Root bounding

Fry

Anyone know abt root bounding??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 19
It depends what medium you’re growing in. Yours looks like fairly dense soil, so maybe plants need more root space in that stuff? I don’t know- I’m not a soil grower.

In my experience it takes a lot before a plant really starts to suffer from being rootbound.
When it does you’ll get yellowing and an unhealthy look, plus slow or stalled growth.

Your plant looks totally fine. If it was in my grow I’d say it could easily get four times the size before thinking about a transplant. But I’m not in soil, I’m in peat moss.

Also. Since your pot isn’t full, all you have to do is fill it up and you’ll have almost twice as much soil. No need for a transplant.

Honestly I was surprised to read what people said in your other thread, and in a lot of threads in general - people always telling other growers how their plants need to be up-potted ASAP.

My plants totally thrive in small pots.

Right now my veg room is overfull for various reasons and I’m waiting for some other things to develop before I can start up-potting what’s in there. All my plants are in one gallon pots. Also most of the pots are only 1/2 to 3/4 full.

I have over a dozen in there that are 24” or higher. They’re totally happy.

Here’s an example for the front row. It’s 26” high in about 2/3 of a gallon. A little spindly maybe from being neglected in the jungle. But does it look unhealthy or rootbound? No.

My general thinking is that the plant size should ideally be two to three times the size of the pot. That allows for a good watering timeline. Once the plant is four times the size of the pot, or five times as mine are, its probably time to think about transplanting.

It also relates to age. Over time the pot becomes clogged with old roots. Your plant hasn’t had that time.

But- I’m growing in peat moss as I said. Soil is often denser and less oxygenated, plus the way the plant feeds in that pot of soil might be different from my system.

Still I think you’re miles away from becoming rootbound

i wash away the dirt n spread out the roots right around n can bet it n water it n also clip some brown roots

I watched a video on youtube so I tired it so gonna see it works glad u said it won’t hurt it much because I was trying to be careful as well

It depends what medium you’re growing in. Yours looks like fairly dense soil, so maybe plants need more root space in that stuff? I don’t know- I’m not a soil grower.

In my experience it takes a lot before a plant really starts to suffer from being rootbound.
When it does you’ll get yellowing and an unhealthy look, plus slow or stalled growth.

Your plant looks totally fine. If it was in my grow I’d say it could easily get four times the size before thinking about a transplant. But I’m not in soil, I’m in peat moss.

Also. Since your pot isn’t full, all you have to do is fill it up and you’ll have almost twice as much soil. No need for a transplant.

Honestly I was surprised to read what people said in your other thread, and in a lot of threads in general - people always telling other growers how their plants need to be up-potted ASAP.

My plants totally thrive in small pots.

Right now my veg room is overfull for various reasons and I’m waiting for some other things to develop before I can start up-potting what’s in there. All my plants are in one gallon pots. Also most of the pots are only 1/2 to 3/4 full.

I have over a dozen in there that are 24” or higher. They’re totally happy.

Here’s an example for the front row. It’s 26” high in about 2/3 of a gallon. A little spindly maybe from being neglected in the jungle. But does it look unhealthy or rootbound? No.

My general thinking is that the plant size should ideally be two to three times the size of the pot. That allows for a good watering timeline. Once the plant is four times the size of the pot, or five times as mine are, its probably time to think about transplanting.

It also relates to age. Over time the pot becomes clogged with old roots. Your plant hasn’t had that time.

But- I’m growing in peat moss as I said. Soil is often denser and less oxygenated, plus the way the plant feeds in that pot of soil might be different from my system.

Still I think you’re miles away from becoming rootbound
They are happy and healthy mate but also clearly root bound. Thats why none of your secondary branches are growing and they're only as wide as the pot.
Once the roots get bound the plant thinks it only has as wide as the pot space wise above so won't grow passed the sides. Doesn't stop them growing up the way, only out the way.
Not a bad thing if your doing it on purpose for a sog or whatever but when its a plant you want to get bigger then it's a brick wall situation. Like the OP's.

Back
Top Bottom