SweetSue's Class Notes

I’m reading through Uwe Blesching’s “The Cannabis Health Index,” reading up on integrated medicine. He lists the four basic approaches:
  1. Psychiatry
  2. Psychology
  3. Transpersonal psychology
  4. Shamanism

The shamanic approach Uwe focuses on here is the use of a plant ally (i.e. Cannabis sativa) to ”find and make conscious that which is in the way of healing and to explore ways of replacing it with what supports health and well-being.”

In other words, cannabis helps you focus more on healing than on how sick or in pain you are.

Made me smile to read this part. Cajun was my shaman. I was his triage nurse. :laughtwo: Ahhh.... Mon ami..... what did you start? :green_heart:

Cannabis Conversations with Martin Lee (Project CBD) Dr. Bonni Goldstein on new developments in cannabis medicines

In the past year or so Dr. Goldstein has begun successfully using CBG for depression and anxiety with patients that have found little relief with either CBD or THC.
  • pediatric patients

5:05 She also has autistic patients showing marked improvement with CBG
  • They did polling with a non-profit and found that the top benefit reported by patients was a drop in anxiety with CBG.
THCa - Benefits:
  • -low dose works
  • non-intoxicating, so can be used for daytime meds

THCa is useful in her practice for
  • anti-cancer
  • anti-nausea (to reduce nausea from chemo and related polypharmacy)
Cannabinoid acids are structured in a way that allows them to be classified as acids.
  • They aren’t acids that’ll burn you. It’s just a molecular structural thing.
    • decarb transforms them into more familiar neutral cannabinoids
All cannabinoids are beneficial and have overlapping and redundant benefits
  • THC, CBD, and CBG are all anti-anxiety
  • THCa, THC, and CBD are all anti-nausea
    • Clinical data shows THC works best
Different cannabinoids activate its stimulate different cellular structures
  • There’s overlap and redundancy
  • You also have to contend with the individual nature of human response to cannabis therapies.
Dr. Goldstein is seeing CBDa and THCa being therapeutically effective for inflammatory response
  • lower doses possible
  • no intoxication to deal with, so they can be used daily
Worth mentioning to prospective patients: THC is intoxicating, but THCa isn’t.

Dr. Goldstein has a saying in her practice:

”Rule it in or rule it out”

She alerts patients still dealing with unresolved issues to advances in cannabinoid knowledge so they can experiment.
  • You can’t diagnose and then prescribe a precise cannabis regimen.
    • You experiment to see if it meets your particular chemical-biological needs.
    • It’s the patient’s response that determines where you go and how you’ll dose.
11:44 Case study - Minimal dose effectiveness:
  • Pediatric patient treated with autism
  • In advance of seeing Dr. Goldstein mother started child on 4-5 mg /day of CBD oil
  • Within one week patient’s teacher asked parent what she was doing that was making such a significant difference in this child’s behavior.
  • Another autistic patient of same age and size requires 400 mg of CBD/day

Change is on a cellular level, near impossible to track at that level
  • changes in neurotransmitters
  • you can’t determine dose by patient weight or disease state being treated
  • Every case is a new start.
You won’t know if cannabis will work for you unless you try.

You won’t know if different cannabinoids might be the right ones for you unless you try.

She often sees stunning results in her practice.

Case Study: Teenage girl with advanced bone cancer, spread to a massive tumor in the lungs
  • inoperable at the stage she arrived, with massive, unsightly tumors on her legs
  • on oxygen and in wheelchair at first visit
  • Dr. Goldstein put her on a blended therapy with chemo, THC, CBD, and CBG (for bone stimulation as well as other benefits)
  • Although Dr. Goldstein started with aggressive regimen, father took it to a more aggressive level with oils.
  • Six months into treatment:
    • tumors on legs show no cancer, and are just necrotic cells awaiting the body to clean up the clutter
    • lung tumor has shrunken by 85%
    • PET scan doesn’t light up at all anymore with signs of cancer
    • out of the wheelchair
    • no more need for oxygen supplementation
    • returning to school in Sept of this year
    • traveling again to visit friends and family
With cannabis therapies it doesn't have to be an either/or choice.
  • To choose one or the other often limits your healing potential.
  • Hang part of your hat on science.
  • We have science showing a synergy between cannabis and some chemo drugs
    • killing cancer cells
    • mitigating awful side effects of the toxic chemo drugs

GW Pharma (I’m assuming it’s GW Pharma) is running tests on using a synergistic THC and CBD mix with chemo showing affinity with Glioblastoma multiformi
  • This form is best-case, 15 months from diagnosis
  • After one year they reported
    • 55% of patients on chemo alone were still alive
    • 85% of patients with cannabis/chemo are still alive
  • They haven’t published yet, and Dr. Goldstein speculates that it’s because the patients are doing so much better than expected.
  • Patients with cannabis are having improved quality of life as well, using less chemo drugs to get better results.
With new pediatric patients Dr. Goldstein
  • respects the medicines they’re already on
  • makes sure there will be no drug interactions that would be contraindicated.

19:33 This week she had a leukemia patient tell her the oncologist had recommended they discontinue CBD because we don’t know the long-term side effects
  • We do know the long-term effects of chemo on pediatric patients
    • 60-75% that survive cancer are left with significant physical problems they’ll have for the rest of their lives.
    • Cannabis can change that
    • Her patients that survive cancer eventually get away from chemo and maintain on cannabis alone
      • better quality of life
      • Shes unconcerned with neurocognitive damages that aren’t showing up
      • organ damage doesn’t occur with cannabis therapies and chemo

Source

from Clinical And Experimental Rheumatology

Adding medical cannabis to standard analgesic treatment for fibromyalgia: a prospective observational study
V. Giorgi, S. Bongiovanni, F. Atzeni, D. Marotto, F. Salaffi, P. Sarzi-Puttini

Abstract

OBJECTIVES:

To assess any clinical improvement attributable to the addition of medical cannabis treatment (MCT) to the stable (>3 months) standard analgesic treatment of fibromyalgia (FM) patients, the retention rate and any changes in the concomitant analgesic treatment over a period of six months.

METHODS:
The study involved 102 consecutive FM patients with VAS scores ≥4 despite standard analgesic treatment. Patients were prescribed two oil-diluted cannabis extracts: Bedrocan (22% THC, <1% CBD), and Bediol (6.3% THC, 8% CBD). FM severity was periodically assessed using Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQR), Fibromyalgia Assessment Scale (FAS), FACIT-Fatigue score, Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI), and Zung Depression and Anxiety Scales. During the study, patients were allowed to reduce or stop their concomitant analgesic therapy.

RESULTS:
The 6-month retention rate was 64%. A significant improvement in the PSQI and FIQR was observed in respectively 44% and 33% of patients. 50% showed a moderate improvement in the anxiety and depression scales. Multiple regression analysis showed a correlation between the body mass index (BMI) and FIQR improvement (p=0.017). Concomitant analgesic treatment was reduced or suspended in 47% of the patients. One-third experienced mild adverse events, which did not cause any significant treatment modifications.

