spider mites

lavendar

i am mmj. i have been growing from seeds i bought, and kept some clones...both my husband (mmj also) and i are in our mid. 60's, we keep a small indoor garden....i recently got some clones from a friend I noticed speckles and sur e enought...the dreaded spider mites, i had just moved 5 over to the bud rm. a few days before....i azomaxed the clones when i brought them home....still hatched a few....so no webs or not too bad so far...i bought preditor mites, triple threat, and put in both rooms....so how many batches and how often do i need to get them before the sm. are wiped out, or will they ever be now?? i violated my own rule when i got the clones, and for a whole yr. i was bug free....i am just sick at heart now....any suggestions....help...thank you...i feel like tearing down both rooms and bombing them into oblivion....but i swear the things could live thru anything...:rollit:

Re: spider mites....

the azamax says to make two to three applications at 10-14 day intervals until the pest pressure has ended, (with high insect pressure make applications 5-7 days) additional applications may be required with increased and prolonged infestation.
hope this helps :peace:

thank you, but i am reluctant to use in the bud room,and the plants are too far into bud in some plants to use and the others are too large, but the veg are still in 1 gal pots so i guess i could full a bath tub full and drag them over to the other place and submerge...misting just doesnt seem to really get it, and the infestation is not that heavy yet....i guess i'm just a fan of "the art of war"...and want to stop it before it even gets a good foot hold, altho having the b's at all is an "act of war" against my babies...tia

You have to be sure and mist the underside of the leaves real good. Thats where spider mites live and leave there eggs. Even water will work. But neem oil is generally the most reliable and safe method. Hit them once every 3 or 4 days.
I've seen more people lose there crops because they panic when they get hit with spider mites. Just hit them easy with the neem. It'll kill them, it just takes a couple weeks.

i have neem oil also....do i rinse it off? before bud? or does it leave a taste and smell...tia

i am mmj. i have been growing from seeds i bought, and kept some clones...both my husband (mmj also) and i are in our mid. 60's, we keep a small indoor garden....i recently got some clones from a friend I noticed speckles and sur e enought...the dreaded spider mites, i had just moved 5 over to the bud rm. a few days before....i azomaxed the clones when i brought them home....still hatched a few....so no webs or not too bad so far...i bought preditor mites, triple threat, and put in both rooms....so how many batches and how often do i need to get them before the sm. are wiped out, or will they ever be now?? i violated my own rule when i got the clones, and for a whole yr. i was bug free....i am just sick at heart now....any suggestions....help...thank you...i feel like tearing down both rooms and bombing them into oblivion....but i swear the things could live thru anything...:rollit:

Ah Lav, I feel your bug pain...:peace: MF perhaps there is something in my following link that can assist you...Captains Log- Star Date 09/29-The Borg/Bug Wars

Spider mites are not insects but are more closely related to spiders. These arachnids have four pairs of legs, no antennae and a single, oval body region. Most spider mites have the ability to produce a fine silk webbing. Spider mites are very tiny, being less than 1/50 inch (0.4mm) long when adults. Spider mites have tiny mouthparts modified for piercing individual plant cells and removing the contents. This results in tiny yellow or white speckles. When many of these feeding spots occur near each other, the foliage takes on a yellow or bronzed cast. Once the foliage of a plant becomes bronzed, it often drops prematurely. Heavily infested plants may be discolored, stunted or even killed. Web producing spider mites may coat the foliage with the fine silk which collects dust and looks dirty. Spider mite species seem to be warm weather or cool weather active pests. Adult females usually lay eggs on their host plants. The eggs hatch in days to weeks into the first stage, called a larva. Larvae are round bodied and have only three pairs of legs. The larvae feed for a few days, seek a sheltered spot to rest and then molt into the first nymphal stage. The first nymph now has four pairs of legs. The first nymphs feed a few days, rest and molt into the second nymph. The second nymphs feed, rest and molt into the adult stage. The males are usually the size of the second nymph and have pointed abdomens. The females have rounded abdomens and are the largest mites present. Most spider mites spend the winter in the egg stage but the twospotted spider mite over winters as adult females resting in protected places.

