Skylining: My Guide To Cannabis Training Featuring Blue Gelato 41 & Pink Kush

Has that light a veg/bloom switch, is that why everything is blue?

And if so, does your bloom side have 660nm red in it?

I made this LED module like 6-7 years ago. It has Cree COB's with two royal blue and two yellow, 50W each. I am driving these LED's with 90W from the wall. This is my startup light for years. I will use quantum boards and Viparspectra R300's for bloom, which has both 630,660 and 730nm ready. I will use 220W of quantum boards boosted with a R300 for each 3"x3" tent. Total draw would be around 600-650W excluding the startup board.

Ah OK, I have a few DIY COB LEDs as well.

The reason I asked though is because you mentioned wanting stretch vertically and 660nm red actually promotes longer internode length whereas Blue promotes tighter nodes.

Thank you for reminding that. These are stacking nodes very tight like you said. I am aware of that fact but since I don't have any other modules to use for them, I can only go with this one until harvesting my flowering plants. I hope I can build some red spec qb's soon and use one of the Vipar's for early veg.

I have been waiting for some 3030 chips and they are finally here. I might start my own local LED business soon. I live in a big city and know lots of bigass growers here. If I can start production soon, I'll probably earn enough capital to go global in late 2020. I am willing to be a sponsor of 420Magazine myself :blunt:

It's been a while guys. I am very busy with my big plants and lots of other stuff these days so Skylining is going slow for now :laughtwo: I am not feeding them much because the humidity is too high and I am fighting with some mold on the perlite layer.

I want to share their current state and talk about some other stuff as well. This blue LED's are not helping with the stretch as we discussed earlier. Other plants have at least ten more days to live. I think these plants will reach 30cm of height easily before moving to big tents. After that I won't struggle overcoming any mold issues. I am planning to run them in a single tent to save some power. I will split them into two tents after significant post-topping growth. I am planning to run these plants under 240W of quantum boards and 1 Viparspectra R300 and in 10gal. coco pots per plant. That will make 360W of total power. I will try to come close to one gram per Watt at the end of this journal. Expectations are high.

There is some good news. My stash was empty and I was complaining about the price and quality of the nugs available for the last couple of weeks. My guy visited me last night and now I have a small stash of good nugs. This was what I was waiting for :lot-o-toke:

He also got me a special gift, which is a fine pressed hashish. Looks like this;

That's middle east style guys. You can find stuff like these in Afgh. and Moroc. Amazing Bubble Gum taste and definately recommended. I can share the prep. method here if you guys want to give it a try :passitleft:

Here is how plants look. Happy growing folks :roorrip:

Pink Kush

Blue Gelato 41

Greetings :passitleft:

I am still waiting for my big tent harvest to move these babies. They are still in vertical growing phase and as we discussed earlier, this process happens very fast under red lights. I only had these royal blue leds and they are not helping with the stretch at all :laugh:

I am removing all nodes and leaving the fan leaves. I am not feeding them regularly because of the high RH and some mold on the perlite layer. Mold stuff is under control now and this normally wouldn't happened with a proper ventilation. Roots are seeking for water like crazy. Blue Gelato has its roots penetrating all through the fabric pot. Pink Kush is covered the small pot with its roots and ready for the transplant. They both need to wait for transplanting until I move them into the big tents.

We are going slow but I am still waiting for the trichomes on Purple Punch and Super Silver to show some amber. I won't refuse amber trichomes this time because I like the sedative and couchlocking effects of marijuana. Wait, wait, wait...

Here is how trichomes look on my flowering plants;

And here is how BG41 and PK are doing. Cheers :passitleft:

Gotta admit, I've never heard of the skylining before....and damn me if that isn't pretty sweet.

I'm guessing this wont be a good approach for Autos, but I'll be bookmarking this for whenever I try my hand at photos.

So hope you dont mind my tagging along!

Gotta admit, I've never heard of the skylining before....and damn me if that isn't pretty sweet.

I'm guessing this wont be a good approach for Autos, but I'll be bookmarking this for whenever I try my hand at photos.

So hope you dont mind my tagging along!

Welcome aboard Rex :passitleft:

This method can be a gamble on autos so I won't recommend doing it unless you know exactly how your strain grows. If you got a stretcher, this can help.

This method works for me the best because I have a limited grow space and need to produce big amounts. I tried growing multiple plants at a time but RH is too high here and after a point grow tent turns into a jungle. I had to throw some fine nugs because of mold in the past.

One plant per tent is my pref. and I am trying to get the best possible harvest. I used to live in a much more dry place and could fit two fat plants inside the same tent without any mold issues. Drying nugs were also easier :laugh:

Cheers :roorrip:

Welcome aboard Rex :passitleft:

This method can be a gamble on autos so I won't recommend doing it unless you know exactly how your strain grows. If you got a stretcher, this can help.

This method works for me the best because I have a limited grow space and need to produce big amounts. I tried growing multiple plants at a time but RH is too high here and after a point grow tent turns into a jungle. I had to throw some fine nugs because of mold in the past.

One plant per tent is my pref. and I am trying to get the best possible harvest. I used to live in a much more dry place and could fit two fat plants inside the same tent without any mold issues. Drying nugs were also easier :laugh:

Cheers :roorrip:

Thank you, I've got a very limited space myself. And I went and made it smaller choosing an ebb and flow....I'm still questioning myself on that one lol.
I gotta do a bunch more light proofing of my cabinet before I look at photos, I needed the medication so decided to do a run of autos 1st. But when it comes time for those photos, chances are I'm gonna give skylining a try....looks like fun too!!

Thank you, I've got a very limited space myself. And I went and made it smaller choosing an ebb and flow....I'm still questioning myself on that one lol.
I gotta do a bunch more light proofing of my cabinet before I look at photos, I needed the medication so decided to do a run of autos 1st. But when it comes time for those photos, chances are I'm gonna give skylining a try....looks like fun too!!

I am sure there will be lots of information here before you start your photos. I'll harvest one of my plants in a few days and these plants will start stretching in the big tent with some red light boost. We should consider that time as the starting point of this journal.

Finally the lights on the big tent is now off and I moved a Viparspectra R300 into this veg. tent. I'll be harvesting my Super Silver this monday and Purple Punch on wednesday if you guys want to check these out as well. Plants turned out very satisfying.

Since we already have data on growing with blue dominant, lets compare these to the R300's which provide a red dominant spectrum. Node seperation is expected to widen and the vertical growth is expected to accelerate. I am planning to top them in two weeks and flip them in around 5 weeks. I will start feeding them plenty with rich solutions after moving them into the big tent.

All of the sidebranches are stripped and only the crowns are growing. Here is how they look now.

Cheers :passitleft:

I moved the plants into the big tent and some images of the new setup will be here tomorrow. I've recently harvested my plants and feeling exhausted. Below, you can see how much my Purple Punch yielded. That was a Skylined plant but as I said earlier, I couldn't properly defoliated her. Still, she offered me a lot of fine buds as well as some fine colas. We are expecting higher yields in this journal. I am still waiting for the buds to dry and when they do, I will share how much this PP yielded and how much I will try to harvest from the Pink Kush and the BG41 here. 2x that PP harvest is already a good amount but we are looking higher here am I right :blunt:

Purple Punch;

Lookin nice and frosty!!

Nice crop mate :thumb:

Thanks guys. I wish you even better harvests :passitleft:

I decided to take some clones from these plants so I will let some side branches grow at this point. This is not a part of Skylining but I am trying to be more efficient here because I am running out of seeds. I am planning to grow these two together and fill the other tent with clones and start a SOG journal if I can take that much clones. If I can't, I will simply Skyline one Pink Kush and one BG41 clone in the other tent as well.

By the time Clonex arrives I think these plants will give me some nice branches to clone and I know that getting clones from upper parts result in better yield and quality but they are a bit harder to root. We'll see how this will turn out.

I also thought of revegging that Purple Punch since its huge but I decided to go with fresh plants. I am planning to get some air pump for this grow. I always let the water sit for at least 5 days before introducing it to the medium. I will be able to pump air for at least 24h before watering soon so these fresh plants will definately have a better root system than my Purple Punch. I know that makes a great difference in DWC so why not in coco? We always like coco wet and that causes the roots to get less air.

