Should I put these girls into flower?

Koutz

420 Member
So I’m into week 4 of my cabinet grow and just wondering whether I should flip these girls. As of right now....

the larger plant stands 20” from top of its 5 gal pot. It’s Gorilla Glue and is growing extremely well.

The other is about 14” from top of the 5gal pot. It’s been a slower growth for sure. It’s AK47

I’ve been doing LST with these ones and I’m going to build a Scrog net this weekend from some pvc.

any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• F42F815C-7BFF-40E7-9B8A-1A8D2B40EB9B.jpeg
    F42F815C-7BFF-40E7-9B8A-1A8D2B40EB9B.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 130
  • F45A7831-AE57-4042-9999-5413E976D12F.jpeg
    F45A7831-AE57-4042-9999-5413E976D12F.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 133
  • AF492AD8-50A9-4BD3-A7E1-1053F3F91401.jpeg
    AF492AD8-50A9-4BD3-A7E1-1053F3F91401.jpeg
    617.9 KB · Views: 140
  • DD3B2E03-91D2-4172-A830-4E244079A482.jpeg
    DD3B2E03-91D2-4172-A830-4E244079A482.jpeg
    628.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 8A0865AC-CB91-4209-BD47-C346936ACAFF.jpeg
    8A0865AC-CB91-4209-BD47-C346936ACAFF.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 7E3F25ED-2D55-4365-ACAA-B5D8879C9AD5.jpeg
    7E3F25ED-2D55-4365-ACAA-B5D8879C9AD5.jpeg
    554.9 KB · Views: 129
I won’t be the one to answer this for you but maybe the questions I have for you will help you make a decision for yourself or at the very least give this a bump and lure someone else along to help out.

You said your grow is a cabinet grow, is this where you intend to flower as well? If so, how big is your cabinet? Look into your strains and see if you can find any information on similar grows and how much stretch to expect when you flip them.

You may find you have already put grown your cabinet. In which case you can look into flowering one plant in the cabinet while letting the other slowly veg out under a cfl and collect clones from, if you intend to grow more. Then you could flower out the second plant after taking clones and the first plant has been harvested. You may find out there’s a plethora of options if being able to flower both at once won’t work.

In any regards it looks like you have grown two might fine specimens and congratulations are in order.:thumb:

Hey thanks for the reply.

It is where I plan to flower. The cabinet is 84” H, 29” W, and 20” D. I will as I said be doing a Scrog net, but will actually be doing 2. One for the lower section to help push the large fans down and one higher up that will be suspended for the ability to move up when I flip.

I was thinking of removing the smaller one (ak47) but would prefer to just flower them both in there if possible.

and thank you. They have been well looked after since day one. I hope they both will provide a great yield.

You really have me scratching my head thinking what I would do in your situation. I’m going to make the following assumptions and correct me if any are wrong, you’re limited on space and lighting? Me personally, if I could find a spot for the AK47 keep vegging out for a while under a cfl or something else lower wattage to slow it’s growth down even more, I would do it and start flowering the GG now (or trim back a bit, veg a week longer then flip) using LST and the netting like you planned, no need to deviate from that plan. While flowering the GG you could mess around with trying to clone the AK47’s top, my apologies if you already know how to clone, to slow her growth down even more and to allow more time for the GG to finish flowering. Once the GG is done let the AK47 have it in the flowering cabinet. Heck, you get some clones going, have them veg out and train them slow enough you could go perpetual with your little cabinet and a little 1’x1’ area with a cfl for vegging and cloning.

When I used to grow growing up outdoors on my family farm in the upper Midwest/lower Canada :rofl: , I would start my plants indoors around the beginning of March in order to transplant around Memorial Day weekend on the state forestry lands. One year I was growing them in my parent’s downstairs den inside one of those large Rubbermaid containers with a strip led inside with a pile of blankets on it. It sat in the corner of the room and nobody touched it. God was I an idiot/ballsy teenager. Another year it was in he closet underneath the stairs. Finally the year my dad caught me, I just had moved them out of the house after nearly getting found out only for it to be too cold so I moved them into what I thought was our abandoned camper (think 80’s 40’ long 5th wheel camper parked underneath a grove of trees for 8 years) only for my dad to find them that very afternoon because he just so happened to be sell the camper that day. Oddly enough instead of beating my ass in the middle of the farm, he told me to get them the hell out of there. Somehow I managed to grab a dozen variously sized used plastic containers in my two arms and beat ass to our atv. I spent the rest of the afternoon on a drive down the country roads finding places to plant the ladies. Dad has never said a word about it either, ever. The point of that story was to tell you that you don’t need much to keep a plant growing at the bare minimum, you can slow the growth down on that AK47 in a small space while you flower out the GG.

