Stainless steel water bottle + rosin bag?

Heraldo

Any thought or critiques on using one of those stainless steel water bottles with a rosin bag ziptied to the mouth to make BHO?
Seems so simple in my head: drill a small hole in the bottom of the bottle, pack it with trim (or whatever you use), attach the rosin bag and blast it.
Only negative I can think of is clean up being a hastle.
Also, how much butane you think you'd need for a packed 18oz (500ml) bottle? I'd be using those 300ml cans.

Look for a tall skinny chamber, more like a turkey baster shape. You want every drop of butane touching as much of the product on the way down as possible. The taller the cylinder, the longer it takes for the butane to exit, the more it can extract. The bottom drain hole should also be smaller than the cylinder to slow the butane so it can extract longer before escaping. But do not obstruct the drain. Otherwise you use more butane to extract less oil.

If your extractor and butane can are the same size figure 2 to 3 cans of butane. Make sure you are using pure butane. You run until it flows clear out of the filter into your catch pan. Having a clear chamber makes it easier to see the color flush out. boil off the butane. Vacuum chamber it or work it over several days until there is no longer any butane vapor.
If your extraction was complete you should have dry chopped bud that can be rinsed out with water.

DO ALL OF THIS FAR AWAY FROM ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT DESTROYED! HOUSE, GARAGE, TREES,, NOTHING NEAR IT!! ABSOLUTLY NO SPARKS OR FLAME ANYWHERE NEER IT!! If butane vapor ignites, it explodes!

I'll have to look around for something that seems the right shape or a turkey baster thats big enough. The ones I've seen seem a bit too small.

Vacuum chamber it or work it over several days until there is no longer any butane vapor.
Work it in what sense? I've only purged using a double boiler until there are no more bubbles forming (a few hours) and then let it sit a day or 2.

DO ALL OF THIS FAR AWAY FROM ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT DESTROYED! HOUSE, GARAGE, TREES,, NOTHING NEAR IT!! ABSOLUTLY NO SPARKS OR FLAME ANYWHERE NEER IT!! If butane vapor ignites, it explodes!
I learned that the hard way with one of my first BHO extraction attempts due to a candle I forgot to put out. Nothing major happened, but I did learn to take better precautions.

After you double boil, the vapors continue to leach out over the next few days. The layer on the bottom is incapsulated by the glass bowl and top layer so it won't easily gas off. You need the bottom layer exposed to air. Depending on consistency, peal and flip, mix or knead and press flat.

Look at separating funnels use in chemistry.1000Ml AKA 34 fluid oz is around $30us on amazon. Use a rubber stopper in the top with a hole for injecting butane. A lot of people use PVC pipe with end caps. PVC and polycarbonates are nonreactive to butane. The tubing cover for florescent light bulbs is usually polycarbonate also.

Glad to hear it was a cheap lesson learned. stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom