Recirculating Nutrient Schedule

My pH was highly variable as well. That bugged me and I never did figure it out. I adjusted it daily and things went OK though.

Have you heard of Advanced Nutrients' "pH Perfect" products? I asked about that on the general Hydroponics forum and people liked it and said it worked. I assume it's mixture of buffering to resist pH change plus chelating agents to make nutes more available.

Yes actually. I have the 1litre bottles of it but in my 25 gallon system it is just too much money to spend. It doesn't go as far, and is priced way to high. I got the AN pH perfect for $70 for 1 litre jugs and got 4L of the GH flora series for $140 taxes in. (Canadian Dollars)

I use the AN pH perfect for my two outdoor plants and when I am starting from seed in my little drain to waste container. Stuff is just too expensive

Interesting. I still have lots of GH to use up (it's going on my tomatoes and flowers), but had thought about AN for the next grow.

Thanks for the info!

No problem. Stuff works really good though. Used it for the fist week in my rdwc but ended up using so much that the 1 litre jug would have only got me 1/4-way done a full crop.
I will continue to use it in my dwc drain to waste as it is just nice to not have to watch the pH as often.
I wish it wasn't pricy cause it's very nice to use

Z7 is some kind of magic enzyme stuff. People do seem to like it, but I'm wary.

Z7 is an enzyme but its not magic. Your roots look like they've been brushed with Crest toothpaste. Pretty much anyone who has water temp or root issues uses either Z7 or Hydroguard. Hydroguard is expensive and is recommended to be used within 6 months of opening it. I could never use it up in 6 months in a 4 plant RDWC.

Is that last picture is after you changed water. It still looks very foamy to me.

I haven't changed the water yet. I have gotten the pH back down to 5.8 just going to see what it does next.

I need to find the problem/ solution.
dumping nutes down the drain sucks.
Any ideas?

Maybe just takes steps to reduce sudsing? Like turn down any air stones and release pumped water underwater and not at the surface where it splashes? (I'm thinking that the foaming may not actually be a big deal.)

Hey guys. (Pictures at bottom)
I have a quick question (again) :p

So believe it or not these plants are exactly the same age. I started growing 3 plants outside and tried growing 6 inside. I lost two on the way and the 4 stayed somewhat healthy I kept inside.
Now, before we started getting really into the hydroponics growing we were growing them with very little knowledge in a DWC container with a little tiny 45W led panel from ebay.
Since then we have moved them into a 2x4 tent, 450W led and the undercurrent rdwc. Now, they have seemed to stop growing. Been like this for a few weeks in the tent and nothing has changed.

My question is, should we take the 3 we are growing outside and move them into the grow tent? And take the ones in the tent and throw them out?
The ones outside are grown in soil with daily nuts given. I want to switch them into flower but don't know what to do with the ones in the tent?

Here are pictures of the them all.
369987d35cd9efc25379a1b4677d27d4.jpg
05e386c6aff01393a145c124927d1972.jpg
0dbf74275fdf6c15b0c7ee0ccc49ae5b.jpg
99e96c304fe5045f008acb56768c2e98.jpg
c6df7713269a1fca03c819dc71011be1.jpg

Since then we have moved them into a 2x4 tent, 450W led and the undercurrent rdwc. Now, they have seemed to stop growing. Been like this for a few weeks in the tent and nothing has changed.

I think your tent plants have stopped growing because they are in full flower. Better (brighter, closer) photos would help, but I do believe those are white pistils sticking out, no?

The outside plants look so happy that might thought would be to just leave them where they are doing well. Or are they photoperiod plants that need to switch over to 12/12 to flower?

I would suggest really reviewing your hydroponic technique before your next hydro grow. Those plants in the tent look like their roots might be drowning. Do you have them in soaking wet rock wool or something?

I think your tent plants have stopped growing because they are in full flower. Better (brighter, closer) photos would help, but I do believe those are white pistils sticking out, no?

