Science Experiment Of Cannabis Seed Production Theory!

CADBOY

What are we doing?

Looking to find out, Is it possible for a single female cannabis plant to produce more then one round of viable seeds from a single pollination?

How are we doing it?

Through manipulating Veg and Flower cycles.

What is the point?

Can we produce multiple rounds of seed production from the same plant with only being pollinated once?

------
We will have some research here to discover if we can pollinate, re-veg and then re-flower the same plant into producing more then one round of seed production on a continuous cycle.

Here is a small cutting I took from a full grow mid flowering female.

20191009_055006.jpg

20191009_054945.jpg

This cutting was pollinated during mid flower while still attached to the mother, I waited 1 week after pollinating before it was cut off and placed into a cup of water untill she grew roots. I used a sandwich bag with a hole in it to help prop up the cutting during its re-root stage.

As you can see she only has maybe 2-3 seeds being produced right now.

Later today shes going into a party cup of PROMIX HP and hopefully has continuous root growth while producing its first round of seeds.

Looking to find out, Is it possible for a single female cannabis plant to produce more then one round of viable seeds from a single pollination

Err... What? Each grain of pollen is a "one use" object. Cannabis isn't like a cockroach. On the other hand, if you cover the plant with pollen, (a) how are you going to keep it viable in the grow room environment for an extended period of time and (b) how are you going to induce the plant to somehow move the pollen onto its fresh flower pistils?

I am following with interest to see where this goes. I may join in once I understand the experiment properly and how to test the hypothesis.

So my interest is mainly if the seeds will continue to mature after reverting back to veg. Or if the plant will forget the half mature seed completely.
doubt it would go a second round unless there was additional pollen involved as said above pollen is a once off.

Err... What? Each grain of pollen is a "one use" object. Cannabis isn't like a cockroach. On the other hand, if you cover the plant with pollen, (a) how are you going to keep it viable in the grow room environment for an extended period of time and (b) how are you going to induce the plant to somehow move the pollen onto its fresh flower pistils?

I know exactly what your saying and understanding it completely, no worries.

Its a simple experiment, Im sure I know what the end result will be. But its all for the sake of why not. Lets see anyways.

Not introducing new pollen, just allowing it to re-veg after current seeds fall off and then reflower and wait for results.

So my interest is mainly if the seeds will continue to mature after reverting back to veg. Or if the plant will forget the half mature seed completely.
doubt it would go a second round unless there was additional pollen involved as said above pollen is a once off.

Ohh I see what your what your saying. I will put the current seeds back into veg today then since the seeds are about or close to half way done.

I know exactly what your saying and understanding it completely, no worries.

Its a simple experiment, Im sure I know what the end result will be. But its all for the sake of why not. Lets see anyways.

Not introducing new pollen, just allowing it to re-veg after current seeds fall off and then reflower and wait for results.
I am sort of in the same place with Mama TK but with some differences. Firstly, she is the mother plant which spontaneously revegged due to light and temperature outdoor, whilst pregnant. So the first differences are that my plant is an original plant. The second is she is outdoors and intact. The third is she spontaneously revegged. The fourth is she is a pure sativa. I am going to ask @Lerugged if he has time, to come by and inspect. It might be worth re-pollinating her with the new pistils to check for a result. I think it would be easy enough to document with photos and then make some conclusions. I have cuts from her too, so there is scope for further experiment.

Bro i revegged a seed mother by mistake once. I moved it to the veg tent and haven’t realized there were seeds on it for a couple of months. When i moved it out of the flower tent it was only the 2nd week after pollination. So after a couple of months i realized the swollen calyxes on it. And well what do you know? Fully mature seeds. Some were not viable but one of those seeds is flowering in my tent now. I’m guessing maybe if you don’t wait for months to harvest the seeds, you can get higher viability ratios. For me it was about 25% with fresh seeds. I haven’t tried it again after drying but the ones that haven’t popped, i cracked them to see what’s in them and it was all shriveled and black. Well anyway i hope this info helps someone in their experiment.

