Stealth - Soil - HID - Smart Pot - SCROG - GDP - First Grow

Re: Stealth, Soil, HID, Smart Pot, SCROG, GDP - First Grow

So, you got the shears ready? :)

I feel like I'm waiting for a friends baby to be delivered :rofl:.

Don't forget to stretch your hands every hour or so!

:peacetwo:

Day 106 - Flowering Day 60

OMG that was an ordeal. I was trimming from 830am to almost 1pm. I can't believe how long it took..the grape smell was so strong I almost got sick!!

I harvested today guys and let me tell you it was a nice haul. I don't know how many zips we're talking but the screen is pretty full. I separated out the screen by the plant and I'll be able to sample them individually in about a week..

It looks like a couple oz's of purple buds then at least 2 oz's of B and C buds then who knows how much good quality trim for baking...I'll be weighing in a week..

I don't do the wet weight thing..we'll just wait til they're close to dry before I "weigh in" on that!! :rofl:

I also separated them by the quality of the bud..the top colas are on the screen, the grade "B" buds, lower grade buds and bud trim and regular trim are in paper bags about 3" full...I 86'd the fan leaves..

I've got lots and lots of meds that will last me for a long time!! :party:

The buds are really pretty all trimmed up and looking purdy!!

Day_106_-_5.jpg
Day_106_-_4.jpg
Day_106_-_3.jpg
Day_106_-_2.jpg
Day_106_-_1.jpg
Screen_installed.jpg
Buds_Drying.jpg
Bags2.jpg

My humidity is way low, around 30%, which kind of sucks I think...anyone? Is that too low?

If it is, not much I can do about it. 7 to 10 of this then major curing. This already smokes smooth though..that is an AWESOME sign...

:Namaste:

Day 106 - Flowering Day 60

OMG that was an ordeal. I was trimming from 830am to almost 1pm. I can't believe how long it took..the grape smell was so strong I almost got sick!!

I harvested today guys and let me tell you it was a nice haul. I don't know how many zips we're talking but the screen is pretty full. I separated out the screen by the plant and I'll be able to sample them individually in about a week..

I also separated them by the quality of the bud..the top colas are on the screen, the grade "B" buds, lower grade buds and bud trim and regular trim are in paper bags about 3" full...I 86'd the fan leaves..

I've got lots and lots of meds that will last me for a long time!! :party:

The buds are really pretty all trimmed up and looking purdy!!

Day_106_-_5.jpg
Day_106_-_4.jpg
Day_106_-_3.jpg
Day_106_-_2.jpg
Day_106_-_1.jpg
Screen_installed.jpg
Buds_Drying.jpg
Bags2.jpg

My humidity is way low, around 30%, which kind of sucks I think...anyone? Is that too low?

If it is, not much I can do about it. 7 to 10 of this then major curing. This already smokes smooth though..that is an AWESOME sign...

Holy crap Brother!!! AAAAAAwesome job, awesome plants, awesome colors. Congratulations on the first of many quality hauls my friend!! Not many people do this well their first time around. I can only hope Ill do this well on my current run, but even if It comes out well, I know my girls wont look nearly as impressive as those!

I hear ya on the trimming. It took a good 4 hours just to do 2 full grown plants on my last one, and for only 2.5 zips!! It's an art, and worth the extra time, IMO, to do it right, even when your hand, and back, and eyes hurt from all the concentration!!

Anyway, congrats again, and cant wait to see what you can do with your aquired skill and knowledge!!:popcorn::Namaste:

Congrats on the harvest GF sounds like a great haul :woohoo:

What a beautiful plant.

What are your temps? With such low rh try to control the amount of air they're exposed to. Try to dry them in somewhat enclosed area if you can, like in a closet. You still want some air circulation within the area, but keep as much fresh air out as you can, as the plants dry they'll raise the rh in the area. Good luck bro!

Congrats on the harvest GF sounds like a great haul :woohoo:

What a beautiful plant.

What are your temps? With such low rh try to control the amount of air they're exposed to. Try to dry them in somewhat enclosed area if you can, like in a closet. You still want some air circulation within the area, but keep as much fresh air out as you can, as the plants dry they'll raise the rh in the area. Good luck bro!

The temps right now are in the high 60's, low 70's. It's especially dry here right now but I don't expect that to last more than a day.

Thanks for a tip on the airflow. I've got a fan going in there...I'll turn that off and disconnect one of my exhaust fans.

That will keep air circulating but just enough. They are drying in a totally enclosed area.

Thanks!!

Quix...is that good for a first grow??

All I've done is follow the advice and what I've learned from this site. I was able to copy freakin everyone...

Thanks for the kind words bro!!