CONCLUSIONS:
This observational study shows that adjunctive MCT offers a possible clinical advantage in FM patients, especially in those with sleep dysfunctions. The clinical improvement inversely correlated with BMI. The retention rate and changes in concomitant analgesic therapy reflect MCT efficacy of the improved quality of life of patients. Further studies are needed to confirm these data, identify MCT-responsive sub-groups of FM patients, and establish the most appropriate posology and duration of the therapy.

PMID: 32116208 [PubMed]

Received: 19/09/2019 - Accepted : 09/12/2019 - In Press: 05/02/2020 - Published: 21/02/2020

My Notes from Project CBD’s report on the study:

Italian study began with 120 fibromyalgia patients

Two olive oil tinctures, self-titration
  • THC-rich
  • Balanced CBD:THC, with slightly more CBD
The patients had freedom to use different formulations suited to personal sensitivities and circadian rhythms

Recommended doses:
  • 2 doses a day, morning and evening
  • 10 - 30 drops per dose (patient sets dose levels)
  • balanced dose in AM
  • THC dose in evening
Dose values would have been around
  • Low dose ~ 4 mg THC and 2 mg CBD per day, divided into 2 doses
  • High dose ~ 27 mg THC and 8 mg CBD per day, divided into 2 doses
  • most of THC taken at night
Heavier patients responded better than thin patients
  • This finding has consistently shown up in other studies of cannabis therapies.
  • There’s speculation that the extra fat = better absorption.
Results:
  • 1/3 showed clinically significant improvements in
    • sleep
    • fibromyalgia symptoms
  • 1/2 saw reductions in anxiety and depression
    • 80% of fibromyalgia patients suffer with anxiety or depression
  • 1/2 had a reduction in pharmaceutical pain drugs
  • 21% were able to discontinue pain meds
Researchers found cannabis to be a better alternative to conventional pain treatment for fibromyalgia
  • Non-addictive nature was most attractive
  • No withdrawal syndrome added to attractiveness
The only concern was the possibility of future tolerance problems
  • Controllable with low-dose protocols

So the unmyelinated C fibers is what we are targeting at the MDR (correct Amy!), and that targets the specific types of pain in 1 and 2 below:

Burning and Aching Pain....how do headaches, and in particular migraines benefit from this pathway then? I wouldn’t classify them as either burning or aching... My sense is the headache relief has more to do with the relaxation of surrounding structures that were possibly constricting blood flow. At least that’s how I always reasoned it. There’s so much going on with a migraine they still aren’t sure how to explain them.

And we can’t deny there’s a mood-altering effect with MDR application. If you’re frustrated or feeling stressed and apply to the MDR it soothes that energy. I’ve felt it myself, and had others tell me they have also. I can see how to a sensitive patient somewhat fearful of the buzz that could be an unpleasant surprise. In my head the solution to that is get beyond the fear of the buzz, but I understand not everyone is me. :laughtwo:

InTheShed said:
400mg is a really really high amount of CBD! And the chart seemed to indicate very little difference between subjective effects of THC vs THC/low CBD. I would call is statistically insignificant, particularly since it was subjectively measured.

When I first looked at the study my thought was that a dose that high isnt at all common in clinical practice, that I’ve seen evidence of at least. I’d have liked to see what a balanced dose did.

And we can’t deny there’s a mood-altering effect with MDR application.
I'd like to deny it. I get no mood alteration from topical application of high THC oil anywhere on my body. No sense of calm and sometimes not much relief from my headaches.

I attribute that to the fact that the headache is higher than the MDR, so none of the affected nerves run through that region.

I'd like to deny it. I get no mood alteration from topical application of high THC oil anywhere on my body. No sense of calm and sometimes not much relief from my headaches.

I attribute that to the fact that the headache is higher than the MDR, so none of the affected nerves run through that region.

And yet.... it could be nothing more than the placebo effect, but I’ve watched it happen with my own eyes and felt it myself. Curious. :hmmmm: Cannabis refuses to be pigeonholed.

The Physics Of Emotion

View media item 1758722The prefrontal cortex is responsible for complex, evaluative decisions. This part of the brain is loaded with opiate receptors – so structurally, our most sophisticated reasoning is linked to bliss.

The “bliss response” is closely connected to Pert’s original work on the opiate receptor. Just as the receptors for other neuropeptides trigger a cellular response, opiate receptors pick up the presence of a neurotransmitter for euphoria. The naturally occurring “bliss chemicals” are called endorphins, and they are released in the brain and body in response to emotional states and to physical activities (including exercise and nursing).

Pert says the way endorphins work is evidence of bliss as an evolutionary necessity. “That’s why endorphins are such highly conserved molecules. It’s the same in simple one-celled creatures and in humans. In the new book I talk about the evolution of the opiate receptor and how it’s in our frontal cortex, the most advanced part of our brains.”

“It’s like we’re designed to make choices around pleasure. The very highest, most intelligent part of our brain is drenched in receptors to make us use pleasure as a criterion for our decisions. So it’s okay to feel good – God is good.”

While it’s clear that the “bliss receptors” are centered in the prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain that makes evaluative and complex decisions, there isn’t a clear reason.

“Scientists can never ask why. They can only ask ‘what’ and ‘how.’ But we know that the vibration in these receptors mediates, or leads, to the whole organism feeling bliss. And then I talk in the book about how that endorphin vibration is really the bliss of union and divine union.”

So when we create that kind of resonance internally, we are in line with that divine self. True bliss represents an optimal state of functioning. “This state is the natural function, but our society interferes. You don’t have to teach this to native peoples. Most of us have lost touch with that reality. Most of us seem to be locked in a grim struggle constantly rushing off to the next thing. So while it may be natural to be in bliss, we have to learn again to feel our natural state of bliss, to feel the spiritual nature of everything around us, every moment. This doesn’t have to do with church. It doesn’t have to do with whether you were bad or good. It’s about feeling good.”

The Research of Candace Pert (Equilibrium - e3.com)

Words of Wisdom: Aim for Emotional Wholeness

Pert concludes her book with the following simple recommendations, gleaned from all the scientific data she has included in describing the tenets of Psychoneuroimmunology and their implications for healing:

“Aim for emotional wholeness. When you’re upset or feeling sick, try to get to the bottom of your feelings. Figure out what’s really eating you. Always tell the truth to yourself. Find appropriate, satisfying ways to express your emotions. And if such a prescription seems too challenging, seek professional help to feel better."

"I believe the alternative or complementary therapies are a form of professional help much less likely to do harm and more likely to do good than conventional approaches. They work by shifting our natural balance of internal chemicals around, so we can feel as good as possible. They are often particularly helpful for alleviation of the many chronic maladies that currently have no good medical solutions.... ..."

"Last but definitely not least, health is much more than the absence of illness. Live in an unselfish way that promotes a state of spiritual bliss that truly helps to prevent illness. Wellness is trusting in the ability and desire of your bodymind to heal and improve itself, if given half a chance. Take responsibility for your own health—and illness.”

In other words, live in joy and allow yourself to express your emotions without beating up on yourself.

