Sure to Grow - STG Cubes?

why dont you just spray with peroxide and cover them up so no light hits them? I am concerned wih the depth though...I wouldnt use hydroton to fill it up..kinda defeats the purpose of having them. I would double stack the inserts (pricy) and the height will be perfect. then cover them . problem solved.
I considered using these but I forsaw these issues already. I think they are great but it would cost me alot to double stack 20 pots.

Excellent solution!!! Don't want to "mess" with the other stuff you've been helping me with, and why inject an additive to the whole grow when I can just attack the tops of the inserts by spraying! You Rock Pit.

Stinkfinger, You can buy copper sulphate on ebay. The cost is $8.00 per pound including shipping and that one pound will last, the average indoor gardener, about 50 years or so. In large scale agriculture operations they use 3lbs per acre. Its cheap and it works great. As far as the STG cubes, the only problem I have with them is the algae growing on top. However, this is cured with neoprene inserts for hydroponic net pots and hydroton or perlite on top for soil pots, preferably hydroton because of the weight when watering.

Thanks Builder! Please see my new pics below for what seems to be a decent solution with the inserts.

Thats a good point - do what we do (with rockwool/netpot) and use some black trash bags or any thick black plastic will do and just make covers so light does not reach the tops of the cubes. I see algaecide in grow shops but I didn't think about the fact that it is most likely for ornamentals.

420, another great idea! I know they make net pot covers, but couldn't find one big enough to fit the 8" of the CAP system. Didn't even think to use a decent mil thickness garbage bag to cover!!

I'm still waiting on the delivery of the hydro peroxide, but in the meantime I decided to get these inserts lifted as suggested. Here's the before and after pictures.

Before (notice the depth of the insert McBudz pointed out)
MJ_342_1a.jpg

And here's the insert with the S-Hooks
MJ_404_1a.jpg

Thanks again guys for all the collective brain power!

S.F.

I have used the 1 1/2 cubes and then placed them in the 3" cups. NO complaints here! No mess no dirt no measuring. My first attempt and I am doing BP. At the beginning the problem was caused by myself anf not by the cubes. I didnt push the seed down far enough into it. There actually is a small slit in the center of the cube. Almost messed the whole thing up but gently snuggled them all in place and now have some serious stalks after only 36 days. Hope it helps

Actually more like a 1 gallon. :) The CAP buckets are 2 gallon buckets.

The STG medium I've got here when new was:

Code:
CAP EBB&GROW, TOP DRIP AND SIMILIAR SYSTEMS
STGI-8 	CYLINDER 	10" X 9"

They filled up the entire CAP bucket when they were new.

I presume by not having them anchored to the sides with the S-Hooks, allowed the water on top to "compress" the inserts.

I'm still waiting on the peroxide shipment, but already by hanging these up to the sides of the buckets, the algae has already dissipated some. Also I noted when I raised these inserts that the algae seems to be relegated to the tops only; it doesn't look like it spread (which I assume is a good thing).

Thanks again guys!

S.F

"allowed the water to compress the inserts"

Exactly. Mine did the same thing. I simply used the excess from inside the cups. And also ripped some of my squares apart and placed pieces against the stalks as they got larger for support. Worked perfectly. They also sell STG loose and it is awesome.

I was given a free slab of those cotton cubes to try out from my hydro store some time back and was not happy at all with them. I just found them hard to work with having too many fibers getting in the way causing damage to the delicate fresh cut stem when I inserted the cutting into the cube. The example and above pics are the first time I've heard of somebody having success with the product. Good job guys!
As for the algae problems above, another chemical free remedy would be to use root guards to simply block the light from getting to the cubes. I know it would be difficult with those little squatty bushes to fit one on properly but if those plants veg for another week or two, you can snip the lower branches to fit it on on over the cube. As long as it does'nt float up and down, a root guard should work.

I think that they need some mods.....exra media...s hooks...hydroton...something.

Hey Pit. I'm feeling you.
(I guess I did stray a little from ya). Primarily the reason for not using Hydroton was because of my back. After working a little bit with HT with the Ecogrower, I didn't think I could do it with 12 buckets, setup and cleanup.

