Sulfur Burner assistance needed

Dartfx

Hello ladies and gents, I literally just signed up to the forum. Been stalking the forum for long time as a guest though hehe.

Anyways, I've ran into a PM problem late at the end of my last grow. I eliminated the source of the problem, it was coming from a broken faucet upstairs leaking onto my basement. However, all my new girls are still contaminated and I will like to use a sulfur burner because everything else failed me last grow. Now, there might be a small problem with using a sulfur burner in my grow room and that is where I turn to you guys.

I have my magnetic ballasts screwed onto the bottom of the stairs leading to my basement. So they're inside the grow room.
If I use a sulfur burner, will it affect my magnetic ballast? Will it affect my bare bulbs?
I was going to remove the bulbs and the ballasts. Do I have to? Or are both things safe.

It won't effect the bulbs or ballasts. I've run sulfur plenty of times with bare bulbs and ballasts in the room with no problems. Cheers. :thumb:

It won't effect the bulbs or ballasts. I've run sulfur plenty of times with bare bulbs and ballasts in the room with no problems. Cheers. :thumb:

Thank you very much. How long and often do you burn for? I was planning on burning for 2 hours, I just don't know how often to burn. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much. How long and often do you burn for? I was planning on burning for 2 hours, I just don't know how often to burn. Any suggestions?

It depends on the effectiveness of your burner, the space of your room, and on what you're trying to combat. With pm, you'll probably only need to burn the sulfur once or twice.

With a 150 cubic yard room, I usually leave the sulfur on for at least a couple of hours. 4-5 at the most.

I've burned sulfur in my room everyday before and it stressed my pants out pretty severely, so I would wait several days in between applications.

It depends on the effectiveness of your burner, the space of your room, and on what you're trying to combat. With pm, you'll probably only need to burn the sulfur once or twice.

With a 150 cubic yard room, I usually leave the sulfur on for at least a couple of hours. 4-5 at the most.

I've burned sulfur in my room everyday before and it stressed my pants out pretty severely, so I would wait several days in between applications.

Thanks, I'm burning in a 22x9x8 basement. Decided to run the burner 4 hours, 2 times a week until week 2 of flowering.

That should do it. Make sure to keep the circulation fans going and turn and vent fans off. :thumb:

Yup, that sounds like a good plan. Be sure to do it with lights off, but I am sure you know that. Do not spray anything oil based on the plants if you burn sulfur. if you do, wash that off really well first.

I spray oil sprays and burn sulfur all at the same time - all the time. I've never seen any adverse affects except when I vaporized the sulfur for like 6 hours a day for 5 days in a row (I left the burner plugged into the timer). I've been hearing that warning ever since I bought my sulfur burner, but I'm not sure what it's based on.

Thanks for the replies guys, I burned about 3 days ago for 5 hours. So far it looks like its helping with the PM, I noticed the amount of PM on the stem is decreasing :D. I'll be burning tonight as well, lets see how it goes. I'll post back later with pics of the garden :).

Ok what exactly is a sulfur burner and why do you use them? Is it just to get rid of PM or are there other applications for it?

Ok what exactly is a sulfur burner and why do you use them? Is it just to get rid of PM or are there other applications for it?

It a very simple device that heats up a small bowl that you fill with sulfur pellets. When it heats up the pellets, they melt and combine with the oxygen in the air creating sulfur dioxide. The SO2 causes all kinds of problems for insects (sexual mutation, decreased activity, metabolic failure, ect) and it controls molds and mildews by cutting off their oxygen supply and forcing them to breath gas that's toxic to them.

Wow that sounds handy. Wouldn't that be dangerous to people tho? If so I would guess you would need a pretty good ventilation system right?

Wow that sounds handy. Wouldn't that be dangerous to people tho? If so I would guess you would need a pretty good ventilation system right?

Yes, it's toxic to mamals at strong enough concentrations. Causes lung irritation when inhaled and things like that. Only good way to do it in your house is to, both, leave the house while the sulfur is going and also to seal off the room that you're fogging from the rest of the house. I run a vent fan that is set to flush the room's air after the application is over, nothing complicated.

All that being said, I hate the hassle of burning sulfur in my house and would much prefer doing it in a separate garage or greenhouse.

Alot of our food gets exposed to sulfur gas in storage and transport (like for the purpose of keeping botrytis off grape bunches) and the EPA claims that the particulate that comes from the sulfur gas is not dangerous to ingest, but I still like to keep the gas away from my food and other things like toothbrushes, the bong, ect.

Back
Top Bottom