Seeds dried out while germinating!

WarBux79

I went to bed last night while I was germinating a few seeds. When I checked on them this morning the paper towels had dried out. I wetted them again but I am concerned that I may have ruined them. Has anyone ever accidentally dried out their seeds while germinating, and if so did they still survive?

Nope there DEAD. I did somhing like this myself. Put them on top of cable box and it dried them up. I still put them in the rockwool, the top part grew a little, just opened the first 2 leaves. but since the tap root was dried out, it basicly just crumbled off after a few days.

After they opened. If they didnt crack open you may still have a chance. But if the seed absorbed water then it ran out it would ony be a matter of time until inside the seed dried out.

If the seed never activated you should be good, but there's no better way to tell than to just wait.

Stranhunter is right...I quit doing that method for the very same reason.....I started dropping them in a small bowl of water. When I see them split I plant them.....Works every time.....There is nothing worse than finding the paper towels have dried out and you just lost 50 to a 100 bucks investment.....:nicethread:

Thanks Strain, I had always used the organic plugs but I think the Root Riot cubes are basically the same thing. I have never used them to germinate. If I were going to do it that way should I just put them right in my drip system?

You can do m8 but ya gota only turn the pump on for 1 or 2 min daily as the riot cubes hold the moistre well, hand watering untill roots show is prob your best bet then sitck them in your system, is your drip system home made?

You can do m8 but ya gota only turn the pump on for 1 or 2 min daily as the riot cubes hold the moistre well, hand watering untill roots show is prob your best bet then sitck them in your system, is your drip system home made?

Yes it just uses screw down drip heads. I think the seeds are okay. They both split open today and I planted them. Next time I will use your guys method

I hope someone on here is still an active member... I have 10 CKS Dark Angel seeds that have been on moist paper towel for 48 hours. Soaked for 18hr in distilled water before transferring to paper towel. Seeds started to open and were showing taproot. Re-wet paper towel before bed last night but my wife had the fan on(stayed wet enough through the first night but no fan). Woke up and paper towel was curling up and completely dry on top. Bottom of towel had moisture under but not a lot. Seeds look like they started to close back up. 3 of em still have white taproot showing (no brown) but they're not swollen and healthy looking like they were before bed. I re-wet the towel and ziplocked before placing back in my cooler w/hydrofarm heat mat to keep me warm. Can they survive this or is it a lost cause? Has anyone ever had the towel dry up and seen the seeds come back from that? I need to re-order ASAP if not. Thanks. Oh ya, this is grow #3 for me. Never ran into this. Normally have 100% germ w this method. Just got my second 600w HID and upgraded to a 4x8x8. Really was looking forward to going big w 10 monsters...

I think youll be fine. Once a see a tap root it takes about 2.5 to 3 days to get them about 1/4 inch long. Im not sure about zip locking them up, they need oxygen, moisture and warmth to continue growing. You'll know in 2 more days which ones are viable or not. Id plant them all anyway..you never know.

I like the paper towel method and usually allow 3-4 days to have a nice tap root... I than use a Rapid Rooter plug with distilled water and place in a plastic cup with soil and perlite mix...This allows your Seedling to grow nice and strong.. I than replant within 30 days into a 3-5 gallon pot, with a 80/20 soil and perlite mix, add clay pebbles or small river rocks on the bottom of the planter... Works wonders for your babies..:)

Back
Top Bottom