I have yet to find evidence that she acknowledged the fact that it’s the ECS that is responsible for the signaling of all those molecules to be released or inhibited. When you take that into consideration the use of cannabis takes on a whole new meaning, doesn’t it?

How did a woman of her scientific stature miss this basic biological function? It’s the ECS that modulates the opioid receptors too.

:hmmmm: Let me be look a little closer. Time to read up on those dimers. :laughtwo:

The chemicals your body produces that expand you, and how you feel under their influence:

Acetylcholine Here
  • In balance: aware
  • Out of balance:
    • Too little: cluttered
      • Insomnia
      • impaired creativity
      • dementia (Alzheimer’s)
    • Too much: anxious
      • anxiety
      • restlessness
      • heightened levels of fear
Anandamide Blissful
  • In balance: blissful
    • calm (lower bp)
    • capable
    • confident (more expectant of positive outcomes?)
    • congruent
    • social
  • Out of balance: sick
    • tense (high bp)
    • depressed
    • fearful
    • anxious
    • intimidated (judged)
Endogenous Opioids Free
  • In balance: free
    • pain-free
    • stress-free
    • aligned
    • belonging
    • hungry
    • euphoric
    • elated
  • Out of balance: stressed
    • hurting
    • isolated
    • hopeless
Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) Balanced
  • In balance: safe
    • relaxed
    • equanimity
  • Out of balance (low levels): fearful
    • irritable
    • anxious
    • panicked
    • lacking empathy (self-absorbed)
    • aggressive
    • expressing ADHD
    • antisocial
    • depressed
    • chasing after carbs
    • tired...... oh so tired

Oxytocin Loving
  • In balance: bonded
    • empathetic
    • generous
    • trusting
    • fearless
  • Out of balance: alone
    • autistic
    • low libido
    • eating out of balance
    • social anxiety disorders
    • schizophrenic
    • depressed

Serotonin Happy
  • In balance: happy
    • satisfied
    • happy
    • sensual
    • safe
    • optimistic
    • flexible
    • carefree
    • Out of balance:
      • Too little:
        • distracted
        • unfocused
        • impulsive
        • irritable
        • depressed
        • anxious
      • Too much is caused by medication overload of SSRIs
        • excessive nerve cell activity
        • serotonin reuptake syndrome (potentially deadly)

My body would appreciate some food fuel. Pick up here later.

Chemicals the body produces that constrict you and how you feel under their influence:

• Feel Good Chemicals: origins, health notes, methods to influence balance

Acetylcholine:
    Origin
    • Naturally occurring in autonomic nervous system (throughout)
    • The only neurotransmitter of voluntary nervous system
    Health notes:
    • Effect depends on location, i.e.
      • produces contraction of skeletal muscles
      • also inhibits contraction of cardiac muscle
    • Animal studies show a small dose of THC will increase acetylcholine in the brain.
      • Human trials haven’t proven that a large dose of THC will decrease acetylcholine in a human brain, despite speculation to that effect.
    Confirm this ^^^^^
    Increasing acetylcholine may
    • allow you to feel more creative
    • help you notice and appreciate the beauty and wonder of life
    • fuel your passion
    • enhance memory function
    • make it easier to learn
    • limit the chances of dementia becoming your experience
    Increasing or balancing acetylcholine
    • Play with new words, expanding your vocabulary
    • Meditate to find quiet moments for the brain to reset (better focus and concentration will result).
    • Practice joyful anticipation.
    • Play games that encourage memory (crossword puzzles, trivia, riddles, etc.).
    • Practice experiencing positive emotions, filling them with feeling.
    • Practice feeling an emotion foreign to your experience, just for fun.
    • Choose cannabis that influences the CB1 receptors, found primarily in the central nervous system.
      • THC more directly activates eCB1Rs
      • CBD influences eCB1Rs in allosteric (back door) ways, using both receptor and non-receptor pathways, but never directly acting as a ligand.
        • CBD will act as an antagonist at the CB1 receptor, blocking molecules
          • With THC, CBD appears to change the shape of the receptor in a way that keeps THC from getting a close enough contact to activate.
    Anandamide:
    Origins:
    • Produced from human cell membranes.
      • On site.
      • On demand.
    Health notes:
    • Human cell membranes have both CB1 and CB2.
    We know the brain can raise up CB2Rs during injury. Can we assume the same happens in the periphery?
    • An endocannabinoid and neurotransmitter.
    • THC is structurally similar enough to anandamide that it can affect the same signaling actions of the eCB.
      • At proper doses THC can produce similar therapeutic results.
    • No known ill effects.
    • We believe anandamide
      • reduces hypertension
      • softens depression
      • tamps down fear response
      • soothes anxiety
      • helps you feel more comfortable interacting with others
    • May be relevant in treatment of conditions like autism, that have social interaction issues to overcome.
    • Cortisol coursing through your bloodstream initiates release of anandamide.
      • This may explain why exercise makes things hurt less and while it makes you feel better overall.
    • THC reduces pain by inducing release of endogenous opioids dynorphin A and dynorphin B, respectively.
      • We don’t yet understand completely how anandamide reduces pain.
    • Anandamide inhibits movement of cancer cells
      • may prevent metastasis without compromising patient’s immune system
    • Anandamide inhibits norepinephrine, decreasing chances of
      • anxiety
      • restlessness
    Boosting and balancing anandamide availability
    • HIT, running, exercise that pushes the endurance limits.
    • Have meaningful social experiences.
    • Meditate.
    • Choose cannabis with a 1:1 balance of THC:CBD to influence both CB1 and CB2 receptors.
    Endogenous Opioids
    Origins:
    • Produced by CNS and pituitary
    • Both CNC and pituitary have CB1 receptors
    Health notes:
    • There are five groups
      • beta-endorphins
      • enkephalins
      • dynorphins
      • endomorphins
      • nociception
    • Endogenous opioids bind to opioid receptors
      • reduce stress
      • reduce pain perception
    • involved in formation of
      • emotions
      • interpersonal relationships
      • hunger
      • other feelings and physical states
    • No known potential ill-effects
    • endorphins
      • modulate pain
      • produce feelings of
        • euphoria
        • elation
    • THC reduces pain by inducing release of
      • dynorphin A
      • dynorphin B
    Boosting or balancing endorphins
    • strenuous exercise
    • pleasurable massage
    • a relaxing acupuncture session
    • sex
    • deep relaxation
      • with cannabis
      • any relaxation method that works for you
    • Choose cannabis that activates CB1 receptors
    Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)
    Origins:
    • Made in brain cells by glutamate
    • Brain cells express CB1 receptors
    Health notes:
    • The brain’s own Valium.
    • An amino acid
      • acts as an inhibitory neurotransmitter
      • functions as body’s “downer”
    • regulates
      • excitability of nerve cells
      • muscle tone
    • Influences speech and language
      • puts a pause in between our words
    • University of Boston study of yoga participants
      • measured significant increases in GABA following yoga
    • When GABA and glutamate are balanced
      • relaxation and excitement balance each other out
      • The balance of excitement and relaxation help balance GABA and glutamate.
      • This is why it’s important to find equanimity.
    • GABA inhibits fear signaling
    • The ECS has the dual capacity to simultaneously balance
      • upper effects (via cortical glutamate)
      • downer effects (via GABA)
    Boosting and balancing GABA availability
    • Yoga
    • Release toxic stress (method of your choice)
    • Consider calming with cannabis that activates CB1 receptors
    Oxytocin
    Origins:
    • Produced in hypothalamus
    • Stored in pituitary
    • Hypothalamus and pituitary both express CB1 receptors
    Health notes:
    • A hormone produced by both male and female.
    • Oxytocin is how women modulate stress.
    • In orthodox medicine oxytocin is used to
      • stop post-partum bleeding
      • to induce labor
    • This is the bonding hormone. (the “cuddle” molecule)
      • bonding
      • closeness
      • tenderness
      • intimacy
    • Increases
      • trust
      • generosity
    • Hugs are a healing force that cause oxytocin cascades.
    • You can also stimulate oxytocin with
      • warm relationships
      • sex
      • orgasms
    • Oxytocin stimulates release of endorphins
      • deep relaxation
      • emotional benefits
    • reduces high bp
      • protects women’s hearts
    • reduces cravings
      • can help prevent diabetes
      • can help modulate weight gain
      • controlling drug use
    • enhances wound healing
    • reduces pain perception
    • Intimacy increases endorphins
      • reducing inflammation
      • reducing oxidative stress
    • Intimacy rids body of pro-inflammatory hormones
      • better immunity
      • faster recovery
    • Most chronic degenerative disease is rooted in inflammation.
    • Oxytocin released by hugging
      • reduces fear
      • reduces anxiety
      • enhances trust development
    • May be implicated in ability to have an erection
      • suggests that male virility may be related to developing good relationships
    • Has a short shelf-life of only a few seconds in the bloodstream
      • suggests necessity of keeping a constant flow for health optimization
    • The ECS is involved in the production and release of oxytocin
      • Anandamide modulates oxytocin levels
      • CB1 receptors play key role in oxytocin’s ability to reduce pain
    Making “Vitamin O”
    • Hugs
    • Developing warm relationships
    • Sex
    • Orgasms
    • Experiencing
      • closeness
      • tenderness
      • intimacy
      • trust
      • generosity
    • Practice self-love
    • Choosing cannabis that activates CB1 receptors
    Serotonin
    Origins:
    • Made primarily in digestive tract
    • Gut contains mostly CB2 receptors
    Health notes:
    • Neurotransmitter
    • Especially abundant in gastrointestinal tract (over 80% is in gut)
    • Assists appetite regulation
    • Regulates bowel movements
    • Found to lesser degree in CNS, affecting
      • mood
      • sleep
      • memory
    • Also found in platelets
      • responsible for clotting (wound healing)
    • There’s a direct correlation between mood and serotonin levels
      • Good mood = increased serotonin
      • Bad mood = decreased levels
    • The ECS regulates both production and inhibition of serotonin
      • modulates, at least in part
        • depression
        • anxiety
    • Increases sense of well-being (“All is well.” “Everything always works out for me.”)
    Boosting and balancing serotonin availability:
    • Reduce stress
      • Chronic stress = less serotonin
    • Be happy
      • Set joy as the default.
      • Happiness follows fulfillment of personal needs
        • safety
        • security
        • pleasure
        • belonging
    • Get a massage.
    • Exercise. It increases serotonin
      • production
      • release
    • Get more sunshine
      • Vitamin D promotes serotonin production
    • Choose cannabis that activates CB2 receptors

