Soil or Soilless?

hjayu94

Soil or Soilless??

This confused me too all ends my first grow. I do not have a growing medium picked yet for second grow. I do have nutrients and don't want to buy more.

1) I have 3 part liquid nutrients, 2 bottles say use in "soilless, hydro, coco" and 1 says use in "soil, hydro, coco". It is a 3 part bought together!! So this already confuses me..

2) First grow was "Organic Potting Soil". I assumed this must be soil, and PH'd the water accordingly.

3) Because my nutes said soilless, I figured they weren't any good for Organic Potting SOIL.

4) Went to local store to buy soil nutes, and the guy handed me bottles which also said "soilless, hydro, coco"... Told him I'm growing in Potting Soil, need soil nutes.. He assured me soilless label was for soil?? So confusing.

Soooo...

1) What medium do I buy to use the nutrients I have?

2) With this medium, what should the PH of water be? 5.8 soilless? Or 6's for soil?

Screenshot_20190419-002735.pngScreenshot_20190419-002747.pngScreenshot_20190419-002754.png

Soil can be used in two basic ways. The first is natural, where you feed the micro organisms in the soil, and their byproducts feed the plants. This is called 'Living Organic Soil,' or LOS. Your nutrients will kill off the micro organisms, and can't be used this way. The second method is to treat the soil as a substrate in a drain to waste hydroponics system. always watering with your nutrient mix to run off. This serves to flush out the salts left behind by the plant, and leaves fresh nutrients for it. Your nutrients can be used this way.

I grow soilless in coco/perlite. I treat it as a drain to waste hydroponic system. I'd start with no more than 25% of the label recommended strength. I recommend using Canna Coco if you decide to grow this way. I use their bricks, and after expansion add perlite for a 70% coco / 30% perlite mix. I've tried some of the other coco products. They may cost less, but the quality is much lower as well.

If you decide to grow in soil, @Emilya's thread "The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant" is a great guide, and has helped many on these forums.

There are folks here who can help with any growing method. There is a large group using LOS, and they'd be pleased to advise you, if you decide on that.

Well put, Old Salt.

Great info, thanks old salt! I have a feeling this subject can be confusing for many beginners.

So... by my understanding, I could purchase Organic Potting Soil again, treat as soil, and not use my nutes.. OR using same medium, I can use my current nutrients, if I water to run off, and let dry up? Is that correct?

Or I could just use coco and there is NO doubt in my mind what I'm using :)

So... by my understanding, I could purchase Organic Potting Soil again, treat as soil, and not use my nutes.. OR using same medium, I can use my current nutrients, if I water to run off, and let dry up? Is that correct?

Yes. For LOS the folks are using teas and top dressings made from organic components.

Back
Top Bottom