Chickens, marijuana and spider mites

Grandma Weedstein

Just a couple observations for those of us who own chickens:

I had a few cloned plants languishing in the garage over winter that I’d basically forgotten. Totally covered in spider mites. So I put the containers out in my chicken yard and figured the chickens would just eat the whole plants, like they do with anything growing out there.
Accidental science happened!
Not only did the chickens eat all the spider mites but they spared the weed plants themselves. I guess chickens like spider mites but not marijuana!
The three plants look pretty decent now after I pruned them up a bit and made them look pretty. In any case, this seems like a cheap and easy method of integrated pest management for those of us with chickens.

Have other people noticed the same thing with their chickens? Or are my chickens just special? They literally eat everything that sprouts in their fenced-off area that’s like 25 feet by 40 feet. Not even a blade of grass survives, and yet they left the cannabis alone!

Probably varies like some cats will eat it and others won't, but also they probably prefer younger sprouts and would be more of a problem with younger plants than a older plant.

Back
Top Bottom