It‘s frustrating to not be able to edit these long posts. WTH happened?

Notes from “Cannabis Health Index” by Uwe Blesching, Chapt 2, The Art and Science of Mind/Body Medicine, Pgh 39-48.

Feel Good Chemicals: origins, health notes, methods to influence balance

Acetylcholine:
Origin

• Naturally occurring in autonomic nervous system (throughout)
  • The only neurotransmitter of voluntary nervous system
  • Health notes:
    • Effect depends on location, i.e.
      • produces contraction of skeletal muscles
      • also inhibits contraction of cardiac muscle
    • Animal studies show a small dose of THC will increase acetylcholine in the brain.
      • Human trials haven’t proven that a large dose of THC will decrease acetylcholine in a human brain, despite speculation to that effect.
  • Confirm this ^^^^^
    Increasing acetylcholine may
    • allow you to feel more creative
    • help you notice and appreciate the beauty and wonder of life
    • fuel your passion
    • enhance memory function
    • make it easier to learn
    • limit the chances of dementia becoming your experience
Increasing or balancing acetylcholine
  • Play with new words, expanding your vocabulary
  • Meditate to find quiet moments for the brain to reset (better focus and concentration will result).
  • Practice joyful anticipation.
  • Play games that encourage memory (crossword puzzles, trivia, riddles, etc.).
  • Practice experiencing positive emotions, filling them with feeling.
  • Practice feeling an emotion foreign to your experience, just for fun.
  • Choose cannabis that influences the CB1receptors, found primarily in the central nervous system.
    • THC more directly activates eCB1Rs
    • CBDinfluences eCB1Rs in allosteric (back door) ways, using both receptor and non-receptor pathways, but never directly acting as a ligand.
      • CBDwill act as an antagonist at the CB1 receptor, blocking molecules
        • With THC, CBD appears to change the shape of the receptor in a way that keeps THC from getting a close enough contact to activate.
Anandamide:
Origins:

• Produced from human cell membranes.
    • On site.
    • On demand.
Health notes:
  • Human cell membranes have both CB1 and CB2.
We know the brain can raise up CB2Rs during injury. Can we assume the same happens in the periphery?
  • An endocannabinoid and neurotransmitter.
  • THC is structurally similar enough to anandamide that it can affect the same signaling actions of the eCB.
    • At proper doses THC can produce similar therapeutic results.
  • No known ill effects.
  • We believe anandamide
    • reduces hypertension
    • softens depression
    • tamps down fear response
    • soothes anxiety
    • helps you feel more comfortable interacting with others
  • May be relevant in treatment of conditions like autism, that have social interaction issues to overcome.
  • Cortisol coursing through your bloodstream initiates release of anandamide.
    • This may explain why exercise makes things hurt less and while it makes you feel better overall.
  • THC reduces pain by inducing release of endogenous opioids dynorphin A and dynorphin B, respectively.
    • We don’t yet understand completely how anandamide reduces pain.
  • Anandamide inhibits movement of cancer cells
    • may prevent metastasis without compromising patient’s immune system
  • Anandamide inhibits norepinephrine, decreasing chances of
    • anxiety
    • restlessness
Boosting and balancing anandamide availability
  • HIT, running, exercise that pushes the endurance limits.
  • Have meaningful social experiences.
  • Meditate.
  • Choose cannabis with a 1:1 balance of THC:CBD to influence both CB1 and CB2 receptors.