Dude! That's a lot of bud! If each bud on the screen weighed in at just a gram dry... You'd have over 3 ozs. I'm gonna guess you have at least a few 2-3 g buds on there if not more, now do some of that math with watcha got down low... Niiiiice! :)

Congrats my man, you should feel proud. I know a lot of us are proud of ya.

Great work, Cheers to you!

Drying Day 1

Funny how you can segway into different stages of this and keep your journal going!! LOL

The humidity did come up a little after I cut off one of my exhaust fans and the circulation fan inside the box.

The ideal humidity is 45 to 55% according to Jorge..I'm currently 35% and, as bluedog so aptly said, if my humidity is going to be that low, you've got to keep the air circulation minimal. Non existent wouldn't be good but minimal so they don't dry out too fast.

Tonight I'll post up some pics of my best cola's. They are really pretty. I want to document this with you guys/dolls so that if I'm not doing the best that I can then ya'll can let me know.

Thanks for your continued support of my journal. I'm having fun with it..

Spliffington...thanks for the points my brotha....didn't even know you were there. Comment, post, start a journal..let's see what you've got going!!

Giantsfan are you going to hash the trim?

Congrats on the awesome harvest brother! :high-five: I've dealt with low RH before during drying, and after a couple of days of good air drying, I bag them in paper bags with some holes in them. Keeps some of the humidity, but not too much, in with the buds. I then have air circulating in the room but not right on them. I periodically "shake" the bags to keep them stirred up. Slows the dry down enough to not over-dry them to quickly for me. I've had to play around and tweak it over time, but it works for me.

Nice haul, man!! :party:

Giantsfan are you going to hash the trim?

No I don't think I will. I got rid of the fan leaves and I will make butter or oil out of the trim leaves. I really like edibles cause I can take them with me anywhere and have a snack with no one being the wiser. :)

Congrats on the awesome harvest brother! :high-five: I've dealt with low RH before during drying, and after a couple of days of good air drying, I bag them in paper bags with some holes in them. Keeps some of the humidity, but not too much, in with the buds. I then have air circulating in the room but not right on them. I periodically "shake" the bags to keep them stirred up. Slows the dry down enough to not over-dry them to quickly for me. I've had to play around and tweak it over time, but it works for me.

Nice haul, man!! :party:

That's what I was thinking. I've got the paper bags there with "b" buds and trim in them open..I do the same thing...shake them up twice a day to keep things mixed up and not just sitting at the bottom of the bag.

The bible says that you can go as deep as 6" in the bags but I'm not that deep.

That's a good idea for the buds though. I'll do that and name it after you bro!! :)

Bud pics to come!!

Don't worry about the low rh. Just keep that fan going and snap check those stems until they crack. The low rh will only make a difference if you went days longer. I personally prefer a dry box that dries. When you goto cure if they got a bit too dry the jar will redistribute the rh from some of the larger colas.

You did it bro. Congrats.

Hey GF, I don't know if you have seen yet but I had to do an early harvest. The PM was getting crazy and I was afraid I'd loose my whole little crop. BlueDog came to the rescue and suggested I chop and then water cure the buds to eradicate the mold and flush at the same time , which I am now doing.

The reason I bring this up is that I know you are an edibles kind of guy and this process may be right up your alley as it removes most of the smell and taste but leaves behind the THC, which I would imagine would take the possible funky taste out of edibles made from air cured weed...

The process is laid out on page 53 of my journal, post #791 from BlueDog. You would leave out the H2O2. Just a crazy thought, but the smell and taste of some edibles I've had make me kinda ill. It's almost like they were made with dirty bong water :). This way your popcorn and trim could be left with just plant matter and the THC. Stealth smoke or better cooking I'd imagine.

Or Im just baked (I AM :)) but i think it would work great for your bags of weed if you are gonna cook it anyway. I'd just smoke the stuff on the screen :high-five:

Take care my friend.

Hey GF, I don't know if you have seen yet but I had to do an early harvest. The PM was getting crazy and I was afraid I'd loose my whole little crop. BlueDog came to the rescue and suggested I chop and then water cure the buds to eradicate the mold and flush at the same time , which I am now doing.

The reason I bring this up is that I know you are an edibles kind of guy and this process may be right up your alley as it removes most of the smell and taste but leaves behind the THC, which I would imagine would take the possible funky taste out of edibles made from air cured weed...

The process is laid out on page 53 of my journal, post #791 from BlueDog. You would leave out the H2O2. Just a crazy thought, but the smell and taste of some edibles I've had make me kinda ill. It's almost like they were made with dirty bong water :). This way your popcorn and trim could be left with just plant matter and the THC. Stealth smoke or better cooking I'd imagine.

Or Im just baked (I AM :)) but i think it would work great for your bags of weed if you are gonna cook it anyway. I'd just smoke the stuff on the screen :high-five:

Take care my friend.