Solution - Early detection of spider mites, before damage is noticed, is VERY important. The tiny spider mites can be detected only by a full and thorough leaf inspection (on both sides of the leaf). If you find Spider Mites you must act fast and hit them hard with either a bleach solution (1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 gallon of very hot 95°F, pH balanced, water in a spray bottle.) Hydroponics Stores also sell Neem Oil and other remedies for spider mites.

Or one of the best things to do is get a bucket of HOT water and make a combination of neem oil and safer soap or additive free dish washing soap. You want the water to be warm so that the neem oil will break apart and mix throughout the water. DO NOT dunk your plants in until the water has safely come back to room temperature.
The safer soap will not only act as a wetting agent to help coat the plant but also weakens the exoskeletons of the lil buggers. The neem oil will make them immobile so they cannot move and suffocate them.
Dunking is the most effective method while they are smaller because it coats everything from the ground up, but this is a very effective spray. You should spray every three days, the undersides of the leaves or dunk every three days depending on size. This is the most eco friendly and safest method of treatment. This is what you should try first.

And like they say, an ounce of prevention, ( a good insecticide used on the floor and walls, like Home Defense) is better than a ton of cure.

I have fought these bastards for years after receiving tainted clones.. I did read an articel from ED ROSENTHAL though, that using azatrol or neem or mixing them then spraying in intervals, for example:

YOU MUST SPRAY the undersides of the leaves, but you should spray those 2 times a day, every other day for a week to stop the eggs from hathcing, when a spider mite dies it lays eggs, so then there is another phase of eggs ready to hatch, you must dip clones in this solution or one like it before bringing them into your garden, this ensures DEAD eggs and mites..

But I have had great results in spraying 2 times a day (veg) every other day for a week.. with a slightly diluted mix, not so strong as to harm the plants... I like to mix
NEEM
TAKE DOWN
AZATROL

thank you all so much for your replies and help...i started with preditor mites and they are still alive on the plants and doing their job and no webs, just cleaned again real good today....need to invest in the room cleaner tho....are there any hazards with it? i usually use bleach and dawn,(plain, antiseptic) on the floor and walls ect....is the other better? thank you....lavendar

i am a newbie....my flowering plants are infested with these spider mites. kinda freaking out at the moment, as it was a minor issue prior to flowering, we had taken steps to eliminate them prior to flowering (which only seemed to be on the mother in the beginning), however they were never eliminated by spraying...now we are in the later stages of flowering and the mother is just about overtaken (yellow leaves)...i also noticed the other plants were infected, but the leaves are not hurting nearly as much yet...what can i do? do i cut my losses and start over at this point? kinda sucks at this stage, not like i can dip the flowering plants...would assume all i could try is spraying/saturating the plants and throw in a humidifier??? any help would be appreciated...also realizing there are more than likely threads already out there, if any can point me in the right direction....

i am a newbie....my flowering plants are infested with these spider mites. kinda freaking out at the moment, as it was a minor issue prior to flowering, we had taken steps to eliminate them prior to flowering (which only seemed to be on the mother in the beginning), however they were never eliminated by spraying...now we are in the later stages of flowering and the mother is just about overtaken (yellow leaves)...i also noticed the other plants were infected, but the leaves are not hurting nearly as much yet...what can i do? do i cut my losses and start over at this point? kinda sucks at this stage, not like i can dip the flowering plants...would assume all i could try is spraying/saturating the plants and throw in a humidifier??? any help would be appreciated...also realizing there are more than likely threads already out there, if any can point me in the right direction....

Read the above posts.

thanks roseman....on the way....

greenboi...
see above post of medi freddie and his borg-bug wars....its about what saved my sanity...i had worked so hard....and had no humor left.....good luck, lavendar

Take your plants to the Movie Theater.
Sit with them next to you, and buy some very salty popcorn. The spider mites will help themselves to the popcorn, like they did your plants, and they will eat the popcorn and get thirsty.
When the Spider Mites get up to go get something to drink, grab your plants and run, leaving the spider mites behind.

Yea, thats the ticket, go to the movie theater! LOL

Back
Top Bottom