• I'm Already Bored With The Whole Story

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Make Him A Pro-Marijuana Poster Boy

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Its been mentioned that we the Cannabis community should support Phelps. Its also been said that any sponsors who might drop him should be boycotted. I have mixed feelings about this. So far his response has been the standard 'I'm sorry I was bad and I'll never do it again' routine. I say that if he won't speak out for us (marijuana users) then why speak for him?

I do think its possible to boycott sponsors who might drop him because of the belief that persecution/punishment for cannabis is wrong no matter who it is. Thats what I believe.

So personally I would support any boycotts but not Phelps at this point.

seems like phelp's statement is more a politic correct stance than his true feelings about bong hits. he still has an image to uphold, an image that will make him very rich so he probably wants to protect that more than taking a chance to make his mind known.
ill support the boycott most def, i dont really have any money to spend so i wont buy anything and call it boycotting.

seems like phelp's statement is more a politic correct stance than his true feelings about bong hits. he still has an image to uphold, an image that will make him very rich so he probably wants to protect that more than taking a chance to make his mind known.
ill support the boycott most def, i dont really have any money to spend so i wont buy anything and call it boycotting.
i'm an idealist, i believe in truth and honor.

truth=freedom

he needs to think of the long range implications of this in ways other than his personal bank account. there are people who suffer needlessly by illness, incarceration etc.

could i make such a sacrifice? maybe not, but i like to think i would. how much is relieving suffering worth?

You are an idealist? Are you sure you know what that is? It has nothing to do with truth and honor. Just telling you, no trouble. What your saying is almost from another world though that Phelps shouldn't apologize for engaging in illegal activity publicly. It's only a public thing he had to announce for the best of him and his family.

He's making all this money in endorsements. He's supposed to throw it all away? For what?

If you had to go to court for weed and faced say 3 years. Your lawyer tells you no matter what, if you apologize and say it was dumb you'll get off with 1 year and a lesser charge. You wouldn't do it? Truth and Honor? Nope, foolish.

I'm a dualist, I see it from every spectrum. Cheers

I agree, I would support a boycott but not phelps (he's not sticking up for us!)

I don't want to have to make point after point but, why does he need to stick up for you? Stand up on your own 2 legs and fight, what are you doing to better the cause?
What some of you seriously need to stop and think about, is WHO IS MICHAEL PHELPS?
Michael Phelps is really a Joe Nobody, if it weren't for this he would be getting no coverage right now. The Summer Olympics are every 4 years, that's when people care for Michael Phelps. Right now, no one cares about him or what he has to say, he's not like Peyton Manning or Lebron James, he's Michael Phelps. If you don't know the difference you have to figure it out, I follow sports year round, there is no talk about Michael Phelps other than the olympics. Do you get it yet?
You want him to come out publicly and say something like "I was smoking weed, because that's what I like to do and it should be legalized." What do you expect this to do to help you or us?

I just wonder what "friend" published his photo, and why the media keeps sensationalizing his story.Other than to make $$) But I am a private person and don't think its any body's business what he is doing at the present time. He didn't do this before swimming the events which is why he got the deals.. So the press and critics should get off his buns.
Just my opinion in the USA Just like yours

You are an idealist? Are you sure you know what that is? It has nothing to do with truth and honor. Just telling you, no trouble. What your saying is almost from another world though that Phelps shouldn't apologize for engaging in illegal activity publicly. It's only a public thing he had to announce for the best of him and his family.

He's making all this money in endorsements. He's supposed to throw it all away? For what?

If you had to go to court for weed and faced say 3 years. Your lawyer tells you no matter what, if you apologize and say it was dumb you'll get off with 1 year and a lesser charge. You wouldn't do it? Truth and Honor? Nope, foolish.

I'm a dualist, I see it from every spectrum. Cheers

a person who cherishes or pursues high or noble principles, purposes, goals, etc.
a visionary or impractical person.
a person who represents things as they might or should be rather than as they are.

yep, i'll stick with that definition.

you betcha i'd lie to the court in just an ordinary pot case. but if what i said would have a large positive impact for the movement i hope i'd have the balls to do the right thing. there are many people who choose to do the right thing rather than give in. it happens every day.

Some people who use cannabis could care less about the cause for legalization. Getting high and staying out of trouble seem to be his only objectives. If he were really supportive of our cause he would have made it known then and there.

"It was bad and I'm sorry" remains the same old song and has little impact on the cause for cannabis law reform, so I stand completly neutral on the subject of supporting him (or not) and his sponsors. :peace:

I agree, I would support a boycott but not phelps (he's not sticking up for us!)

