Soiless Mix Not Absorbing Water Anymore

jojo677

I'm back for more answers! This one has been bothering me for awhile, but it isn't affecting things too much...yet.

I have several plants (Northern Lights and C99) that are in a homemade soiless mix. It is mostly ProMix with some mushroom compost, perlite, and other stuff. I had to do some flushing awhile ago, and the mix got fairly compacted after that (I flushed a lot of water). Once it dried out and I attempted watering, the top 1" will absorb water, but after waiting/watering, I noticed the pots still feel light. It seems that most of the volume will not absorb water. I even attempted to let the pots sit in 1" of water at the base, but they didn't seem to suck much up either. Why could this be?

It is happening in both 1 and 3 gallon pots. Poking holes in the smaller pots helped a bit, but I can still feel the pots being a little light. I also don't really like poking holes in the soil, as it destroys some of the root structure. I searched around and couldn't find any similar issues. Is there a remedy for this aside from re-potting? Most of the plants are a few weeks into flowering, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I can provide more details if needed.

Maybe you have a dry pocket in the middle. Poking around in the soil is fine, just take it easy and use something smooth, i use a chop stick. I make sure i don't have any dirt clumps in my soil before planting. That's my 2 cents, lol.

Actually Antics, ProMix is mostly peat moss, with some other stuff like perlite added. Could the same thing happen with peat? Should I not let it completely dry out?

Cruizer: I'm pretty sure I don't have any air pockets. I broke the mix up very well, and dampened it before use. It's like 90% of the mix is a dry pocket!

Well no kidding.. all this time I just thought Promix was coco. lol You learn something new every day here, thanks brother!

Although now, I really can't help too much, I have zero experience with promix :(

Could be that the soil got to dry, if there is a gap between side of pot & soil it may suggest so...

When soil/compost gets very dry it compacts & shrinks loosing moisture retention to rehydrate just stand pot in a dish/tray of water etc for several hours.

Did you add more perlite to the Promix? To much perlite in a mix from my experience turns to concrete. I tried it with horse manure and soil and had a hard time with the amount of perlite i needed to add without it taking over. I have since given up on that mix.

The promix i have is Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss (75%-85% by volume), Perlite, Limestone (for PH adjustment) and wetting agent (whatever that is)

Fuzzy Duck: It in fact did dry out, but upon trying to re-water it, several times mind you, I kept noticing the lack of water absorption. I'll probably have to set some of the plants in trays of water to absorb, and see how that works. My problem kind of reminds me of the little peat pucks. They take quite awhile to absorb water when they are first used, as they are compacted and dry.

Cruizer: My ProMix is the same as you described. I also did add more perlite to the mix, as I read it was recommended several places. I used fairly fine perlite for the problem plants, and coarse perlite with some later plants, which interestingly aren't having the absorbing issue.

Tead: I'll definitely try adding some dish soap to reduce the water tension when watering very dry, great suggestion!

I'll be sure to report back with the results...

I found some time today to water/feed these plants. It is ridiculous how much better Fox Farms Ocean Forest absorbs water than the mix I am using. I have one plant in it, and I had no problem watering it today.

I tried a few things to get them to soak up water. I poked small holes and poured water into them, but it didn't seem to help much and I just hate feeling those roots snap! I also tried adding 3-4 drops of dish soap to a few of the plants, but this too didn't seem to help much more than just water. The only real fix was to sit them in 2-3 inches of water for a few hours and let them wick it up.

I won't let them get that dry again!

Back
Top Bottom