On a separate note, what do you have for ventilation on you cabinet? If you fill it out with your netting you’ll need a nice breeze in there to keep humidity low otherwise you’ll get bud rot.

If you look at my sig in my Cherry Cookies journal you’ll see the mother plant I’m flowering right now. I kept her in a 3 gallon pot under a cfl with little to no nutes, I topped her and took (4) clones from her and she was 5 months old, now that I think of it, when I flipped her and under 12” tall. That’s definitely not as extreme as you need to go on the AK47 to slow her down but proof you can veg and keep them small for just about as long as you need.

Also start a journal, there needs to be more people like you with cabinet grows!

You really have me scratching my head thinking what I would do in your situation. I’m going to make the following assumptions and correct me if any are wrong, you’re limited on space and lighting? Me personally, if I could find a spot for the AK47 keep vegging out for a while under a cfl or something else lower wattage to slow it’s growth down even more, I would do it and start flowering the GG now (or trim back a bit, veg a week longer then flip) using LST and the netting like you planned, no need to deviate from that plan. While flowering the GG you could mess around with trying to clone the AK47’s top, my apologies if you already know how to clone, to slow her growth down even more and to allow more time for the GG to finish flowering. Once the GG is done let the AK47 have it in the flowering cabinet. Heck, you get some clones going, have them veg out and train them slow enough you could go perpetual with your little cabinet and a little 1’x1’ area with a cfl for vegging and cloning.

When I used to grow growing up outdoors on my family farm in the upper Midwest/lower Canada :rofl: , I would start my plants indoors around the beginning of March in order to transplant around Memorial Day weekend on the state forestry lands. One year I was growing them in my parent’s downstairs den inside one of those large Rubbermaid containers with a strip led inside with a pile of blankets on it. It sat in the corner of the room and nobody touched it. God was I an idiot/ballsy teenager. Another year it was in he closet underneath the stairs. Finally the year my dad caught me, I just had moved them out of the house after nearly getting found out only for it to be too cold so I moved them into what I thought was our abandoned camper (think 80’s 40’ long 5th wheel camper parked underneath a grove of trees for 8 years) only for my dad to find them that very afternoon because he just so happened to be sell the camper that day. Oddly enough instead of beating my ass in the middle of the farm, he told me to get them the hell out of there. Somehow I managed to grab a dozen variously sized used plastic containers in my two arms and beat ass to our atv. I spent the rest of the afternoon on a drive down the country roads finding places to plant the ladies. Dad has never said a word about it either, ever. The point of that story was to tell you that you don’t need much to keep a plant growing at the bare minimum, you can slow the growth down on that AK47 in a small space while you flower out the GG.

On a separate note, what do you have for ventilation on you cabinet? If you fill it out with your netting you’ll need a nice breeze in there to keep humidity low otherwise you’ll get bud rot.

Sounds like fun summers here in Canada. I had some buddies who grew up on farms and would always find places to grow our stuff on each ones family property. We’re some fun time’s haha.

I have been thinking of cloning the AK but figured since I have 10 other seeds of the same strain I would just leave her alone. I’d really like to put her into flower.

I guess my overall predicament is will it be a shit show in by cabinet if I put both into flower and will one being shorter than the other cause any issues.

So it terms of lighting I’m running 2 Mars Eco49 300w LEDs that pull 116w from the wall. So in terms of lighting I’m definitely covered for my space.

As for height I have 36” remaining in height which would put me 12” below my lights.

lastly for ventilation I’m running two ac infinity fans for intake which provide 130 cfm total.

For extraction I’m running 4” inline fam rated at 190cfm with a charcoal filter.

Hey dude, this is fascinating. I also have a closet setup along with a tent. I often grow lettuce and onions and other foods in my closet but was thinking of stopping and vegging in the closet and flowering in my tent. So this is a fascinating grow for me to watch. If you do decide to start an actual journal please alert me. I'd love to tag along for the ride!

All my best,
~Magnus

I think you have enough height but not enough width and depth in your area for both plants flowering. I agree with Phantom, if possible I would flower the larger plant immediately, it will bush out and fill out that whole area during flower. Find a new location for the AK, new tent/cabinet if necessary, and continue to veg it out. You'll be able to really focus on LST and developing a nice solid root ball for it while the other plant flowers.

If you have both in there flowering at once they'll be fighting each other for space and for the light. If you had quadlined them and only had a few main colas going it may be doable but I don't see it being beneficial the way the plants are now. They'll grow ok but not great, I bet you'll end up with a few decent colas and a ton of small popcorn buds that couldn't get enough light. Both plants look very good, nice and healthy... I'd want to take advantage of the work you've put in up to this point and maximize your efforts by giving them enough room to flower.

