Some curing musings and questions

Zafu

Good day all,

So, I've been growing for the past five years, strictly outdoors in 30-gallon fabric pots and the results have been wonderful. Thank you 420 forum for all the assistance along the way. As we all know, growing is the first part, so to speak, but the curing is its own special phase and where much of the magic produces a quality, or somewhat sub quality end result.

Due to my particular situation, curing location, temperatures, etc., I often find my first few harvested ladies drying fairly quickly and may be a matter of days to one week before they find themselves at 62 humidity and jarred with 62% humid packs. This has worked out fine, though never producing the taste and smoothness I've ideally wanted. As the harvesting season continues and temps drop, I find my later harvests have a longer period between harvest and jarring, at 62%, perhaps a few weeks, or more. This year, I've done something different with my last two harvested ladies and that's where my questions and request for any feedback comes in.

Instead of getting the humidity of the buds down to close, or near 62% and jarring with a humidity packet; I've jarred them at 70% with no humidity packet and very very very slowly watching the level drop. At this rate, could be a month, or more before I get them from 70% range to 62% and throw in a humidity packet. Previously, I've been reluctant to do this because I was concerned it may get moldy, so in hind sight, believe I was in too much of a rush to get them close to 62% and in a jar with a packet. I say this, because even at 70%, I don't see any signs of mold at all. I open the jars for a few minutes each day and rotate the buds a bit.

In summary, I feel I've been far too cautious in prior years. It seems to me that by the time the buds get down to around 70% humidity, they are stable and it isn't so easy for mold to occur if burped, etc. I understand many growers don't even use humidity packets at all, which doesn't sound like a good idea for long-term storage, but as I'm finding out, probably produces a better result overall, as my understanding is the longer it takes for a bud to get to 62%, the potentially smoother and tastier the end product.

Am I correct that at around 70% humidity, the bud is very stable and that I can generally take a month, or more to bring it down to 62% without much concern for mold?

Thank you for reading and look forward to any feedback you provide.

Zafu

once you get down below 70% RH, the risk of mold dramatically falls off and yes, if you are in that range it is fairly safe to slowly bring it down into the cure range, without the boveda pack. Make sure everything is clinically clean though... I have ruined a few jars of product by having the RH too high in a re-used and not sterilized quart jar, where eventually I did get mold and had to throw the product out.

Thanks Emilya. Yes, I thoroughly washed out and dried my jars first, of course. :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing the result of this in a few months, or so. I feel a bit silly being so rushed in previous harvests, however in my self defense, it is a huge undertaking between harvesting, washing, hanging, trimming, etc. etc., seemed like the most expedient and safest path was to get to 62-ish and just jar them with a Boveda pack. They turned out just fine, but never got to the taste and smoothness I know it can be. Maybe this time will be the charm and set a new method going forward.

Cheers,

Zafu

Back
Top Bottom