings in the soil.

Yesterday, 1 hour after transplant, plant no 2 was lying completely flat on the clay pebbles. At first I thought I had damaged the stem with putting it in the soil but that didn’t seem to be the case. I put a skewer against it to keep it straight up and after 2 hours I could take the skewer away and the plant stayed nice straight up.
april8_1.jpg

I have also taken the weight of each plant so I can see if there is any difference in water uptake, although I am not sure that they take a lot when they are so small.

April 8, 2020

The new growth is doing well after topping this plant on April 1 and starting to give diluted rabbit tea a few days later. Maybe hard to see but below decks is massive growth of new tops, when bigger, I will clone 3 of them and let them grow outdoors in my compost pile.
april8_1.jpg

april8_2.jpg

The 2 thumbnails show the development of the little seedling peppers in 4 days after starting using diluted rabbit tea, not sure how you guys will call this, but I call it certainly not disappointing.
april8_3.jpgapril8_4.jpg

In order to get a better understanding what this “tea” can do, some people started using the tea as a foliar spray. 3 different batches with variations of kelp and/or molasses added. I can’t do that myself, as I don’t have enough plants lol. Just bringing up an idea…..
IMG_8212.JPG

I finally got caught up with your thread. I'm still waiting on my droppings from my buddy. I have already sprouted some extra squash and cucumbers to do some tests as well. I want to taste the difference in those vegetables since they can be watered more frequently without having to worry about it too much. I have some extra Blue Dream seedlings and a clone Do-Sa-Do variety that I wanted to try the rabbit tea with.

As for foliar spray, simply dilute your existing solution and add some molasses. Try it with some of the pepper plants to see how they uptake it. Do you have any tomato plants also? They would love a nitrogen rich foliar spray.

Also, your rabbit poop tea. Would it benefit a typical compost tea at all to add some rabbit poop? What would soaking and bubbling it for 24-36 hrs do I wonder? I do think that the quality of their feed is critical to the quality of the dropping and compost too. Unless their bodies process waste efficiently no matter what.

I finally got caught up with your thread. I'm still waiting on my droppings from my buddy. I have already sprouted some extra squash and cucumbers to do some tests as well. I want to taste the difference in those vegetables since they can be watered more frequently without having to worry about it too much. I have some extra Blue Dream seedlings and a clone Do-Sa-Do variety that I wanted to try the rabbit tea with.

As for foliar spray, simply dilute your existing solution and add some molasses. Try it with some of the pepper plants to see how they uptake it. Do you have any tomato plants also? They would love a nitrogen rich foliar spray.

Also, your rabbit poop tea. Would it benefit a typical compost tea at all to add some rabbit poop? What would soaking and bubbling it for 24-36 hrs do I wonder? I do think that the quality of their feed is critical to the quality of the dropping and compost too. Unless their bodies process waste efficiently no matter what.
I do not worry about difference in taste, I have been reading for many days now about tea and only read positive things. And what about compost soil with worm castings etc? Seaweed in the polluted oceans? The sheep/cow/shrimp compost that you can buy in the store, what fertilizer do you give now? What do companies use to make a liquid fertilizer with good NPK numbers? Rabbit manure has a NPK of 2.4 – 1.4 – 0.6 which is excellent. And rabbit manure is a cold manure, you don’t need to compost it first to get the “bad stuff” out.

Molasses
I do have a fraction of molasses in the tea that I use now and only because my neighbor feeds his girls with only molasses (so he says). Only like a teaspoon in the concentrate, actually I regret doing that, my peppers grow like hell but now I can’t compare “with and without” molasses.

However, I CAN show you the effect of rabbit tea without molasses compared with feeding only water, below is the present result of my very first feeding test, 2 plants without and 2 plants with rabbit tea. Strength of the tea is unknown as I just added some on a feeling….what the hell did I know… I think the result speaks for itself, guess I don’t have to point out which 2 plants got rabbit tea. (all 4 plants grow in rabbit compost)
april10.jpg

I have no tomatoes, I only do Jimmy Nardello peppers, we use them a lot in Thai dishes that we make and they are awesome sweet peppers for stir-fry.

Adding rabbit poop to a typical compost tea.
Not sure what you mean with “typical compost tea”, for me I think organic rabbit tea is the best so I guess it would be beneficial to add some, maybe better to replace it with rabbit tea?

Soaking and bubbling
There are many posts on the Internet from people who soak droppings in a 5 gallon container and aerate the mix for 1 or 2 days. I did not do that with my batch, just soaked droppings (next time in a pillow case) for a few hours and I threw the remainder of the droppings on the soil of my vegetable bed outdoors. You could also use it to make a compost pile I guess. In that case you don’t have to do a lot of effort to get the last PPM’s out of the droppings, I just throw that on my soil so nothing is lost.

Just wondering....
From the beginning (years ago) I have always wondered why we pay so much money for so many different concentrate liquid fertilizers, while what we actually do is buying NKP’s with some micro nutrients. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t say it is bad, and everybody is entitle to do so, but why are there so many different ones and how do they achieve their “organic” mix? I mean….organic is organic….from what do they make it?