Endogenous Opioids
Origins:

• Produced by CNS and pituitary
  • Both CNC and pituitary have CB1 receptors
Health notes:
  • There are five groups
    • beta-endorphins
    • enkephalins
    • dynorphins
    • endomorphins
    • nociception
  • Endogenous opioids bind to opioid receptors
    • reduce stress
    • reduce pain perception
  • involved in formation of
    • emotions
    • interpersonal relationships
    • hunger
    • other feelings and physical states
  • No known potential ill-effects
  • endorphins
    • modulate pain
    • produce feelings of
      • euphoria
      • elation
  • THC reduces pain by inducing release of
    • dynorphin A
    • dynorphin B
Boosting or balancing endorphins
  • strenuous exercise
  • pleasurable massage
  • a relaxing acupuncture session
  • sex
  • deep relaxation
    • with cannabis
    • any relaxation method that works for you
  • Choose cannabis that activates CB1 receptors

Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)
Origins:

• Made in brain cells by glutamate
  • Brain cells express CB1 receptors
Health notes:
  • The brain’s own Valium.
  • An amino acid
    • acts as an inhibitory neurotransmitter
    • functions as body’s “downer”
  • regulates
    • excitability of nerve cells
    • muscle tone
  • Influences speech and language
    • puts a pause in between our words
  • University of Boston study of yoga participants
    • measured significant increases in GABA following yoga
  • When GABA and glutamate are balanced
    • relaxation and excitement balance each other out
    • The balance of excitement and relaxation help balance GABA and glutamate.
    • This is why it’s important to find equanimity.
  • GABA inhibits fear signaling
  • The ECS has the dual capacity to simultaneously balance
    • upper effects (via cortical glutamate)
    • downer effects (via GABA)
Boosting and balancing GABA availability
  • Yoga
  • Release toxic stress (method of your choice)
  • Consider calming with cannabis that activates CB1 receptors

Oxytocin
Origins:

• Produced in hypothalamus
  • Stored in pituitary
  • Hypothalamus and pituitary both express CB1 receptors
Health notes:
  • A hormone produced by both male and female.
  • Oxytocin is how women modulate stress.
  • In orthodox medicine oxytocin is used to
    • stop post-partum bleeding
    • to induce labor
  • This is the bonding hormone. (the “cuddle” molecule)
    • bonding
    • closeness
    • tenderness
    • intimacy
  • Increases
    • trust
    • generosity
  • Hugs are a healing force that cause oxytocin cascades.
  • You can also stimulate oxytocin with
    • warm relationships
    • sex
    • orgasms
  • Oxytocin stimulates release of endorphins
    • deep relaxation
    • emotional benefits
  • reduces high bp
    • protects women’s hearts
  • reduces cravings
    • can help prevent diabetes
    • can help modulate weight gain
    • controlling drug use
  • enhances wound healing
  • reduces pain perception
  • Intimacy increases endorphins
    • reducing inflammation
    • reducing oxidative stress
  • Intimacy rids body of pro-inflammatory hormones
    • better immunity
    • faster recovery
  • Most chronic degenerative disease is rooted in inflammation.
  • Oxytocin released by hugging
    • reduces fear
    • reduces anxiety
    • enhances trust development
  • May be implicated in ability to have an erection
    • suggests that male virility may be related to developing good relationships
  • Has a short shelf-life of only a few seconds in the bloodstream
    • suggests necessity of keeping a constant flow for health optimization
  • The ECS is involved in the production and release of oxytocin
    • Anandamide modulates oxytocin levels
    • CB1 receptors play key role in oxytocin’s ability to reduce pain
Making “Vitamin O”
  • Hugs
  • Developing warm relationships
  • Sex
  • Orgasms
  • Experiencing
    • closeness
    • tenderness
    • intimacy
    • trust
    • generosity
  • Practice self-love
  • Choosing cannabis that activates CB1 receptors

Serotonin
Origins:

• Made primarily in digestive tract
  • Gut contains mostly CB2 receptors
Health notes:
  • Neurotransmitter
  • Especially abundant in gastrointestinal tract (over 80% is in gut)
  • Assists appetite regulation
  • Regulates bowel movements
  • Found to lesser degree in CNS, affecting
    • mood
    • sleep
    • memory
  • Also found in platelets
    • responsible for clotting (wound healing)
  • There’s a direct correlation between mood and serotonin levels
    • Good mood = increased serotonin
    • Bad mood = decreased levels
  • The ECS regulates both production and inhibition of serotonin
    • modulates, at least in part
      • depression
      • anxiety
  • Increases sense of well-being (“All is well.” “Everything always works out for me.”)
Boosting and balancing serotonin availability:
  • Reduce stress
    • Chronic stress = less serotonin
  • Be happy
    • Set joy as the default.
    • Happiness follows fulfillment of personal needs
      • safety
      • security
      • pleasure
      • belonging
  • Get a massage.
  • Exercise. It increases serotonin
    • production
    • release
  • Get more sunshine
    • Vitamin D promotes serotonin production
  • Choose cannabis that activates CB2 receptors

Source: Science Daily.com

June 2, 2017

• "We found that THC at low doses reduced stress, while higher doses had the opposite effect, underscoring the importance of dose when it comes to THC and its effects."

Childs and her colleagues recruited
  • 42 healthy volunteers
  • 42 healthy volunteers

Participants were randomly divided into three groups:
  1. The low-dose group received a capsule containing 7.5 milligrams of THC;
  2. the moderate-dose group received a capsule containing 12.5 milligrams of THC;
  3. and a placebo group received a capsule containing none.
Neither the participants nor the researchers knew who was in each group.

"The doses used in the study produce effects that are equivalent to only a few puffs of a cannabis cigarette," said Childs, noting that
  • it is difficult to compare doses of smoked cannabis to doses of ingested THC.
  • "We didn't want to include a much larger dose, because we wanted to avoid potential adverse effects or cardiovascular effects that can result from higher doses of THC."

Participants attended two four-hour sessions at the University of Chicago,
five days apart.

At each session, they
  • took their capsule and
  • then relaxed for two hours to allow the THC to be absorbed into the bloodstream.

During one session, participants were asked to spend 10 minutes preparing for a mock job interview.
  • They were then subjected to a five-minute interview with lab assistants who
    • did not offer any feedback, verbally or through body language,
    • although video display was visible to the participant, showing their performance.
  • Participants were then instructed to
    • count backwards from a five-digit number
    • by subtracting 13, for five minutes -- a task that is "very reliably stress-inducing," Childs said.

In their second visit, participants were asked
  • to talk to lab assistants about a favorite book or movie for five minutes
  • and then play solitaire for another five minutes.

Before, during and after each of the two activities, participants
  • rated their stress levels
  • and feelings about the tasks.
measured at intervals

• Blood pressure,
  • heart rate,
  • and cortisol, a key stress hormone,

The participants who received 7.5 milligrams of THC reported
  • less stress after the psychosocial test than those given a placebo,
  • and their stress levels dissipated faster after the test.

Participants who received 12.5 milligrams of THC before the two tasks reported
  • greater negative mood before and throughout the task,
  • and were more likely to rate the psychosocial task as
    • "challenging" and
    • "threatening" beforehand.
  • Participants who received this dose also had more pauses during the mock interview compared to those in the placebo group.