The outside plants look so happy that might thought would be to just leave them where they are doing well. Or are they photoperiod plants that need to switch over to 12/12 to flower?

I would suggest really reviewing your hydroponic technique before your next hydro grow. Those plants in the tent look like their roots might be drowning. Do you have them in soaking wet rock wool or something?

Yes they have little pistils coming out, the plants are extremely small compared to other ones I've seen.
They are in hydroton, but the roots have barely made it out of the net cups.
I will take some better photos right now.

This was my first grow and I started growing clones I got from someone in soil and when I switcher them over to dwc they just never really seemed to do anything. Unfortunately I don't know the strains either.
I'm honestly tempted to just start over. Now that I have a better understanding of how to grow.

Yup, they're in bloom!

I'm guessing they are autos?

Yeah, I have no idea. I've tried doing research on how to tell what strain I have but couldn't find that much info.
I will do a transition res change Wednesday when I have time and switch to the 12/12 light schedule.
Thanks for the help

Here are the roots.
1d0a282f262072b709f51a6f9e7d777c.jpg

My next grow I am going to take way more seriously with all the new knowledge I have learned. But I will see how this goes.

They are in hydroton, but the roots have barely made it out of the net cups.
Only hydroton? Or were they in some kind of matrix like rock wool? Too-wet rockwool in hydroton will dwarf plants very nicely. Guesss how I know? ;)

I'm honestly tempted to just start over. Now that I have a better understanding of how to grow.
I think that's your best bet with the tent plants, yeah.

First grows seem to be a big learning experience for everyone. Now you have a nice tent, a good light, and more experience. I'll bet grow #2 rocks!

Only hydroton? Or were they in some kind of matrix like rock wool? Too-wet rockwool in hydroton will dwarf plants very nicely. Guesss how I know? ;)

When I got them they were in starter plugs
Not sure what type. I heard rockwoll cubes suck though.

High gr0w

I was going to say you should switch to RO water but I took a peek back and you're already using it so it must be those cheap nutes that are pushing your pH so high. I've done DWC in Rubbermaid tubs with AN nutes for 16 years and rarely change nutes at all. I just check the ppm and add small amouts of nutes to bring it back up where I want it and never bother checking pH since I started using the pH Perfect line. I just bought gallon jugs of the 3-part for $120 for all 3 so $10/qt/L so they don't cost any more than GH/Scotts/Mon$anto nutes.

I've never used any of the various bacterial blends and I think that's what's causing the cloudiness and pH rise. Before the pH perfect line I always used peroxide in the tubs and only had root rot problems a couple of times when I had used clones that I'd started in real dirt instead of soilless mixes. Tried rockwool and it didn't work for me so stuck to the soilless.

Something is really screwed up when your roots grew so little in all that time. In 10 days after dropping the clones in the net pots there's usually masses of roots with some a foot long already.

Airstones in your rez is good enough to move the nutes around and adding a submersible pump is only going to heat them up.

If you got some AN left I'd maybe try to run a batch of it after cleaning the rez etc but that's not going to be easy to get it sterile and keep the plants. Maybe fill with water first and run some peroxide. Get some food grade and circulate for 24 hours, pouring some down thru the net pots and then just add your nutes to about 500ppm and hope for the best. Don't use any flushing stuff tho. I've seen that stuff kill stressed plants in a day.

Good luck!

High gr0w

I was going to say you should switch to RO water but I took a peek back and you're already using it so it must be those cheap nutes that are pushing your pH so high. I've done DWC in Rubbermaid tubs with AN nutes for 16 years and rarely change nutes at all. I just check the ppm and add small amouts of nutes to bring it back up where I want it and never bother checking pH since I started using the pH Perfect line. I just bought gallon jugs of the 3-part for $120 for all 3 so $10/qt/L so they don't cost any more than GH/Scotts/Mon$anto nutes.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply. Once again learning even more.

May I ask where abouts you picked up AN 3 part gallon jugs for $120?

Back
Top Bottom