I will definitely check out the post on that. I have a lot of great trim for cooking and want to get it just right.

Sorry to hear about your issues..damn seems like the beginning and the end just sucked..hopefully though the product turned out acceptable.. :)

Drying

Ok...so I got pics and I've changed a couple things about what's going on Behind the Green Door....that is the name of my next journal btw...thanks Dime!!

I combined the leaf trim and the "b" buds into their own bags...no reason really to separate them. I've got the following:

1) Tops of both plants. For now I want to keep those separate cause I want to see which plant is better or how the high differs if it does.

2) "B" buds are the buds that weren't top colas but were a little lower.

3) Under buds...these are buds that were lower but still developed.

4) Then I've got leaf trim with mini buds that weren't fully developed.

and

5) Leaf trim.

So far, it looks like I've got about 3 to 4 zips total from the grow. Pure top colas is about 2 zips I think. I'll do a weigh on Friday, 7 days from harvest.

The top colas are really nice but you can tell by the color that they could have gone longer if I could've controlled the temps into this week. Today would've been week 10 of flower. The ambient temps are going to be over 80 this week and I was concerned that I was going to see diminishing quality results if I let them go in the heat.

The leaf trim and leaf with mini buds will go to butter or oil. The under buds and "b" buds will be mixed and probably given away to friends and I'll selfishly keep most of the top colas for myself, with exception to one special friend..I hope that friend is still watching this journal, you know who you are "PR"...who I'll give some very nice smoke to.

Curing will be done in mason jars and I'll keep them in the box for 4 weeks or so to cure then I'll probably try and get a vacuum sealer and split the haul into 1/2 zip bags as I won't go through all of it in a year...

Question: Can I just store these in the mason jars indefinitely?

Pics!

These are just some, not all, of the top colas.
Drying_-_4.jpg

Drying_-_6.jpg
Drying_-_2.jpg

These are the "b" buds...they look pretty nice actually..
Drying_-_B_buds.jpg

Leaf trim with mini buds..
Drying_-_under_buds.jpg

Leaf trim..
Drying_-_leaf_trim.jpg

I initially had the larger colas on the screen but with the low humidity, I decided to bag them to create a micro climate inside the paper bags to slow down the drying process. The stems are still bending. I'm mixing them twice a day to keep the mold away.

On Friday, I'll do a smoke test and report my findings then..that will be 7 days of drying :)

Questions? Comments??

I'd like to thank everyone who has participated and/or been supportive of my first grow. I consider it a success but alas...I know I can do better. Hopefully with a few box mods I can tweak this into something really good by fall..

Great harvest GF congrats!

The hygrometer post says that once the rH of the buds is in the 55-60 range you can safely store it indefinitely with no risk of mold. I'd still check it but hopefully that's correct. I've had some sitting in the range for a few months now with no mold, but the temps have been cooler too.

In my case hanging the girls for a week with temps in the 50's, rH in the 20's and they were at 65-70 rh after that. If you jar them and burp them in that state it takes weeks to drop the rH below 60, or it did in my case. I'm guessing with higher temps it would be quicker. I think the best strategy is to get them to 65 rh quickly, then slowly work them down to 57-58 as they cure.

Good luck my friend!

Ok so per Bluedog's recommendation, I snatched my hygrometer out of my humidor...I just happened to have the exact one he described...jarred some of the bud from both ladies to measure where I am after drying for 3 days.

Curing.jpg

So far, they've been in the jars for about 5 to 10 minutes and the humidity is just up to 56%...how can that be after only 3 days??

If this is the case and the humidity is that low in the jars, I'm jarring all of it today...

It might take a while for the humidity to build up in the jar so I'm going to give it a few hours to get an accurate reading...Edit: I see the bottom of this post says 24 hours for an accurate reading..I won't wait that long. I know this hygrometer and it responds fast.

I'll watch it for a few hours then if it's still low...I'm jarring..

This adds a level of control to the drying/curing process that I was looking for...up to 57% now...I think it takes a bit to get an accurate measurement...

So to re-hash...LOL...here are the parameters from Bluedog:

Watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

Stay tuned!! :)

Those purps look really dank and healthy. Nice purple coloring. I've been vegging a GDP clone I bought from a dispensary for 2 months and it is absolutely huge. It looks like a bush. It is growing in a 3 gallon Smart Pot under a T5 and a couple T8s. I love purple strains. I want to try growing the Purps from BC Bud Depot and there is also this purple Afghani I want to try growing. The purple Afghani is a strange story of a strain because the breeders who grew it were not intending to make a Purple Strain. They crossed an Afghan Kush with a G-13 male, neither plant had ant purple traits, but when the hybrid seeds came out they grew up to be purps.

Back
Top Bottom