Ripening for harvest

kaw900r

Has anyone tried dimming the light a little maybe to 70% for the last couple weeks to promote ripening? I use GH nutes so does anyone use the ripening nute? I personally don't see the need to flush, my take on that is the curing process will take care of it. T/u in advance

I personally don't see the need to flush,
Good point, I assume it depends on what you are feeding. For example, yard fertilizer is toxic and if that is used, you really should flush for a better taste, where as most of the name brand food products designed for cannabis is designed to more human-taste friendly. Just my take.
I'm curious how you light dimming technique works out.
Nice post.

Ripening nute??? Is that a joke...they have ripening nutes? I was laughing the other day as I saw all the forum people talking about cold temps making purple buds....some were even putting ice on the soil..don't tell them that one of the "sponsors" has it figured out...you can just buy the color purple with...PUPINATOR...lmfao...you don't even need the gene...SMH

I have experimented quite a bit with the light and cycles. Reducing the intensity of the light may increase the terpene by a small amount but it is really hard to quantify and compare smell. Overall it will reduce the plants production, slowing the process. Only reason I would do this is if my drying room is full. Decreasing the hours of light will push the plant into panic mode. The plant will see the growing season is coming to an end so it better hurry up. You can add 1 or 2 hours of dark. The longer the nights, the faster it will ripen. Keep in mind the plant will stop production and shift into ripening what it has already grown. You don't want to sacrifice the most productive bud growth stage in exchange for harvesting a little earlier. I occasionally have equatorial plants that just stall during late flower. Reducing and hour of light will jump start the progress again.

I have used bud candy and molasses with mixed results. As for ripening nutes, they are mostly snake oil. The plant will only take what it needs, you can not force feed it. Last few weeks of flower the plant is drawing vary little from the roots other than water. It draws most of what it needs from the stored energy in the fan leaves to finish the ripening process.

I have experimented quite a bit with the light and cycles...

... Last few weeks of flower the plant is drawing vary little from the roots other than water. It draws most of what it needs from the stored energy in the fan leaves to finish the ripening process.
I'd go along with that, except towards the end, lamps with UV on full power can deteriorate the THC so I do turn down full strength for the last couple weeks
As you say, very little photosynthesis/new growth is occurring at that stage and in its natural environment it matures in the weaker light after the summertime

Ripening nute??? Is that a joke...they have ripening nutes?
What some of us call "finishers'. A fertilizer mix with higher Phosphorous or Potassium to be used to give the plant system the nutrients it needs to boost flower production well into flowering usually the last several weeks.

some were even putting ice on the soil
It is interesting what people sometimes come up with.;)

Isn't that what bottle nutes do though? Toxicity is a result of force feeding.
Build up of salts is one problem.

I am thinking that it is not toxicity so much as what is called "lockout". More of a case as too much of one good thing creates an adverse reaction in which the plant will not take up what it needs or maybe not able to process it. Along the lines of what we see when looking at a Mulder's Chart.

Isn't that what bottle nutes do though? Toxicity is a result of force feeding.
The use of adding bottles nutes is fill in any minor temporary deficiency's. For example only. If a plant can survive on 3 grams of N at any stage and let's say it can process 7 grams under the right conditions at the correct stage of growth. If your medium has 3 grams of N it is good for lest say 50% of the time. The other 50% you can add N to boost the plant during that stage only, for optimum results.

Yes, over feeding can cause toxicity to the medium that in turn effects the plant. Two sides of the same coin. So you are force feeding the medium, not the plant. Sticking to the N example. Adding too much (more than the 7 grams) N will not flood the plant with extra N. The amount of N taken up by the plant is high but not much more than the 7 grams max. The excess of N locks out the plants ability to absorb potassium and calcium. Early stage excessive N looks like a calcium deficiency because it is. As the plant uses up it's store of calcium the chemical reactions slow to a stop. When the reaction slows it displays itself as N burn. Limiting or unbalancing your reactants (salts) or catalyst (light and h2o) will negatively effect any reaction.

Ripening nute??? Is that a joke...they have ripening nutes? I was laughing the other day as I saw all the forum people talking about cold temps making purple buds....some were even putting ice on the soil..don't tell them that one of the "sponsors" has it figured out...you can just buy the color purple with...PUPINATOR...lmfao...you don't even need the gene...SMH

There is a ripening by GH called Ripen.

T/u all it was just something I was thinking about, always looking at tweaking for better buds

Back
Top Bottom