Yeah probably something I'd never do purposefully but it's interesting to see how the plant would adapt and if it will finish reproducing or cut its losses and reveg. A lot of hormones at play I guess.

I personally think it will be fine and continue to ripen regardless only because either in veg or flower the pistols receive energy anyways. But to continually make seeds cycle after cycle is no, unless new pollen is present OR its self pollinating to live. So pollen.

Bro i revegged a seed mother by mistake once. I moved it to the veg tent and haven’t realized there were seeds on it for a couple of months. When i moved it out of the flower tent it was only the 2nd week after pollination. So after a couple of months i realized the swollen calyxes on it. And well what do you know? Fully mature seeds. Some were not viable but one of those seeds is flowering in my tent now. I’m guessing maybe if you don’t wait for months to harvest the seeds, you can get higher viability ratios. For me it was about 25% with fresh seeds. I haven’t tried it again after drying but the ones that haven’t popped, i cracked them to see what’s in them and it was all shriveled and black. Well anyway i hope this info helps someone in their experiment.
Hi there. I purposely pollinated my plant about two weeks ago. She has beautifully formed seeds, lots of fresh white pistils and signs of bolting and vegging in her growth. I am not sure I understand your advice on harvesting seed. Can you tell me when it is best to do that please? The plant is growing outside and it is early spring here. I started her early in winter, as an experiment. Thanks CrimsonEcho

I am not sure I am seeing the need to do this, but I don't see why it isn't possible. When I pollinate a plant I typically will touch 3 branches with pollen and by harvest time I will end up with around 200 seeds, which seems to be quite enough.
Hi Emilya, is ok to leave the seed on the plant until the flowers are ready to harvest? I am trying to grow viable seeds on my one plant atm. She spontaneously revegged.

Hi Emilya, is ok to leave the seed on the plant until the flowers are ready to harvest? I am trying to grow viable seeds on my one plant atm. She spontaneously revegged.
Yes, and I think it takes a little longer for the seeds to get done than the buds actually when you consider drying time being necessary to harden up the seeds and let them finish naturally. I try to get my seeds going as soon as possible in bloom so that they have the entire 8 or 9 weeks to develop. My seeds on my current run are only 4 days younger than the start of bloom.

Hi there. I purposely pollinated my plant about two weeks ago. She has beautifully formed seeds, lots of fresh white pistils and signs of bolting and vegging in her growth. I am not sure I understand your advice on harvesting seed. Can you tell me when it is best to do that please? The plant is growing outside and it is early spring here. I started her early in winter, as an experiment. Thanks CrimsonEcho

This is not an advice about harvesting seeds. I pollinated my Purple Afghan Kush with some Blueberry pollen but the pistils seemed unaffected. So i just moved it to the veg tent thinking “oh well, the pollen didn’t take”. Later i noticed the seeds.

If you want advice on when to harvest seeds, you can open a couple of calyxes and see if the seeds are mature. Usually takes 6 weeks but it’s strain dependant. With same Dinachem pollen, Blueberry haven’t matured most of it seeds in 6 weeks but Blue Kush had nothing but tiger stripes after just 3. You will most likely see the white cracks -which runs through the middle of the seeded calyxes- turning brown/black as the seeds mature.

Thanks @Emilya and @CrimsonEcho ! Some of the smaller side branches that I cut to try clones have already produced seed. The pollination was precisely one month ago. The seeds actually look good. I am testing one now to see if it will sprout. Mama TK is budding up on side branches. I am not sure what is going on with the bolty bits. Her cuts also look good. Wow @Lerugged! Thank you for the gift of Studley pollen. You have no idea how wonderful this is for me. I am eternally grateful :)

Not a experiment i think i would try out myself but im strangly interested in the outcomes of this :cheesygrinsmiley:. Going to hang about to gain a bit of info if thats cool?
Whats peoples thoughts on the stability of these seeds? Not sure if its chance or not but ive personally found the healthier and less stressed the host plant the better the resulting seeds.

Back
Top Bottom