Starting indoors transplanting outdoors

lemon_diesel

I've got a few babies that I want to start indoors for a few weeks so i can get them good and strong before going outdoors. I'm on a tight budget and don't want to spend money on an expensive lighting system. Are there any self ballasted bulbs strong enough to get my kids going good?

go to home depot and buy a 18 inch plant/aquarium flourescent light, its 9 bucks canadian, then the ballast that holds it is 12 dollars and it comes with a different bulb that will be useless to you. put them in a big rubbermaid container with some holes in it and you have a perfect temporary shelter. one tip to think about it blowing a fan on your plants to strengthen the stems before you put them outside.

Either at HomeDepot or Lowes pick up one 4 foot dual bulb 40watt per bulb shop fixture and 2 soft white bulbs. These are those 4 foot long floros you see in shops and in some house kitchens. The fixture will run you about $10.00 and the bulbs are about $3.00 each. Total less than $20.00 and these will supply enough light for clones and starts and everything you need is there. no other items or ballasts needed.

the flouros are great lights for their price as RF said. you can also go with CFL that fit into a standard socket. theyve also got these Y shaped sockets so 2 lights can fit into one. theres no standard size for putting them outside, a good 3-4 weeks should ensure theyre strong enough thrive outside.
happy growin this season

wow thanks for the rubbermaid idea my babies shot up overnight its crazy. I dont know if the temp. was too cold or if there wasnt enough light but now that they are enclosed they're doin great thanks alot!

np man, i usually use a rubbermade container, its not optimal but its good enough till you can get them in the sun after sexing them.....good luck man just dont tell a soul where you plant them, one of the hardest thing for a beginner grower is to let the plant do its thing, be patient, when you think its ready wait a few more weeks, ppl in my neck of the woods try and grow and theyre weed is crap but it has so much potential if they could of just let it grow for another 2 to 4 weeks but they just have to have it lol

go to home depot and buy a 18 inch plant/aquarium flourescent light, its 9 bucks canadian, then the ballast that holds it is 12 dollars and it comes with a different bulb that will be useless to you. put them in a big rubbermaid container with some holes in it and you have a perfect temporary shelter. one tip to think about it blowing a fan on your plants to strengthen the stems before you put them outside.

if the plants are enclosed in a rubbermaid container, what kind of fan would you use?

i would think an 80mm case fan (or even a 120mm) wouldn't be enough to get the desired effect you're talking about, no? (the stem strengthening, that is). if so, i've got one of each lying around somewhere....

it's funny that i see this thread, i was just out and about scouting for grow sites because i too do not want to invest in a ton of lighting or space. i share a tiny studio apartment with someone, so... yeah. there's no way im growing indoors.

few years ago, when i was in texas, a buddy and i were outside on the driveway and we noticed a pot plant growin off to the side (the very same area where i sat in my drivers seat and stemmed and seeded my weed on hot summer nights). the thing was about a foot tall. over the course of a couple weeks, it'd grown to four or five feet. texas summers are pretty brutal (this one especially) and the ONLY water that this plant had gotten was from the waste water our dishwasher spilled out the side of the house, across the driveway and into the "soil" (where dandelions wouldnt even dare to try and grow).

so, i figure if it can withstand those conditions, then growing in oregon should be a piece of cake. especially if i follow some of the outdoor growing guides and do the right prep.

one other question, once i transplant to the outdoors and the weed starts to smell, how far away can it be smelled from (assuming there's no breeze blowing it your way)?

it's going to be growing on the side of a hill, so i dont imagine a breeze would blow it UP the hill and over into the neighborhood, but im sure stranger things have happened.

edit: as for the smell question, i'm not growing a ton of plants. probably only three or four.

thanks guys!

jiz

only growing 3 or 4 smell wont be an issue till you need to cut them down to dry them.....as for the fan size i use a small fan but the 120 mm fan should be enough, try and mount it upside down on the lid of the growbox blowing down on the plants if you only have 3 space isnt needed in the box so that might not be a good idea just sit it in there upright......when i mounted my fan i had imagined it falling down onto my plants and decapitating them all lol you dont need a fan till they are a month old or so

yea and since you prolly have lots of space in the container you dont have to hang it from the lid! im starting my cabinet grow in 5 days i spent about 70 bucks today on supplies and all i need now is dirt and to germinate my seeds......Boss you think the plants will be alright even when they are a week old to have the fan blowing on them? i usually wait a couple weeks but ive never tried using it right away, id like to this year cuz the set up i have needs air movement

Back
Top Bottom