Basically, you'll probably get the same amount of bud from one plant in that space as you will with two crowded plants. The benefit of doing one at a time is that once it's done, the next one is ready to flip to flower right away, you don't have to wait another 1-2 months to veg. While that one flowers, you can veg another, creates a continuous harvest cycle.

So I added the scrog net today to the lower section of the plants. I also moved the filter up so I could get a bit more height. heres some most recent pictures of the setup. I’m trying to find a cabinet to hold the ak47 for veg. But if I can’t I’m just going to flower both in the same cabinet and get what I can get.

Also if I wanted to F.I.M the plant pictured where exactly do I do it??? Is it the very top section and about half of it?

any opinions on both are greatly appreciated

Attachments

• A1A8BF7E-BF2C-4143-B813-AB075218A5D1.jpeg
    A1A8BF7E-BF2C-4143-B813-AB075218A5D1.jpeg
    444.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 157EF586-63CF-424E-B507-2D16859A18A5.jpeg
    157EF586-63CF-424E-B507-2D16859A18A5.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 110
  • EA2DD25E-77A1-4372-8B13-A782F20344BC.jpeg
    EA2DD25E-77A1-4372-8B13-A782F20344BC.jpeg
    513 KB · Views: 102
  • 30B72ECE-E2C8-4EF2-99C7-83385859C715.jpeg
    30B72ECE-E2C8-4EF2-99C7-83385859C715.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 102
So instead of starting a new thread I’ll just add to this one. I ended up building up another cabinet in the shop. Fitted a door from a gun cabinet I had and so I now have a 24x24x60” cabinet to move the AK47 too.

I’m thinking of buying a Mars Hydro Ts600 which is less “burple” and removing one of the eco49 300watts that are in the current cabinet. I’ll run the ts600 and the one 300w for the burple effect to flower the gorilla glue and use the other 300w in the new cabinet to veg the Ak47 for longer.

the other option is to get a viparspectra 450w that a friend doesn’t need anymore and keep the current setup as is with the two 300w eco’s and run the 450 in the new cabinet with the ak47.

whats your guys opinions

Attachments

• 480EDE2A-75A5-4ED2-8B4F-9885B39E7D07.jpeg
    480EDE2A-75A5-4ED2-8B4F-9885B39E7D07.jpeg
    684.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 94C2231F-5055-42B9-8929-533C22BF92E3.jpeg
    94C2231F-5055-42B9-8929-533C22BF92E3.jpeg
    692.7 KB · Views: 94
So instead of starting a new thread I’ll just add to this one. I ended up building up another cabinet in the shop. Fitted a door from a gun cabinet I had and so I now have a 24x24x60” cabinet to move the AK47 too.

I’m thinking of buying a Mars Hydro Ts600 which is less “burple” and removing one of the eco49 300watts that are in the current cabinet. I’ll run the ts600 and the one 300w for the burple effect to flower the gorilla glue and use the other 300w in the new cabinet to veg the Ak47 for longer.

the other option is to get a viparspectra 450w that a friend doesn’t need anymore and keep the current setup as is with the two 300w eco’s and run the 450 in the new cabinet with the ak47.

whats your guys opinions

Very fitting to grow AK47 in there, I like it. I feel that the grow is destined for greatness.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to giving the girls their own space. What do you think about the lighting situation I spoke of

I think you have a good plan, I personally haven't used them but would suggest the Mars lights over the ViparSpectra, seems to be less wasted energy with no fans and they are an active sponsor here and would be quick to help you out. Personally I went the AliBaba route and am very pleased, the options that you listed will be good for that space and give you a little more room to let them reach full potential. I wish I had a gun safe laying around! :p

I'd agree with Phantom. Go for broke and begging a veg/flower cycle that allows you to grow perpetually. It's worth it. A constant supply of new weed. That beautiful aroma of an mj plant in flower all year round and all the other perks that go along with a perpetual grow. Sweet. You are lucky you have the two spaces. Go for broke with it!

Nice lookin' plants you got there, sir. Keep it up.

All my best,
~Magnus

Like Ben Stiller in Starsky & Hutch, “Do it!” Haha

In all seriousness, from my perspective, you already have the hard and most expensive parts done. You’ve secured two spaces to grow in, you have your lighting figured out for the flowering space, and you have plants growing. You’re already there minus the veg light, a few clones, and a third space to store all the buds!

You bugging me? Ha I feel like I’m the one bugging you!

Im honestly no expert when it comes to lighting but I’d say if you’re happy with the results of the two ecos, leave them in the flowering cabinet and check out BudgetLEDs Series 2+ 65w they have on sale for $89 right now. I think that would suit your veg space perfectly. They are also a sponsor like Mars Hydro is. After a few years when the ecos aren’t cutting it anymore, look into whats new for Mars and Budget in regards to flowering lights at that time and upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom