Running dual spectrum lights MH/HPS for flowering

Re: Running dual spectrum lights MH/HPS for flowering.

Running a MH and HPS seems to make sense. My opinion is it wouldn't hurt.

But.... What about running a dual arc bulb from one ballast? These bulbs are basically both a MH and HPS in one bulb. They're pretty expensive but if using both HPS and MH really is better during flowering then I would buy these bulbs.

I think this would also be better than running two separate ballasts with different bulbs. A single bulb would more effectively blend the spectrum's then 2 light sources.

I no I'm late here but from what I understand if ur setup allows it, it's much more efficient to have 2x600 than 1x 1k, and not just because the obvious lumens/watt ratio. The more points of light you have the more coverage, less shadows, etc, . A single 6 in 400 cfm inline fan can handle 2 lights, easy so long as u duct right

Anyone ever done dual spectrum lighting for flowering before? I've done a few grows with just HPS for flowering, but some stuff I've read says the blue light from MH bulbs will be helpful even in flowering.

So this time around, my 8X8 grow room has (left to right) a 1000 watt HPS, a 400 MH, and a 400 HPS. I put the MH in the middle so its blue light can get to all the plants at least somewhat.

Has anyone ever done this, and did you notice any different results compared to just using HPS alone for flowering?

So far my plants seem to be doing very well. Lights-on room temps are around 90 after the first few hours and stay there the rest of the 12 hour lights-on period, and temps fall into the upper 60s at night during lights-off time.

This is a Fox Farms soil grow, FF nutes + open sesame, molasses, clearex, liquid bat guano, and a little bit of magi-cal, no CO2.

Your lights on temp is in the 90's? And ur not running co2? Way to high. After 85 w o co2 the plant stops photosynthesizing and only perspirates in an attempt to cool off. 76 is where u wanna b with rH around 40%if your on flower

I have a 2000 Watt closet that I run for flowering. Each side of the room has (1) 1000W HPS light. I tried using those dual arc lights, 2 different brands too.

Doing a side-by-side comparison with the HPS being a 1000W sunmaster that operates at 150,000 lumes on one side of the room, and the dual spectrum at around 110,000 to 120,000 on the other. With some of the strains the sunmaster yield was noticeably larger than the dual arc. I will note that all of the strains grown in the same room tasted and looked better than with only the HPS in the room.

Sadly, the dual arc were only good for one grow cycle. After one cycle the light diminished drastically and that is too expensive. The light diminishing was not only noticeable on the light meter, but on the crop yield as well.

600W HPS and 400W MH go great together. I just don't recommend the dual arc bulbs. I am considering converting my room to run (2) 600W HPS and (2) 400W MH. That will take a lot of redesign, but I may do it.

Here is a look at my grow room which shows how it was constructed and why.
Custom Cooled 2000W Closet

I am also considering one other option. Instead of 2000W, drop down to 1800 Watts using (2) 600W HPS on each side and then have a 600W MH conversion bulb mounted vertical in the middle.

I hate to say this, but in the past I used to use 400W HPS and 400W MH seperately. The best tasting smoke I ever had always came from my 400's. It is just that they are not as efficient as the 600W or 1000W when it comes to larger grows.

Re: Running dual spectrum lights MH/HPS for flowering.

Running a MH and HPS seems to make sense. My opinion is it wouldn't hurt.

But.... What about running a dual arc bulb from one ballast? These bulbs are basically both a MH and HPS in one bulb. They're pretty expensive but if using both HPS and MH really is better during flowering then I would buy these bulbs.

I think this would also be better than running two separate ballasts with different bulbs. A single bulb would more effectively blend the spectrum's then 2 light sources.

I have been thinking that very same thing for so long, i have been saving to set up my 4th room and on this one i figured i'd do what no one has done (to my knowledge) weekly harvest rotations. Being the cost of the dual arc bulbs (1000w) i was planning on using that for the flowering only, and vegging under a 1000w MH.

Back
Top Bottom