Recommendations on best seedling soil?

pointer80

Hello all, I have some seeds ordered that should be showing up any day now and I have everything ready but have one last question on what kind of soil I should put them in after I sprout them using the paper towel method. This is some seed starter mix I have but was wondering if I should get something better or will this be fine? Thanks in advance all.

Attachments

• soil.PNG
    soil.PNG
    263.3 KB · Views: 111
What medium do you plan to use for the actual grow?
Oh sorry, I plan on raising some mother plants big enough to clone for a in ground outdoor grow. My outdoor grow will be in organic soil that I have been building over a few years which consists of compost and aged manure, leaf mold etc. Thank you.

Oh sorry, I plan on raising some mother plants big enough to clone for a in ground outdoor grow. My outdoor grow will be in organic soil that I have been building over a few years which consists of compost and aged manure, leaf mold etc. Thank you.
If you already have access to that soil, just add 1 part to 2 parts Pro-Mix BX...that will carry the plant for 2-3 weeks.

Are you referring to my garden soil or the seed starting mix? My garden soil is under about 3 feet of snow lol.

I believe he's referencing your garden soil. Personally, I'd look for something close to your garden mix, if that's the burpee soil, get it and add anything extra you might need. (i. e. Perlite)
Goodluck!

Are you referring to my garden soil or the seed starting mix? My garden soil is under about 3 feet of snow lol.
Yup, that is what I meant. How long do you plant to have them in the pots? You may want to invest in a bag of actual soil versus "seed starting". Maybe a FFOF or Coast of Maine type soil.

Yup, that is what I meant. How long do you plant to have them in the pots? You may want to invest in a bag of actual soil versus "seed starting". Maybe a FFOF or Coast of Maine type soil.
That depends on when the seeds arrive and how quick they veg. to the point they are big enough for clones. I am thinking about 4 to six weeks.

That depends on when the seeds arrive and how quick they veg. to the point they are big enough for clones. I am thinking about 4 to six weeks.
As I suspected...that is worth investing in real soil, not just starter soil...probably not much difference in price. Get a FFOF or Stonington Blend and cut either with 30% perlite. They'll be happy and healthy for weeks (and make sure you have a large enough pot for the 4-6 weeks...at least 1 gallon). :goodluck:

I've had great success with Fox farms soil so far. I started off with Happy Frog, and switched to the FFOF when I up-potted. The only reason I started with HF, was I had seen people saying that the FFOF is too hot for seedlings, but I've seen a few Grow Journals here that had zero issues using it from seed. I like the FF soil, cause it's the closest thing to the mix I usually make, that wasn't frozen! Ha!

Thanks for all the input guy's. I actually discovered a product made locally right here in Northern Michigan by a company called Morgans composting which is specifically blended for cannabis seed starting/cloning. It's called smokin tomatoes seed/cloning mix.

Back
Top Bottom