Shipping container as a drying room

Hey BobOJ,
Not too many commercial growers on here. One would have to have quite a grow operation to need a shipping container to dry their bud in.
I have seen some videos on youtube with large outdoor grow businesses using them though. You might want to check that out.
I take it you must be in the commercial side of things?

There are also a ton of commercial growers using these as their grow spaces as well so I can't see how one wouldn't make a great drying room.
Now I wish I had room for a sea can myself for a grow space. LOL.

I can't offer advice on how well they are at becoming a drying room but I can talk from experience from having repurposed Sea Cans. They are so versatile! We have used saws to cut regular door opening in the sides of these for more regular access rather than having to lift and pull on those big levers they use to shut them with. Also the doors are so big that opening them causes you to loose your climate and it would take a little while to bring it back once you shut it again.
We have wired them, installed roll up garage doors in them, insulated and paneled the interiors, lots of stuff. They are great. and only a few hindered to buy. You sure can't build anything of an equal size for anywhere near that price.
Also they can easily be moved. For better temp management you can paint them white to reflect the sun's heat if need be. Or black to help absorb it.
If I owned more property and could hide such an eyesore from my yard I would love to gear one up as a grow room.

I can't offer advice on how well they are at becoming a drying room but I can talk from experience from having repurposed Sea Cans. They are so versatile! We have used saws to cut regular door opening in the sides of these for more regular access rather than having to lift and pull on those big levers they use to shut them with. Also the doors are so big that opening them causes you to loose your climate and it would take a little while to bring it back once you shut it again.
We have wired them, installed roll up garage doors in them, insulated and paneled the interiors, lots of stuff. They are great. and only a few hindered to buy. You sure can't build anything of an equal size for anywhere near that price.
Also they can easily be moved. For better temp management you can paint them white to reflect the sun's heat if need be. Or black to help absorb it.
If I owned more property and could hide such an eyesore from my yard I would love to gear one up as a grow room.
Are they vermin proof--mice and insects?

Are they vermin proof--mice and insects?

Yes. Absolutely.
Unless of course your's is damaged or badly rusted in places... When purchasing used Sea Cans you need to carefully inspect them first.
These are designed to ship anything including food so if they were not vermin proof they would not be worth a damn.

My friend with the commercial grow uses one room for drying, with fans and humidity control. He harvests his, cuts the buds off, puts them through a commercial trimmer, and then dries the trimmed buds in multi-layered net bags. It's ready to sell once dried in the controlled drying room.

Yea there are very few people on here with commercial grows. This place is more geared towards getting people growing their own so they don't have to pay dispensary prices.

As mentioned a seacan can be turned into anything you want. One thing to be very very wary of if your going to store any product in them is that the floors are very heavily treated with insecticides and other nasty chemicals. When used for human occupation the floors need to be removed.

Good Lord I couldn't imagine cutting through that shit with a saw. :eek: We used a plasma cutter on the one we turned into a walk in cooler.I wish we could get them for a few hundred dollars, it's a couple grand to get a small one here.

Yea there are very few people on here with commercial grows. This place is more geared towards getting people growing their own so they don't have to pay dispensary prices.

As mentioned a seacan can be turned into anything you want. One thing to be very very wary of if your going to store any product in them is that the floors are very heavily treated with insecticides and other nasty chemicals. When used for human occupation the floors need to be removed.

Good Lord I couldn't imagine cutting through that shit with a saw. :eek: We used a plasma cutter on the one we turned into a walk in cooler.I wish we could get them for a few hundred dollars, it's a couple grand to get a small one here.

When I say "saw" I'm referring to a gas powered saw capable of accommodating a metal cutting blade or a concrete cutting blade. You probably have seen them cutting expansion joints in concrete with lots of dust flying at some point.
We live close to a main shipping port so maybe that's why I can get them cheaper? I'm speaking of used ones of course. Around $500 but delivery is another $100 or so. I can get new 20' ones for $4,000 or close to it.
Good point you made regarding the wooden floor being treated for insects. I would just seal it in with a good shellac based primer like Kilz. There should be enough airflow if setup properly that any buildup of pesticides would be exhausted and the fresh air turnover would keep it safe. At least that's my thought on it.

No my first thought was a reciprocating saw and I couldn't imagine how you actually got through it haha. But yes that makes much more sense.

I would assume the distance to Port is indeed the driving factor behind price differences.

There is a local guy that hauls them up and resells for storage units etc. Adds roll up doors whatever. It was his advice that if your going to spend extended periods of time in it, the floor needs to come out. The boards from ours were fully soaked with whatever it was.

If it's a drying room I would be very skeptical of the floor, anything in there will be exposed to it for atleast a week in what should be a sealed and controlled environment. From there it's destined to be inhaled by people and I wouldn't want it contaminated, not to mention if it's going out for testing it may fail the tests and then you have useless product.

No my first thought was a reciprocating saw and I couldn't imagine how you actually got through it haha. But yes that makes much more sense.

I would assume the distance to Port is indeed the driving factor behind price differences.

There is a local guy that hauls them up and resells for storage units etc. Adds roll up doors whatever. It was his advice that if your going to spend extended periods of time in it, the floor needs to come out. The boards from ours were fully soaked with whatever it was.

If it's a drying room I would be very skeptical of the floor, anything in there will be exposed to it for atleast a week in what should be a sealed and controlled environment. From there it's destined to be inhaled by people and I wouldn't want it contaminated, not to mention if it's going out for testing it may fail the tests and then you have useless product.

I suppose there are many different applications for these containers when used for shipping. Some countries shipping wood materials and not food grade would no doubt have some harsh substances sprayed to kill any little critter that might climb out of the wood and start to reek havoc on another country's ecosystem. I personally haven't run into what you are referring to but I have no doubt there are some with floors that would have to be removed due to what you are describing.
Makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom