small problem

moonmist3207

hello, im using a 150 watt hps, growing superlemon haze im in week 2 of 12/12. Ive got a bit of a stretching problem wondering if there is anything i can do to prevent this, or at least help a bit. thank you

It is not always lack of light, it can also be envirement problem such as "humidity" and "Heat". But if you have the light way off, this is the problem try keep em under 1 meter from plant atleast ( I keep mine at 10 - 15 inches at max, but I use air cooled lamps ).

I would also use a MH light instead of HPS until you see some buds forming and they stop growing. After this I would put in the HPS to give the extra red spectrum for budding cycle ( in other way: shift from MH to HPS 3 weeks into flowering ).

The strain can also be the problem as Haze is a stretchy plant and can easy reach 9 feet ( trust me I have grown some hazes and it is not worth it, they do also demand much more attention and it is easier to screw things up ).
If you like a haze, grow at least one with a little Indica so you get some time and effort saved.

I have grown Arjans Ultra Haze #1, Straw Berry Haze, G13 Haze, Purple Haze.

I only grow plants with atleast 40 % indica now, I get more high also with that mix.

Baron

Thanks for the help, But now that i think about it i think ive seen another journal with the same problem with stretching while growing super lemon haze. Mabie ill try SCROG next time to prevent stretching. Is someone able to tell me the correct distance for a 150 watt hps? I have it about 8 inch from the top. Any help would appreciated!!

Stretch in early flower is normal. They'll grow explosively vertical for a period of time, that time is determined by strain. Sativas, like your SLH, can triple or more their height in flower. Indicas stretch as well, but not as much, usually doubling or just a bit more, their height.

If height is becoming an issue, you can still bend them over to some degree, if you are very careful and do it is stages. Tie it off and pull it over an inch a day until you get her leaned over. I use butcher string for tying off. At this point, I'd use 4-6 strings and bend it gently a fraction of an inch at a time until reaching the point you want to stop at for the day.

150w for one plant is plenty of light, and to some small degree you can control flower stretch by keeping the light MH for the first 2-2.5 weeks, but there is some credible evidence that doing this actually reduces yield. Personally, I change bulbs when I change lighting schedules, but I don't veg my plants very long to control ending heights.

And lastly, Baron I appreciate your opinion, but I feel I must respond to the "Hazes not being worth it." Brother, you have a different taste in high than me, and perhaps moonmist's as well. Alot of people like the mixed high or body stone of a hybrid or an Indica/Indica dominant strain. Then their those like me, that like a big mind high, a creative, energetic buzz that doesn't forcibly relocate us to a couch...different taste is all. Hazes do require more attention but they tend to follow a general pattern, so once you get your hands around them, it's not that much more work.

Back
Top Bottom