Stealth - Soil - HID - Smart Pot - SCROG - GDP - First Grow

Re: Stealth, Soil, HID, Smart Pot, SCROG, GDP - First Grow

Wow GF very, VERY nice my friend, great job. Those are some really beautiful colas, and you should be proud of yourself!

As for drying and curing, I think it was BlueDog who said it best recently, but your average temps, and humidity play a pretty big role in the method, and timing of your dry. I think curing is pretty universal, but there are varying methods. I have personally only had one run at drying and curing, which went pretty well but there is always room for improvement. So here is a post I saved that Blue posted somewhere a while back, and like I said some of this can, and SHOULD be modified to suit your conditions and preferences:goodluck:

It's a very simple and effective process:

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feel dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

Hope this gives you some Ideas, and hopefully others will chime in, as I'm a huge fan of great tasting herb and would love to hear others' suggestions...:peacetwo:

Thanks for this Quix...I need to refine my method by morning!! This helps, thanks! :thanks:

Hey guys just to be clear I didn't write that curing post, it's been floating around and I found it to be very helpful.

Nice screen GF, that should work great!

Thanks Blue...I was just thinking how to best dry my sweeties and I think this will work really well. What do you think about the newspaper idea? I thought it would absorb some moisture as well as be porous enough to allow breathing...

damn its been like a week since ive been in here and they have changed so much, shit a week ago the purple was just starting, now look at them, covered.. lookin good bro, shit its about that time isn't?? :thumb:

I'm letting the girls go one more day and I'm harvesting in the morning bro..I'm going to do one more trich check though and make sure I'm good.
Nice to see you stopping by!!

:Namaste:

Q no hard feelings at all my friend I just don't want whoever put that together thinking I'm stealing credit for it :)

GF I've heard of guys using newspaper but I wouldn't do it myself, everytime I read a paper my fingers have the ink all over them and I gotta think some of that will leach into your buds. Would paper towels work?

I've always liked this thread too

What is RH, and Why Is It Important in Drying, Curing and Storing Bud?

Good luck bro!

Q no hard feelings at all my friend I just don't want whoever put that together thinking I'm stealing credit for it :)

GF I've heard of guys using newspaper but I wouldn't do it myself, everytime I read a paper my fingers have the ink all over them and I gotta think some of that will leach into your buds. Would paper towels work?

I've always liked this thread too

What is RH, and Why Is It Important in Drying, Curing and Storing Bud?

Good luck bro!

Great suggestion there!! I, too, get ink on my fingers when I read the paper...great call and thanks for the link...

I just checked in on my girls and they were wilting!! Too much drying out for me..I gave them each a half gallon of water to tie them over.

A quick check of trich's is still yielding some clear ones...I don't like that!!

I'll give them another check in the morning and if I'm not seeing a fair amount of amber...I'm going to let them go another week....

SHIT!! :)

thanks for the motivation....... all that hard work of your's is paying off

thanks for the motivation....... all that hard work of your's is paying off

Thanks buddy..welcome!

Love your patience here GF. It will definitely pay off in the long run. Great work here man.

Well...looks like I'm going to need a little more patience. I'm week to week right now as it appears!!

Thanks for the kind words bro...you're grow looks so awesome!!

Day 103 - Flowering Day 56

Well guys and dolls.....looks like you're stuck with me for at least another week. :)

I really want to harvest all at the same time so I can use my box to dry and store the curing jars.

I thought I'd be harvesting today but alas, that is not the case! Baby is lagging behind Dorothy in the amber trich's department.

For me, I'm not see many "cloudy" trich's. I'm seeing mostly clear and amber. When I'm looking straight down on the head of the trich, it looks cloudy. So mine are seeming to go straight from clear to amber.

And only the heads are turning amber while the shank of the trich is still clearish...

Oh and I saw a purple trich today as well! Surprised the shit out of me. I thought it was cause it was on a purple leaf but it wasn't. It was like a purple vein going up to the top. Very cool! :thumb:

Dorothy is looks ready. She's got about 35% amber trichs. I figure I can wait another week while Baby amber's up some.