Those peppers look happy! No doubt about that! Im excited to get my hands on that rabbit poop so I can start experimenting. Lol

Your response about the taste makes sense. The plant will break down what it can no matter what it comes from, liquid or organic matter. I primarily focus on feeding my soil and will provide nutrients in various ways (top dressing granular fertilizers, liquid organic fertilizer concoctions, and for the first time later today some compost tea. What I meant by typical compost tea is the recipes you can find online of folks using compost, worm castings, and a variety of other ingredients to brew up a tea that is aerated for 24+ hours. I'm still learning about them so please forgive the ignorance.

Since you stated the average NPK values of rabbit droppings, I imagine their diet must play a part in the final product. Having a baseline estimate of what they are is a good thing though. And knowing they can be used straight without having to age the droppings in a compost is awesome.

Those peppers look happy! No doubt about that! Im excited to get my hands on that rabbit poop so I can start experimenting. Lol

Your response about the taste makes sense. The plant will break down what it can no matter what it comes from, liquid or organic matter. I primarily focus on feeding my soil and will provide nutrients in various ways (top dressing granular fertilizers, liquid organic fertilizer concoctions, and for the first time later today some compost tea. What I meant by typical compost tea is the recipes you can find online of folks using compost, worm castings, and a variety of other ingredients to brew up a tea that is aerated for 24+ hours. I'm still learning about them so please forgive the ignorance.

Since you stated the average NPK values of rabbit droppings, I imagine their diet must play a part in the final product. Having a baseline estimate of what they are is a good thing though. And knowing they can be used straight without having to age the droppings in a compost is awesome.
Maybe the only concern I would have is, when I would get droppings from someone who feeds some sort of synthetic hormones to their rabbits so they get bigger and fatter. I could call NKP's also hormones I guess and we all want our plants bigger and the buds/fruits fatter but at least I know the NKP's in my droppings are all organic as the droppings I use are from the rabbits I used to have in the past, fed with Alfalfa pellets and Alfalfa hay. Actually, now I think of it, I don't know what the Alfalfa hay got in the field..... :oops:

I think we should draw a line somewhere I guess.

Actually, now I think of it, I don't know what the Alfalfa hay got in the field..... :oops:
Yeah...no way of knowing but a lot of alfalfa growers around here do not use pesticides or chemical fertilizers. Many of our equestrian folks in the surrounding communities are very keen on using organically produced hay products. I imagine it is probably the same in many other areas. You are right though, no way of knowing for sure unless you specifically sought after certified organic feed. I'm sure your poopy is fine! :laughtwo: :laughtwo::laughtwo:

I am not concerned about it at all, I am not an “overly” eat healthy person, well I try to eat healthy but still buy my veggies at the grocery store on the normal shelf, not in the “organic” aisle. I meant more rabbits who were given grow hormones straight into their food or water to create “body builder” rabbits.

I buy my beef from a local farmer, he raises Black Angus and his cows are grass fed. I buy on average 1 quarter of a cow at a time (100+ lbs net, depending of the cow). Awesome quality and taste, much cheaper ( CAD$ 4.50 lb/net.) and healthy fed. Can hardly wait to throw some T-bones and top-sirloins on the BBQ when the weather gets better.

April 10, 2020

Interesting update on the girl in the dresser. On April 4 I filled back up the reservoir with rabbit tea in the mix. I brought down the PH. from 6.5 to Ph. 5.6 but the next day it was Ph. 6.5 again.

Today, April 10, the Ph. is down to 6.2, the plant looks really healthy, grows well, drinks well, and the roots are really having a party in the reservoir…..amazing!
april10_1.jpgapril10_2.jpg

April 11, 2020

Update on the little clone in soil.

This plant is doing fine, this morning I switched to rabbit tea ONLY and dosed 300% higher than before. No Ph. adjustment. The meat injector is very handy, it has a scale on it and a max. volume of 30 ml. I have put 100 ml of my concentrate in 900 ml of tap water. The big advantage of the injector is, that you can dose accurate without having to touch the tea with anything else. I suck up from the bucket and discharge the injector into the 1 liter bottle. It is just great, I bought it online on Amazoloulou.canada and I paid CAD$ 9.19, two day shipping per courier included…. :cool: (I have prime)
I could not find an injector with a needle at Walmart or Canadian tire.
april11_1.jpgapril11_2.jpgapril11_3.jpg
The span between the leaves is now 17" and they started to touch the side of the chest so I turned the bucket a bit.

April 12, 2020

I might have over-done with the triple dose rabbit tea as nutrients, I start to see yellow tips on the leaves. I just flushed the plant with Ph. 6.0 water and start again with a lower dose once I give water again.

HAPPY EASTERN AND STAY SAFE!
april12_1.jpgapril12_2.jpgapril12_3.jpgapril12_4.jpgapril12_5.jpg

Bet as they grow they will take the stronger dose. :peace: :Rasta:
Probably, Just didn't realize that the plant is already in a rabbit rich compost. Maybe it was over watering, or the combination.
Not sure, as the seedlings that I started 3 days ago in soil with 50% droppings are doing fine, update will follow later today.
Maybe the strength of the tea is much more aggressive than droppings in soil, as droppings give off the nutrients probably more gradually.

Back
Top Bottom