There were no significant differences in participants'
  • blood pressure,
  • heart rate
  • or cortisol levels --
  • before, during or after the doses or the tasks.

"Our findings provide some support for the common claim that cannabis is used to reduce stress and relieve tension and anxiety," Childs said.

"At the same time, our finding that participants in the higher THC group
  • reported small but significant increases in
    • anxiety and
    • negative mood throughout the test
    • supports the idea that THC can also produce the opposite effect."
Is that idea really supported by this experiment?

"Studies like these -- examining the effects of cannabis and its pharmacological constituents under controlled conditions -- are extremely important, considering the widespread use of cannabis for both medical and non-medical purposes," she said.

"Unfortunately, significant regulatory obstacles make it extremely difficult to conduct this type of research --
  • with the result that cannabis is now widely available for medical purposes
  • with minimal scientific foundation."

Emma Childs, Joseph A. Lutz, Harriet de Wit. Dose-related effects of delta-9-THC on emotional responses to acute psychosocial stress. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2017; DOI: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2017.03.030

I’m reading that report over and thinking, “Yeah... if I’m nicely buzzed I don’t want to be doing your crazy games, I want to enjoy the buzz!” :rofl:

No one in their right mind goes to an interview or tries to do any math when high. :rofl:

Ahhhh..... this is the reference used to prove that high levels of cannabis raise your anxiety levels. I’m wondering how significant the differences in stress levels really were. :hmmmm: Those tasks would stress the hell out of me - a confident woman - if I went in cold, and my daughter wouldn’t be able to breathe from the word “Go!”

I’ll look deeper.

Source

Essential Amino Acids: Definition, Benefits and Food Sources
jillian-pic.png

Written by Jillian Kubala, MS, RD on June 12, 2018

Definition

Roles in Your Body

Sources and Intake

Amino acids, often referred to as the building blocks of proteins, are compounds that play many critical roles in your body.
They're needed for vital processes like the building of proteins and synthesis of hormones and neurotransmitters.

Some may also be taken in supplement form for a natural way to boost athletic performance or improve mood.
They’re categorized as essential, conditionally essential or nonessential depending on several factors.

This article tells you everything you need to know about essential amino acids, including how they function, possible food sources and the benefits of taking a supplement.

essential-amino-acids-1296x728-feature.jpg

What Are Essential Amino Acids?

Amino acids are organic compounds composed of nitrogen, carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, along with a variable side chain group.

Your body needs 20 different amino acids to grow and function properly. Though all 20 of these are important for your health, only nine amino acids are classified as essential (1Trusted Source).
These are histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan and valine.
Unlike nonessential amino acids, essential amino acids can’t be made by your body and must be obtained through your diet.

The best sources of essential amino acids are animal proteins like meat, eggs and poultry.

When you eat protein, it’s broken down into amino acids, which are then used to help your body with various processes such as building muscle and regulating immune function (2Trusted Source).

Conditionally Essential Amino Acids

There are several nonessential amino acids that are classified as conditionally essential.

These are considered to be essential only under specific circumstances such as illness or stress.

For example, although arginine is considered nonessential, your body can’t meet demands when fighting certain diseases like cancer (3Trusted Source).
That’s why arginine must be supplemented through diet in order to meet your body’s needs in certain situations.

Their Roles in Your Body

The nine essential amino acids perform a number of important and varied jobs in your body:

1. Phenylalanine: Phenylalanine is a precursor for the neurotransmitters tyrosine, dopamine, epinephrine and norepinephrine. It plays an integral role in the structure and function of proteins and enzymes and the production of other amino acids (4).
  2. Valine: Valine is one of three branched-chain amino acids, meaning it has a chain branching off to one side of its molecular structure. Valine helps stimulate muscle growth and regeneration and is involved in energy production (5).
  3. Threonine: Threonine is a principal part of structural proteins such as collagen and elastin, which are important components of the skin and connective tissue. It also plays a role in fat metabolism and immune function (6).
  4. Tryptophan: Though often associated with causing drowsiness, tryptophan has many other functions. It’s needed to maintain proper nitrogen balance and is a precursor to serotonin, a neurotransmitter that regulates your appetite, sleep and mood (7).
  5. Methionine: Methionine plays an important role in metabolism and detoxification. It’s also necessary for tissue growth and the absorption of zinc and selenium, minerals that are vital to your health (8).
  6. Leucine: Like valine, leucine is a branched-chain amino acid that is critical for protein synthesis and muscle repair. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels, stimulates wound healing and produces growth hormones (9).
  7. Isoleucine: The last of the three branched-chain amino acids, isoleucine is involved in muscle metabolism and is heavily concentrated in muscle tissue. It’s also important for immune function, hemoglobin production and energy regulation (10).
  8. Lysine: Lysine plays major roles in protein synthesis, hormone and enzyme production and the absorption of calcium. It’s also important for energy production, immune function and the production of collagen and elastin (11).
  9. Histidine: Histidine is used to produce histamine, a neurotransmitter that is vital to immune response, digestion, sexual function and sleep-wake cycles. It’s critical for maintaining the myelin sheath, a protective barrier that surrounds your nerve cells (12).

Dammit!

Source
Technology Works.com

View media item 1759491

Amino Acids – the Building Blocks of Proteins

Karen Steward PhD
Science Writer

Amino acids are the building blocks that form polypeptides and ultimately proteins. Consequently, they are fundamental components of our bodies and vital for physiological functions such as protein synthesis, tissue repair and nutrient absorption. Here we take a closer look at amino acid properties, how they are used in the body and where they come from.

Amino acid chart

View media item 1759492

There are 20 amino acids that make up proteins and all have the same basic structure, differing only in the R-group or side chain they have. The simplest, and smallest, amino acid is glycine for which the R-group is a hydrogen (H). They can be subdivided according to their properties, dictated by the functional groups they possess. Broadly they are divided by charge, hydrophobicity and polarity. These properties influence the way they interact with surrounding amino acids in polypeptides and proteins, and consequently impact protein 3D structure and properties.

View media item 1759490

This chart shows the chemical structures of the 20 amino acids that make up proteins.

Amino acid abbreviations

This table shows the abbreviations and single letter codes used for the 20 amino acids found in proteins. In addition, pyrrolysine, used in the biosynthesis of proteins in some archaea and bacteria but not present in humans, and selenocysteine, a cysteine analogue only found in some lineages, are included in blue. Finally, abbreviations used for amino acid residues with more than one potential identity, and the termination codon are shown in red to complete the alphabet of single letter abbreviations.