I watered today and trimmed some of the stressed leaves off. I've got to get rid of that bag of leaves!!

I plucked a small mid level bud from Baby to try. Anyone got any quick drying tips? I'd love one. I was thinking about getting a little tin foil and putting the bud on top of the light for the day...

The prevailing wisdom is that when you think they're ready, let them go another week. I think that's where I'm at. I'm sure Dorothy is ready..Baby, not so much!!

1 gallon of water each today and after I watered yesterday a half a piece, they still ran off the same amount as usual. Really drinking up the water and the buds are fattening up a lot.

Your thoughts are appreciated!!

Pics!

Day_103_-_1.jpg
Day_103_-_2.jpg
Day_103_-_3.jpg
Day_103_-_4.jpg
Day_103_-_5.jpg

Questions, comments??

Thanks for visiting!!

those buds are awesome, good job :)

Sweet Lord, those girls are getting swolen! :thumb:

Ya know honestly, If you asked me about two days ago if I thought those were ready I would've said, "Get to choppin'!" :) But thanks to Mr Krip and a bunch more research I'd say let them sit a while longer :thumb:

What I've gathered is ...Yes the trich coloring is important, but so is the size of the calyxes in the buds. Also the pistils should look like they have been sucked into the buds themselves.

Now, the info I found did vary a bit when it came to pistil colors, percentages of clear/cloudy/amber trichs and overall color of the buds (think fall colors or just less of a green tint). But the swelling and disappearing pistils was always brought up.

These are comparison pics from the original article and also in the link Mr Krip sent me:

Not Ready
sz4.jpg

Ready
sz5.jpg

This is the article that sent me searching for more, just on another site:) >Harvest Time! Or is it? | METAL GROW SOLID

Sorry for taking up a huge chunk of this page my man... and sorry if you've seen this already :)

Sweet Lord, those girls are getting swolen! :thumb:

Ya know honestly, If you asked me about two days ago if I thought those were ready I would've said, "Get to choppin'!" :) But thanks to Mr Krip and a bunch more research I'd say let them sit a while longer :thumb:

What I've gathered is ...Yes the trich coloring is important, but so is the size of the calyxes in the buds. Also the pistils should look like they have been sucked into the buds themselves.

Now, the info I found did vary a bit when it came to pistil colors, percentages of clear/cloudy/amber trichs and overall color of the buds (think fall colors or just less of a green tint). But the swelling and disappearing pistils was always brought up.

These are comparison pics from the original article and also in the link Mr Krip sent me:

Not Ready
sz4.jpg

Ready
sz5.jpg

This is the article that sent me searching for more, just on another site:) >Harvest Time! Or is it? | METAL GROW SOLID

Sorry for taking up a huge chunk of this page my man... and sorry if you've seen this already :)

You know, all I've read is about the trich's turning amber or not.. I've heard about the pistils turning color but not sucking back into the calyxes..

I'll read that article..thanks bro and btw..you're welcome to take as much space in my journal as you need...

Dimey...

I don't think the pistils actually retract per se just curl into the bud, die and fall off.

I do agree with the overall yellowing of the leaves and amber hue to the plant close to harvest. I noticed that all my leaves are beginning to yellow...awesome article bro..thank you!!

Dimey...

I don't think the pistils actually retract per se just curl into the bud, die and fall off.

I do agree with the overall yellowing of the leaves and amber hue to the plant close to harvest. I noticed that all my leaves are beginning to yellow...awesome article bro..thank you!!

Yeah, you're right. After I read what I typed I should have said it a little different :). They don't retract, just get swallowed up.

The leaves on your girls look right on cue. It's funny how the first part of the grow we want them to be green and lush, then worry when they're not. Then towards the end we want the yellowing so we know when to chop.

A big :thumb: for Mr Krip for sharing that with me so I could share that with you.

