SeymoreNugget's DIY talk - Building lights - Sharing ideas

You want a picture of how I'm short one heatsink? Lol.

a191256e3774c5ba966c267d9375d671.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Where's good to order heatsinks, COB's, etc. from in Canada?

Digikey for COBs. Get the D series Vero 29's

Mouser for the drivers. Try the HLG 2100mA ones.

Northern Grow lights for the heatsinks. Use the 136mm fin pin heatsinks.

Yeah, I agree. I'm looking and calculating as we speak. There are many chips that are close the the CXB at low drive levels (where we run them) and some that are far more efficient at higher drives (where we don't run them). As I'm sure you know we don't build these things to run each chip at 200 watts. That would be silly and kind of defeating the whole purpose of making these awesome lights. Not you but it's funny how some guys I have seen find a chip that can run at 400W and think that makes the light the most powerful and best light for growing.
For those who may be confused about how COBS work let's explain it this way. It's not everything but it makes it simple.

First let's look at Ohms law. ___P___
...................................................I * E

In that graph P=power or watts which is the total power something is using,
I equals Intensity or amps which is how fast the power is flowing
E= Electromotive force or voltage! Voltage is what pushes current (amperage).

So to figure out what the wattage (total power) something is using or will use you look at the chart I made above and if P (wattage) is unknown just cover the P and look at what's left. its I times E so Amps times volts equals the missing P or total wattage.

If you need to know the Voltage then the math chart Icon I made above dont look like a multiplication chart anymore but division now. It would be P divided by I= voltage. You can figure anything out with ohms law. If you need to know the amperage then cover the I and its P divided by E equals the amperage.

So when it comes to COB lights used for growing the only part about Watts that matter is ow we can get the most light we can out of a chip with the least wattage. That gives us the most light for the power used.
So now we look at lumens per watt of power used. Lumens is in the par spectrum so is very important. We want the highest lumen per watt more or less.

So to think you need a 400w chip we can destroy that theory quickly like this

Let's say your 400w chip produces 100 lumens per watt at 400 watts. That's 40,000 lumens.
Now lets say our little 135W chip produces 220 lumens per watt at 40 watts. That's 8800 lumens.

Now we only used 40 watts to produce 8800 lumens but 40,000 lumens with 400w

Well we used 40 times the power to get 4 times more light? Why go with COBs then?

We could instead use 5 of our chips at only 40 watts and use 200 total watts of power and produce 44,000 lumens with half the used power as the 400w chip.

Those numbers are not exact but to give an example to those who think a 400w chip is the way to go. The chips wattage rating is the least important number.

Thank you so much for that bro. The only way I could figure to explain it to someone who doesn't understand physics is this....
999ffce220a72661117c19a2b18d85e6.jpg

That is an awesome picture!!!
That's not the PIE chart though but instead the EIR chart. Same as the PIE chart I made but Volts, Amps and resistance in yours. Another very useful part of ohms law!!

Plus way cheaper for the 1750's. Easier to find too.

Not sure where you plant to run them but you probably should be glad to get the 1750's then you can run the drivers a bit harder. The lighter you push the drivers the least efficient they get. @90% they run about 94-95% efficient

Digikey for COBs. Get the D series Vero 29's

Mouser for the drivers. Try the HLG 2100mA ones.

Northern Grow lights for the heatsinks. Use the 136mm fin pin heatsinks.

There is 3 listed for HLG 2100ma sp which model?

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

Hech yeah, I have 4 or 5 of the 320-2100's on my array downstairs. Them things are not cheap.

No sir. That's why I use the 240's

Been looking for a Meanwell alternative to running 3 Vero 29's on the 240 but Mouser's techs are...shall we say, aloof in their helpfulness. I thought about the ELG but they're always listed as a "non stock" item.

No sir. That's why I use the 240's

Been looking for a Meanwell alternative to running 3 Vero 29's on the 240 but Mouser's techs are...shall we say, aloof in their helpfulness. I thought about the ELG but they're always listed as a "non stock" item.

Why? You gonna run 3 at 80w each?? You should be able to use the 185's for 3 chips but I havent looked. Unless you need 80w each.

Plus way cheaper for the 1750's. Easier to find too.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Why? You gonna run 3 at 80w each?? You should be able to use the 185's for 3 chips but I havent looked. Unless you need 80w each.

Look at the 185's for me please and tell me what you think. It's to run my older
L-23 series in the 4000k
I wanted a driver that would run the older chips as well as my D-23 chips and possibly 4 chips on one driver.
But ya. I was running them hot. I'm putting an order in with Mouser in the morning. I wish their in store tech was more helpful but every time I've talked to him in the last year you can tell he just wants to drink his coffee and not answer driver questions. Lol.

Jimmy why are you into pushin cobs hot and overdriving?

Fanleaf, glad to have you here on my thread, too. Your mission about testing chips for us is noble. You have ordered 1212s too right? Which models? I am happy that this chip is in this charts... Kind of backs me up on my decision. I like them tight packed. :)

420-magazine-mobile1740479361.jpg

I am using 224W at this distance. We will see how that goes out. They are still in shock from transplanting and the new soil i guess.

My very first DIY COB fixture

Whats the f/v on those chips Jimmy? 36?

Ya. 36.8@2.1
Its the BXRC-40E10K0-L-23

Was top of the line when I bought it. Got knocked out of top place when the D series CXB killers came out.

Back
Top Bottom