Amino acidAbbreviationSingle letter abbreviation
AlanineAlaA
ArginineArgR
AsparagineAsnN
Aspartic acidAspD
CysteineCysC
GlutamineGlnQ
Glutamic acidGluE
GlycineGlyG
HistidineHisH
IsoleucineIleI
LeucineLeuL
LysineLysK
MethionineMetM
PhenylalaninePheF
ProlineProP
SerineSerS
ThreonineThrT
TryptophanTrpW
TyrosineTyrY
ValineValV
PyrrolysinePylO
SelenocysteineSecU
Aspartic acid or AsparagineAsxB
Glutamic acid or GlutamineGlxZ
Any amino acidXaaX
Leucine or IsoleucineXleJ
Termination codonTERM

Ala amino acid
Discovered in protein in 1875, alanine makes up 30 % of the residues in silk. Its low reactivity contributes to the simple, elongated structure of silk with few cross-links which gives the fibers strength, stretch resistance and flexibility. Only the l-stereoisomer participates in the biosynthesis of proteins.

Arg amino acid
In humans, arginine is produced when proteins are digested. It can then be converted into nitric oxide by the human body, a chemical known to relax blood vessels.

Due to its vasodilatory effects, arginine has been put forward for the treatment of people with chronic heart failure, high cholesterol, compromised circulation and high blood pressure, although research on these fronts is still ongoing. Arginine can also be produced synthetically, and arginine-related compounds can be used in treating people with liver dysfunction due to its role in promoting liver regeneration. Although arginine is necessary for growth but not body maintenance, research has indicated that arginine is crucial to the wound-healing process, particularly in those with poor circulation.

Asn amino acid
In 1806, asparagine was purified from asparagus juice, making it the first amino acid to be isolated from a natural source. However, it wasn’t until 1932 that scientists were able to prove that asparagine occurred in proteins. Only the l-stereoisomer participates in the biosynthesis of mammalian proteins. Asparagine is important in the removal of toxic ammonia from the body.

Asp amino acid
Discovered in proteins in 1868, aspartic acid is commonly found in animal proteins, however only the l-stereoisomer participates in the biosynthesis of proteins. The water solubility of this amino acid lends itself to the presence near the active sites of enzymes such as pepsin.

Cys amino acid
Cysteine is particularly abundant in the proteins of hair, hooves, and the keratin of the skin, having been isolated from a urinary calculus in 1810 and from horn in 1899. Subsequently, it was chemically synthesized, and the structure solved in 1903–4.

The sulfur-containing thiol group in cysteine’s side chain is key to its properties, enabling the formation of disulfide bridges between two peptide chains (as with insulin) or loop formation within a single chain, impacting the final protein structure. Two cysteine molecules linked together by a disulfide linkage make up the amino acid cystine, which is sometimes listed separately in common amino acid listings. Cysteine is made in the body from serine and methionine and only present in the l-stereoisomer in mammalian proteins.

People with the genetic condition cystinuriaare unable to effectively reabsorb cystine into their bloodstream. Consequently, high levels of cystine build up in their urine where it crystalizes and forms stones that block the kidneys and bladder.

Gln amino acid
Glutamine was first isolated from beet juice in 1883, isolated from a protein in 1932 and subsequently synthesized chemically the following year. Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in our bodies and performs several important functions. In humans, glutamine is synthesized from glutamic acid and this conversion step is vitally important in regulating the level of toxic ammonia in the body, forming urea and purines.

Glu amino acid
Glutamic acid was isolated from wheat gluten in 1866 and chemically synthesized in 1890.Commonly found in animal proteins, only the l-stereoisomer occurs in mammalian proteins, which humans are able to synthesize from the common intermediate α-ketoglutaric acid. The monosodium salt of l-glutamic acid, monosodium glutamate (MSG) is commonly used as a condiment and flavor enhancer. The carboxyl side chain of glutamic acid is able to act as a donor and acceptor of ammonia, which is toxic to the body, enabling the safe transport of ammonia to the liver where it is converted to urea and excreted by the kidneys. Free glutamic acid can also be degraded to carbon dioxide and water or transformed into sugars.

Gly amino acid
Glycine was the first amino acid to be isolated from a protein, in this case gelatin, and is the only one that is not optically active (no d- or l-stereoisomers). Structurally the simplest of the α-amino acids, it is very unreactive when incorporated into proteins. Even so, glycine is important in the biosynthesis of the amino acid serine, the coenzyme glutathione, purines and heme, a vital part of hemoglobin.

His amino acid
Histidine was isolated in 1896 and its structure confirmed by chemical synthesis in 1911. Histidine is the direct precursor of histamine and is also an important source of carbon in purine synthesis. When incorporated into proteins, histidine’s side chain can act as a proton acceptor and donor, conveying important properties when combined into enzymes such as chymotrypsin and those involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and nucleic acids.

For infants, histidine is considered an essential amino acid, adults are able to go for short periods without dietary intake but is still considered essential.

Ile amino acid
Isoleucine was isolated from beet sugar molasses in 1904. The hydrophobic nature of isoleucine’s side chain is important in determining the tertiary structure of proteins in which it is included.

Those suffering from a rare inherited disorder called maple syrup urine disease, have a faulty enzyme in the degradation pathway common to isoleucine, leucine, and valine. Without treatment, metabolites build up in patient’s urine contributing the distinctive odor that gives the condition its name.

Leu amino acid
Leucine was isolated from cheese in 1819 and from muscle and wool in its crystalline state in 1820. In 1891, it was synthesized in the laboratory.

Only the l-stereoisomer appears in mammalian protein and can be degraded into simpler compounds by the enzymes of the body. Some DNA binding proteins contain regions in which leucines are arranged in configurations called leucine zippers.

Lys amino acid
Lysine was first isolated from the milk protein casein in 1889, and its structure elucidated in 1902. Lysine is important in the binding of enzymes to coenzymes and plays an important role in the way histones function.

Many cereal crops are very low in lysine which has led to deficiencies in some populations that rely heavily on these for food as well as in vegetarians and low-fat dieters. Consequently, efforts have been made to develop corn strains rich in lysine.

Met amino acid
Methionine was isolated from the milk protein casein in 1922, and its structure solved by laboratory synthesis in 1928.Methionine is an important source of sulfur for numerous compounds in the body, including cysteine and taurine. Linked to its sulfur content, methionine helps to prevent fat accumulation in the liver, and helps to detoxify metabolic wastes and toxins.

Methionine is the only essential amino acid that is not present in significant amounts of soybeans and is therefore produced commercially and added to many soy meal products.

Phe amino acid
Phenylalanine was first isolated from a natural source (lupine sprouts) in 1879 and subsequently synthesized chemically in 1882. The human body is ordinarily able to break down phenylalanine into tyrosine, however in individuals with the inherited condition phenylketonuria (PKU), the enzyme that performs this conversion lacks activity. If left untreated, phenylalanine builds in the blood causing retarded mental development in children. On in 10,000 children are born with the condition, adopting a diet low in phenylalanine early in life can ease the effects.

Pro amino acid
In 1900, proline was chemically synthesized. The following year it was then isolated from the milk protein casein and its structure shown to be the same. Humans can synthesize proline from glutamic acid, appearing only as the l-stereoisomer in mammalian proteins. When proline is incorporated into proteins, its peculiar structure leads to sharp bends, or kinks, in the peptide chain, contributing greatly to the protein’s final structure. Proline and its derivate hydroxyproline, account for 21 % of the amino-acid residues of the fibrous protein collagen, essential to connective tissue.