WTF, the guy just stuck his neck out. You have to support him. Its not like he's a bad apple. Its guys like Phelps that will cause government to look a little more closer at legalization. Grow up dude:peace:

Yea he probably isnt a pot head because of his career and just smoking at a party with friends for a good time.
If you had the option to flush millions down the toilet would u do it? I wouldn't! So I don't blame him for trying to keep his millions..

I know that it is illegal and all but Phelps is just like all of us, he has been working his ass off for the olympics and he just wants to relax for a second. I don't think that his sponsors should make a big deal about it, I would bet money that a lot more athletes that they sponsor smoke weed too, they just dont get pictures taken of them lol

Yes a lot more athletes that are sponsored smoke bud too and they know that.
They don't let pictures get out of them smoking it though.

User, Who do you think Michael Phelps is???? Michael Phelps is only around for a couple months every 4 years. What are you not understanding??? This is not Denzel Washington, it's not Peyton Manning. It's Michael Phelps, give me a break! He's doing enough by letting people know he smokes, I don't know how important you think this guy is but you obviously have no idea that he is nobody till every 4 years, when he swims. Do you know how many politicians and people with power have stood up for marijuana and people don't listen. They're all going to listen to Michael Phelps huh?
That's crazy talk and your definition of an idealist is wrong. An idealist is someone who only thinks that they're mind and ideas is reality. That everything else is a product of our imagination. Are you sure your an idealist??

I just wonder what "friend" published his photo, and why the media keeps sensationalizing his story.Other than to make $$) But I am a private person and don't think its any body's business what he is doing at the present time. He didn't do this before swimming the events which is why he got the deals.. So the press and critics should get off his buns.
Just my opinion in the USA Just like yours

~Ditto to that~

Yes a lot more athletes that are sponsored smoke bud too and they know that.
They don't let pictures get out of them smoking it though.

User, Who do you think Michael Phelps is???? Michael Phelps is only around for a couple months every 4 years. What are you not understanding??? This is not Denzel Washington, it's not Peyton Manning. It's Michael Phelps, give me a break! He's doing enough by letting people know he smokes, I don't know how important you think this guy is but you obviously have no idea that he is nobody till every 4 years, when he swims. Do you know how many politicians and people with power have stood up for marijuana and people don't listen. They're all going to listen to Michael Phelps huh?
That's crazy talk and your definition of an idealist is wrong. An idealist is someone who only thinks that they're mind and ideas is reality. That everything else is a product of our imagination. Are you sure your an idealist??

i think he is just a regular person like anyone else
i think he is an athlete who can swim faster than anyone else got caught smoking weed
i think i need to post these stories because they are of interest to many people
i could care less about this story on a personal level but if i'm gonna post updates to it and if i'm going to be reading everyone elses opinions about it, i'm going to post mine :cool:

do i know about all the other things you mentioned? i might have a clue since i spend hours on a daily basis searching through hundereds of mj articles to find many of the articles you see here.

i'm not the one making a big deal. i'll be glad when this goes away. it makes searching for real news more difficult.

this is the definition given at dictionary.com:
a person who cherishes or pursues high or noble principles, purposes, goals, etc.
a visionary or impractical person.
a person who represents things as they might or should be rather than as they are.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:
an adherent of a philosophical theory of idealism b: an artist or author who advocates or practices idealism in art or writing
one guided by ideals ; especially : one that places ideals before practical considerations

i'm also a dreamer

i don't see a reason for us to continue debating the meaning of idealisim. plus i'm so bored with this whole phelps thing.
:bong:

Phelps is facing criminal charges. Should we not support him in apologizing to possibly avoid prosecution. Your not going to support him? Well you are probably worse for the cause then he would be or anyone else.
I'm not speaking to anyone particular there, just ones who aren't supporting Phelps.

How does one 'support' him?
do we put stickers on our cars like the yellow ribbons for the troops
do we say to people 'i support phelps'
gee those are meaningful

or is it his statements that we support?

maybe i could add 'pot smoking is inappropriate' to my sig

geez, i'm not against him.

Yes, you support him in his actions and what he does. I support him for apologizing and doing what he needs to do to avoid prosecution. I don't care if he said weed was the devil, I support him, I don't agree with what he said but I understand why he said it.

I would support 420's boycott, but not phelps........oh i was young and made a mistake...hes not 16 hes 22. I agree if he would not stand up for us why stand up for him. He did not say I know that it is illegal and I should not have broken the law , but I do not belive that it is a good law.
I can also see where kellogs is coming from they are selling a family product that 75% of is consumed by children. He is not a spokes person for budwiser or odweeds.
Also when you go to the olimpics you are saying basicaly I know that I am going to be expected to be a role model but it is worth x millions of dollars to me. So then you have to smoke your :roorrip: :bong: :grinjoint: ;) :rollit: in private like smart people who are famous and do not want the scutiny.
sorry for the rant

Back
Top Bottom