Thanks buddy..welcome!

Well...looks like I'm going to need a little more patience. I'm week to week right now as it appears!!

Thanks for the kind words bro...you're grow looks so awesome!!

Day 103 - Flowering Day 56

Well guys and dolls.....looks like you're stuck with me for at least another week. :)

I really want to harvest all at the same time so I can use my box to dry and store the curing jars.

I thought I'd be harvesting today but alas, that is not the case! Baby is lagging behind Dorothy in the amber trich's department.

For me, I'm not see many "cloudy" trich's. I'm seeing mostly clear and amber. When I'm looking straight down on the head of the trich, it looks cloudy. So mine are seeming to go straight from clear to amber.

And only the heads are turning amber while the shank of the trich is still clearish...

Oh and I saw a purple trich today as well! Surprised the shit out of me. I thought it was cause it was on a purple leaf but it wasn't. It was like a purple vein going up to the top. Very cool! :thumb:

Dorothy is looks ready. She's got about 35% amber trichs. I figure I can wait another week while Baby amber's up some.

I watered today and trimmed some of the stressed leaves off. I've got to get rid of that bag of leaves!!

I plucked a small mid level bud from Baby to try. Anyone got any quick drying tips? I'd love one. I was thinking about getting a little tin foil and putting the bud on top of the light for the day...

The prevailing wisdom is that when you think they're ready, let them go another week. I think that's where I'm at. I'm sure Dorothy is ready..Baby, not so much!!

1 gallon of water each today and after I watered yesterday a half a piece, they still ran off the same amount as usual. Really drinking up the water and the buds are fattening up a lot.

Your thoughts are appreciated!!

Pics!

Day_103_-_1.jpg
Day_103_-_2.jpg
Day_103_-_3.jpg
Day_103_-_4.jpg
Day_103_-_5.jpg

Questions, comments??

Thanks for visiting!!

Hey GF my comment is they look awesome! :thumb:

I hope we can start a movement to get more growers to wait it out. They miss so much chopping early.

I'm sending you and dime pm's.

GF24, the girls look lovely and getting close. My girls are dried and curing, looking forward to your smoke report.

those buds are awesome, good job :)

naphtali5725 I meant to comment yesterday and forgot, but I also want to thank you for your service and your sacrifices. If I can ever help you in any way please let me know.

All of you vets, whether you served in times of war of peace have my utmost gratitude and respect.

Day 104 - Flowering day 57

Not much has changed since yesterday. The trich's are looking good and I'm safe saying I have no fucking idea when I'll harvest! :rofl:

The box looks good...everything is turning yellow as they have had no nutes for coming up on 3 weeks.

I'm good with that...I want to harvest these babies but won't until it's time...

Pic!!

Day_99_-_3.jpg

This pic is reused but I didn't want to leave you with nothing!!

Looks like my MOTM bid is running a strong second place!! :-( I'm being trounced by an awesome member Matanuska Valley!! Go Bro!!

I'll take second...to be nominated at all was awesome. Thanks again for all of your votes but I've run headlong into hurricane Matanuska!! :bravo:

Hey GF great idea on that screen and I would agree on the no newspaper thing. Black ink & buds don't mix. :)

Really great 1st grow man, thoroughly impressed with a lot of the new(er) members around here. Really a tribute to 420 and the great growers around, but more-so your dedication to studying up and doing things right..with patience.

:high-five:

Yeah, you're right. After I read what I typed I should have said it a little different :). They don't retract, just get swallowed up.

The leaves on your girls look right on cue. It's funny how the first part of the grow we want them to be green and lush, then worry when they're not. Then towards the end we want the yellowing so we know when to chop.

A big :thumb: for Mr Krip for sharing that with me so I could share that with you.

Hey guys!! I either missed that post or am too high to find it, but do you think you could pass the liknk to that article on to me? I'd be interested in reading up on that for sure...Thanks in advance...

Back
Top Bottom