Ser amino acid
Serine was first isolated from silk protein in 1865, but its structure was not established until 1902. Humans can synthesize serine from other metabolites, including glycine, although only the l-stereoisomer appears in mammalian proteins. Serine is important for the biosynthesis of many metabolites and is often important to the catalytic function of enzymes in which it is incorporated, including chymotrypsin and trypsin.

Nerve gases and some insecticides act by combining with a serine residue in the active site of acetylcholine esterase, inhibiting the enzyme completely. Esterase activity is essential to breakdown the neurotransmitter acetylcholine otherwise dangerously high levels build up, rapidly leading to convulsions and death.

Thr amino acid
Threonine was isolated from fibrin in 1935 and synthesized in the same year. Only the l-stereoisomer appears in mammalian proteins where it is relatively unreactive. Although important in many reactions in bacteria, its metabolic role in higher animals, including humans, remains unclear.

Trp amino acid
Isolated from casein (milk protein) in 1901, tryptophan’s structure was established in 1907, but only the l-stereoisomer appears in mammalian proteins. In the human gut, bacteria break down dietary tryptophan, releasing compounds like skatole and indole which give feces their unpleasant aroma. Tryptophan is converted to vitamin B3 (also called nicotinic acid or niacin), but not at a sufficient rate to keep us healthy. Consequently we must also ingest vitamin B3, failure to do so leading to a deficiency called pellagra.

Tyr amino acid
In 1846 tyrosine was isolated from the degradation of the casein (a protein from cheese), following which it was synthesized in the laboratory and its structure determined in 1883. Only present in the l-stereoisomer in mammalian proteins, humans can synthesize tyrosine from phenylalanine. Tyrosine is an important precursor to the adrenal hormones epinephrine and norepinephrine, thyroid hormones including thyroxine and the hair and skin pigment melanin. In enzymes, tyrosine residues are often associated with active sites, alteration of which can change enzyme specificity or wipe out activity entirely.

Suffers of the serious genetic condition phenylketonuria (PKU) are unable to convert phenylalanine to tyrosine, whilst patients with alkaptonuria have a defective tyrosine metabolism, producing distinctive urine which darkens when exposed to the air.

Val amino acid
The structure of valine was established in 1906, after first being isolated from albumin in 1879. Only the l-stereoisomer appears in mammalian protein. Valine can be degraded into simpler compounds in the body, but in people with a rare genetic condition called maple syrup urine disease, a faulty enzyme interrupts this process and can prove fatal if untreated.

Properties of the carboxyl group

All amino acids have a carboxyl group and an amino group. During amino acid polymerization, the carboxyl group of one amino acid is linked to the amino group of the next amino acid via a peptide bond with the loss of a water molecule.

Properties of hydrophobic amino acids

Amino acids that fall under the classification of hydrophobic are alanine, valine, isoleucine, leucine, methionine, phenylalanine, tryptophan and tyrosine. As their classification suggests, the side chains tend to be repelled from water, so this impacts the positioning of these amino acids in the protein tertiary structure.

Properties of polar amino acids

Polar amino acid residues are typically found on the outside of a protein following polymerization due to the hydrophilic properties of the side chain. Four amino acids are classed as polar but not charged (asparagine, glutamine, serine and threonine).

Properties of aromatic amino acids

The aromatic amino acids (phenylalanine, tyrosine and tryptophan), whilst all falling within other classifications, possess aromatic side chains. Consequently, to different degrees, they all absorb ultraviolet light, with tyrosine absorbing the most and phenylalanine t

Protein synthesis definition and the amino acid code

To form a protein, amino acids are polymerized with the formation of a peptide bond, starting at the N-terminus and ending at the C-terminus.[/B]

View media item 1759531
  • - A messenger RNA (mRNA) copied from DNA provides the instruction of which amino acid to incorporate at which position for the synthesis of a specific protein.
  • - At the ribosome, a transfer RNA (tRNA) binds to one end of the mRNA and carries the required amino acids at the other end.
  • - Additional protein factors aid in the initiation, elongation and termination of protein synthesis.
  • - The genetic information required to determine which amino acid needs to be incorporated at which position is encoded as a series of three bases, or triplets, in the mRNA, also called the triplet code. The 64 possible triplets and the amino acids they specify are called the genetic code or amino acid code.
  • - Many of the amino acids are encoded by more than one triplet code, such as arginine, which is added when CGU, CGC, CGA or CGG is encountered. In most organisms three (and sometimes two) of the triplets signal chain termination.
View media item 1759532

Nine essential amino acids and amino acid supplements

The human body is able to synthesize 11 of the 20 amino acids, however the other nine we cannot. This is likely as a result of gene loss or mutation over time in response to changing selective pressures, such as the abundance of particular food containing specific amino acids. These are therefore termed essential amino acids and must be acquired through our diet.

Particular animal species are able to synthesize different amino acids and, accordingly, their dietary requirements differ. Humans for example are able to synthesize arginine, but dogs and cats cannot – they must acquire it through dietary intake. Unlike humans and dogs, cats are unable to synthesize taurine. This is one of the reasons that commercial dog food is unsuitable for cats. For humans, the nine amino acids that must be acquired through diet are histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine.

Foods that contain all nine essential amino acids are referred to as "complete proteins", and include meat, seafood, eggs, dairy products, soy, quinoa and buckwheat. Other protein sources, such as nuts, seeds, grains and beans, contain some but not all essential amino acids and are therefore referred to as incomplete.
This table shows the United States recommended daily allowances per 1 kg of body weight for the nine essential amino acids.
Amino acidRecommended daily allowances (mg/kg body weight)
Histidine14
Isoleucine19
Leucine42
Lysine38
Methionine19
Phenylalanine33
Threonine20
Tryptophan5
Valine24

There are also guidelines for the non-essential amino acids cysteine (19 mg/kg) and tyrosine (33 mg/kg).

Let's talk supplements. All of your bodies’ essential amino acid needs can be met by having a healthy, balanced diet. However, there are some advocates for taking high concentration supplements to improve factors such as mood, sleep, exercise performance, weight loss and prevent muscle loss. Look on many “health and wellbeing” pages and there are people pedaling the benefits of amino acid supplements, but is there good evidence to back this up?

The essential amino acid tryptophan is required for the production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter with an important role in sleep, mood and behavior. Consequently, the effects of manipulating tryptophan levels on sleep and mood have been investigated in a number of studies. Whilst there is evidence that depleting tryptophan levels can negatively impact sleep and mood, many studies suffer from small sample sizes, lack of sufficient controls or other failings.

Consequently, whilst it is clearly a key component in the diet and there may be potential for supplementation to have beneficial effects, evidence to support the administration of tryptophan above and beyond what can be consumed in a healthy diet is currently lacking and further investigation is required.

Whilst there are some studies suggesting taking amino acid supplements can have positive effects on exercise performance in some groups, results vary greatly between studies, with many studies demonstrating little or no benefit. A clinical trial is also looking at the consequences of taking an amino acid food supplement on skin photoaging but the results are yet to be revealed.

Back
Top Bottom