I also didn't think this would turn into a grow journal, but a guess a little explanation of the development of the plants is in order.

As I think I've stated, I'm totally "green" with growing, never done it and kill most house plants. So, these actually were in a flowering light cycle the first two weeks. I THINK this is why they are so bushy at this point. Since turning them over to 24/0 most of this new growth is noticeable and they definitely appear to be moving upwards.

Here's a pic from this morning (02/12/10).

Also, thanks to someone (tips hat to Pit), I seem to have passed the nute deficiency that you may see in the leaves (yellow). All new development looks lush and green!

Anyway, still waiting on the h2o2 (you'd think it's coming from China, this length of time).

I guess the next real "test" will be to see if the Sure to Grow can support the weight of the plants as they develop.

Thanks guys.
SF

I was given a free slab of those cotton cubes to try out from my hydro store some time back and was not happy at all with them. I just found them hard to work with having too many fibers getting in the way causing damage to the delicate fresh cut stem when I inserted the cutting into the cube. The example and above pics are the first time I've heard of somebody having success with the product. Good job guys!
As for the algae problems above, another chemical free remedy would be to use root guards to simply block the light from getting to the cubes. I know it would be difficult with those little squatty bushes to fit one on properly but if those plants veg for another week or two, you can snip the lower branches to fit it on on over the cube. As long as it does'nt float up and down, a root guard should work.

Thanks Orangeblood. I've got one clone in this batch that I was experimenting with, since I've never pulled a clone before, but it was really easy with the STG, I basically just followed this video.

YouTube - Growing cuttings and seeds with Sure To Grow's media

Thanks for the suggesting about blocking the light.

SF

Quick update.

Algae has dissipated. H2O2 arrived this week. I haven't applied, don't know if I will. Plants are loving life!

In addition to setting up the S-hooks discussed in a previous posting, I went ahead this week and added 1.50" PVC couplers between the buckets (about $.30 each at home depot, about $4.00 total), You could cut your own from PVC, but I've got two left thumbs. I placed a couple arrows below on the picture so you can see that it has raised the internal bucket about an Inch and a half. Supposed to give some room for the roots.

MJ_493_1.jpg

Quick update.

Algae has dissipated. H2O2 arrived this week. I haven't applied, don't know if I will. Plants are loving life!

In addition to setting up the S-hooks discussed in a previous posting, I went ahead this week and added 1.50" PVC couplers between the buckets (about $.30 each at home depot, about $4.00 total), You could cut your own from PVC, but I've got two left thumbs. I placed a couple arrows below on the picture so you can see that it has raised the internal bucket about an Inch and a half. Supposed to give some room for the roots.

MJ_493_1.jpg

damn they look great!!!

I also forgot(that short term memory thing you know lol) that I would be hesitant to use the H2O2. It can cause a chelating effect on roots, plant material and skin.:ganjamon::ganjamon::ganjamon::ganjamon:

Thanks man! Yeah, No h2o2. Too far along to "experiment".

damn they look great!!!

Thanks Pit! A great teacher helps!

SF

Hey Guys.

Yeah, you can call me a picture wh*re. I definitely subscribe to the theory that a picture's worth a thousand words.

Just wanted to "show off" what's going on with the ladies. And actually I know it has only been three days since the last update, but two days ago, I added CO2 to the room, and anybody that says it doesn't make a difference, I would have to disagree. Again, I think these pics speak volumes.

Three Days Ago
MJ_493_1.jpg

Today's Pic
MJ_531_1.jpg

Should probably start a journal, but don't know if I have the discipline to keep up with it.

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to see how the inserts do with any type of weight. I'll let you know if I decide to try those plant stakes. Time will tell.

SF

Hey Guys.

So I did take the plunge and decided to start a journal. STG is going strong!

1st Grow - Ebb-N-Grow : Afghan Kush, White Widow, Bag Seed!

I'll come back here at the end of the grow and post final results (for future readers), but thought I might throw the journal out there if you'd like current details (and failures).

Thanks All!
SF

Back
Top Bottom