Rotary Motor

infinitylimit

Alright so I decided to grow in my closet and it's a small 1 plant project right now. I have two 4 foot ballast lights setup 1 with 2 cool white bulbs and 1 with 2 grow lux bulbs. I'm also using jiffy pots and just had it sprout and it's doing great after 4 days.

I once visited a light shop by my house and they had these huge light setups that spun the light to even out the light and cancel shadowing. The tomatoes that grew under it looked fantastic. At this point that seems a little superfluous but I'm thinking if I took a rotary motor from say a record player or a fan motor and fashioned a flat even surface underneath and just spun the plant would it produce the similar effect?

I know I use to always manually turn the other plants I would grow to counter the turning and dying of leaves. I guess my worry is the centrifugal motion on the plant it self, obviously if it's too fast and stem too weak it will topple. Also the fact that to counter the topple it will concentrate on strong stem growth possibly leading to less leaf production. Not to mention any other weird effects on the rooting system, ect.

On the upside though there is a potential for better light penetration, and air flow from the plant moving through the air adding evaporation. This was a crazy but sane enough idea that perhaps others have either opinions or have knowledge of this.

Interesting Idea... the only concern that jumps to mind is the electrical stuff powering the turntable. It would be bad to have water/fertilizer dripping down onto anything powered with electricity.. :smokin:

Peace
MC

After seeing how much in bent itself in a day, and the fact I don't want to turn it all the time I need to figure something out.

The water/electricity problem is certainly something I need to look at, I think it will be fine though because most things are in pots/trays/plates. Last night I scoured my place for a motor that would work, turns out that a fan motor has way too much power for this application. I have a remote control helicopter motor that would probably work but I wanted something power line feed, not on batteries.

I plan on going to Good Will today or tomorrow and will post pictures if I come up with something.

In my opinion, I do not think that the record player motor would have the torque necessary to turn a plant in a large pot because it weighs too much. Also, the same thing with a model helicopter motor. These motors may be able to generate high speeds, but add some weight to it and it will more than likely go nowhere. It's a neat idea, but if your only growing small then the difference between using light movers and not will be negligible.

I would worry more about growing just 1 plant if I were you. If the 1 plant you have turns out male then all your hard work was basically wasted.

We stoners like to complicate things lol. Be really cool to see this ideal come to fruitation. Gonna make the plant dizzy!!! LMAO

s.o.a.d gurl said:
haha i got excited cuz i thought this was bout the mazda rotarys lol... {i love rotarys} neva mind then.
:hmmmm: Something about a woman gettin excited over an engine just turns me on :cheesygrinsmiley: ....Wanna come over and listen to my Harley ? :smokin:

I have played with this theory and still use it now. I ruled out any type of electric motor due to the complication of it, to many things that can go wrong. I just use a round piece of plywood that is 4' in diameter mounted to a large tabletop bearing. (my room is 4'w x 5'l x 7'h so it fits nicely) I rotate it 90 degrees twice a day, I have a 400mh and a 400hps and this gives the plants a good dose of each daily. 9 plants normally sit niceley. I have fond that the plants in the middle that receive a constant dose of both spectrums are extremely strong and out perform all the rest.... to account for this I rotate them on the tray and always put the shortest plants to the middle. I also find that it is very convenient to use "tomato cages" as it keeps the plants from spreading out and hittins the walls when rotating.
I have always still planned on automating it but I kind of like the personal touch... if I automate it too much I might put myself out of work. :laughtwo:

Jonny

Back
Top Bottom