Something is eating my plants

rdglarry

I have something eating my plants.
This is an outdoor grow.
The area is surrounded with poultry netting (chicken wire) and the bottom is into the ground a few inches. I have looked it over and have yet to see how this critter is getting in. It is not bugs or deer, (no prints).

First it ate the top off a fresh transplant then two days latter it ate the plant down to a single short stem. This was a 1' tall plant.

On other plants I see the blades of the leafs (left whole) around the bottom of the plants with the stem nibbled to the trunk.

I picked up some rabbit and deer repellent (Purified egg) but will not be back out there for a few days so I am looking for insight.

I also picked up several large rat traps and have two live animal traps loaded up. As a wild guess I will be taking lettuce, apples and carrots as bate for the larger traps.

I had extra poultry netting and have wrapped up the smaller plants in hopes there is a breach in my fence I missed.

I would hate to have a nibble turn into a infection and loose any plans.

Any one come across this before?

Thanks

I have seen worms that can do this. They eat the leaves and the only thing left behind is stems. Some ants can do that type of damage too.

I assume nothing is reaching over the top of your fence and munching the plants? it would seem the most likely. Maybe turn the dirt around your fence so that it is loose and whatever it is will leave good prints.

Hope some of this helps. Usually by the time I figure out what is eating my plants....the damage has been done.

Looking at what was left of the trunk of the smaller transplant it appeared to be frayed, more like teeth. I will be checking much closer the next time I get out there.

I have had loads of aphid attacks. Never really saw them eat leaves down to the stem. You would see them on the plant. They like to hang out.

I have seen aphids out of control and ants taking care of the like cattle. Protecting them, harvesting their secretions. These would be the little greenies and they were on my roses. Every year. I usually dont let them get that bad. Aphids are easily controlled with a garden hose. Wash them off. They tend to die before getting back on the plant. It is highly effective. Better than any organic pesticide for me.

Caterpillers and worms I like to use dipel dust. Another organic powder.

Recently I have been battling ants. These guys are hard to get rid of using orgnic techniques. I was using diatomaceous earth but they seemed to shrug it off. I just mixed up some old school diazanon and poured it down their hole which was no where near my plants. Otherwise I would never have used it.

Birds. around here its turkeys. took me two years to figure out the threat was flying in, not walking or crawling.

Back
Top Bottom