Peace :rollit:

I am back with some recent pictures of the plants. PK is hungry and showing some deficiency. BG41 is totally happy. I think PK is suffering from the small pot so she will recover in a few days. I added Mykos to help the roots a bit with transplant. I won't be using bacteria unless I am transplanting.

I will soon add General Hydroponics Diamond Nectar to the line up. This product is revised an now being sold as TA Fulvic. General Hydroponics is changing its name in EU I guess. I will also add some silica in flowering.

Here is how they look in the big tent. They got proper ventilation now and they have the same lighting. I will install the second R300 soon.

Cheers :passitleft:

BG41;

Pink Kush;

Thank you for reminding that. These are stacking nodes very tight like you said. I am aware of that fact but since I don't have any other modules to use for them, I can only go with this one until harvesting my flowering plants. I hope I can build some red spec qb's soon and use one of the Vipar's for early veg.

I have been waiting for some 3030 chips and they are finally here. I might start my own local LED business soon. I live in a big city and know lots of bigass growers here. If I can start production soon, I'll probably earn enough capital to go global in late 2020. I am willing to be a sponsor of 420Magazine myself :blunt:

I would like to make an update for this post. I've managed to build my own LED module yesterday. The whole thing will be ready in two weeks and the hard part is done. Let me share a few details in case any of you guys are curious about it.

That is a mid power 60W LED board project. It provides full spectrum with top quality Samsung diodes and opto-electronics. This will be a modular design so there will be a few different models at different powers. This will allow the users to stack as much as they want. The smallest model will have 120W nominal power but driving two times the boards with a 240W driver provides better results so I will combine 4 of these boards for the prototype as well. I will be using the new Meanwell XLG series to drive them.

Here is a sneak peek for you guys. Cheers :passitleft:

I got some update on the plants. Unfortunately there is a plumbing problem in my house and some guys need to come over and fix that. I need to hide my plants at least for a couple of hours but that won't be hard since they are very small and stripped right now. The hard part is that my growing space is a mess and I am just trying to get everything in order here(anything related to cannabis or suspicious) and can't really pay much attention to the plants. In 4-5 days they will get more light, feeding and everything. I promise you guys, after that we will veg. on rocket fuel. For now, I am just focused on taking some healthy clones.

I removed all the fan leaves and only left 4 nodes and a crown per plant. I will take some clones from these plants because I am running out of seeds. I will Skyline these plants together in a single 3x3 tent while I will fill the other 3x3 with 8 clones and go with the ones alive. I will fast flower the second tent and that would look like a SOG/SCROG hybrid grow. Since I won't skyline the second tent, I will start another journal on the clones and demonstrate my new LED's there. I will keep the focus on skylining here. Cheers :passitleft:

Here is how plants look;

BG41;

Pink Kush;

Hi folks. I am back with some bad news but no need to freak out :passitleft:

I think I got thrips on this tent because I've spotted a few bugs on the leaves of both plants and checked some online charts to identify. I diluted milk and sprayed the whole plants. I've cut all the fan leaves again because these guys were leaving some marks on the leaves and observing only the new leaves would be clearer to see if the pest problem is going better or worse.

I will get some neem oil as the first thing tomorrow because I think using that on veg. phase will suit my program better. I sanitized the drying tent and trying to get it ready for these plants. After neem oil treatment, they will be ready to be moved into the sterile tent.

I won't stop there. I will sanitize the whole grow area for good. I will do this type of cleaning twice a year from now on. After that I will call the insect guy to fume the area and get my grow room ready for sterile tents.

I got some clear pictures of the bug and if you guys can confirm that these are not spider mites but thrips, it will be greatly appreciated.

I have never seen a mite, but looks like the same little bastards I fought in my current grow, had a bad infestation of both thrips and gnats...I went biological warfare on them lol

Hi there Celt :passitleft:

I am going to get some sticky yellow bug traps and Neem azal today. Glad to hear that you are the victorious side on that warfare :bravo: No bugs today but to be safe, I will spray my plants with plain water to get that oily residue from milk out. Tomorrow I will spray the whole plant with Neem azal and we will watch things closely for a week. I hope I can get rid of them for good.

Back
Top Bottom