SweetSue's Class Notes

From Wiki. I haven't forgotten homomers and heteromers. Lol! First there's a few things in cellular biology I need to grasp.

A tetrameric protein is a protein with a quaternary structure of four subunits (tetrameric). Homotetramers have four identical subunits (such as glutathione S-transferase), and heterotetramers are complexes of different subunits. A tetramer can be assembled as dimer of dimers with two homodimer subunits (such as sorbitol dehydrogenase), or two heterodimer subunits (such as hemoglobin).

In biochemistry, a protein dimer is a macromolecular complex formed by two protein monomers, or single proteins, which are usually non-covalently bound. Many macromolecules, such as proteins or nucleic acids, form dimers. The word dimer has roots meaning "two parts", di- + -mer. A protein dimer is a type of protein quaternary structure.
A protein homodimer is formed by two identical proteins. A protein heterodimer is formed by two different proteins.

Ion channels are pore-forming membrane proteins that allow ions to pass through the channel pore. Their functions include establishing a resting membrane potential, shaping action potentials and other electrical signals by gating the flow of ions across the cell membrane, controlling the flow of ions across secretory and epithelial cells, and regulating cellvolume. Ion channels are present in the membranes of all excitable cells.[1] Ion channels are one of the two classes of ionophoricproteins, along with ion transporters (including the sodium-potassium pump, sodium-calcium exchanger, and sodium-glucose transport proteins).[2]

Schematic diagram of an ion channel. 1 - channel domains (typically four per channel), 2 - outer vestibule, 3 - selectivity filter, 4 - diameter of selectivity filter, 5 - phosphorylation site, 6 - cell membrane.

From Wiki:

Eukaryotes (/juːˈkærioʊt, -ət/) are organisms whose cells have a nucleus enclosed within membranes, unlike prokaryotes(Bacteria and Archaea).[3][4][5] Eukaryotes belong to the domain Eukaryota or Eukarya. Their name comes from the Greek εὖ (eu, "well" or "true") and κάρυον (karyon, "nut" or "kernel").[6] Eukaryotic cells also contain other membrane-bound organelles such as mitochondria and the Golgi apparatus, and in addition, some cells of plants and algae contain chloroplasts. Unlike unicellulararchaea and bacteria, eukaryotes may also be multicellular and include organisms consisting of many cell types forming different kinds of tissue. Animals and plants are the most familiar eukaryotes.

Notes from video:

G-Protein Coupled Receptors - Nervous system physiology - NCLEX-RN - Kahn Academy
Created by William Tsai

GCPRs are the largest class of known receptors. Humans have more than 1000 known different types of GPCRs.
- GCPRs are a large, diverse family of cell surface receptors that respond to many different external signals.
- each one specific to a particular function
- GPCRs are the target of between 30-50% of modern medicinal drugs

Binding of ligands to the receptor results in G-protein activation, triggering the production of other, 2nd messengers.

Ligands that bind to GPCRs:
- light-sensitive compounds
- odors
- pheromones
- hormones
- neurotransmitters

GPCRs can regulate an incredible range of bodily functions, from sensation, to growth, to hormonal response. GPCRs regulate:
- the immune system
- growth
- our sense of smell
- taste
- visual
- behavioral
- mood (seratonin, dopamine)

Even now we know so little about the function of many G-proteins and GPCRs.

Structure

Most importantly, they penetrate the cell membrane 7 times.
- 7 transmembrane alpha helices (also known as 7 transmembrane receptors)

They're specialized proteins, able to bind GTP and GDP (why we call them G-proteins)

All proteins associated with GPCRs are heterotrimeric (3 different sub units, or sections)
- alpha, beta, gamma
- Alpha and gamma sub units are attached to the cell membrane by lipid anchors.

The pictured protein is inactive, and binds GDP to the alpha sub unit.

The pathway

GPCRs respond to the environment.
- interact with a wide variety of molecules on the outer surface of the cell membrane
- Each receptor binds to just a few, or just one type of molecule.
- fitting together like a lock and key

When a ligand binds to the receptor it causes a conformational change. The GPCR confirms to the signal from the ligand.

Steps
1) ligand binds to GPCR

2) GPCR undergoes a conformational change

3) Because of the conformational change the alpha sub unit exchanges GDP for GTP.

4) The molecular switch causes the alpha sub unit to dissociate, or move away from the other two sub units, and find a protein in the membrane to regulate the target proteins.

5) The target protein can relay a signal via a second messenger.

6) GTP is hydrolyzed to GDP.

Once this hydrolization happens the alpha unit will find a protein in the membrane that'll alter and regulate the function of that protein.
- Both alpha sub unit and the beta/gamma dimer can interact with other proteins to send messages.
- It's more common that the alpha sub unit does this, but the beta/gamma sub units can also regulate proteins.

Target proteins can be
- enzymes that produce second messengers
- ion channels that let ions be second messengers

G-proteins are incredibly diverse. Some stimulate activity while others can also inhibit.

As long as the ligand is bound to the GPCR the process can happen repeatedly.
- GTP is hydrolyzed to GDP (loses a phosphate)
- Everything goes back to what it was, all ready for the next ligand binding.

Our bodies have a few ways of regulating this return to inactive status.
- RGS protein (Regulation of G-protein Signaling) can accelerate the final step.

An example: when epinephrine binds to a GPCR.

* Epinephrine binds to the receptor.
* The binding causes a conformational change in the adrenergic receptor.
* The alpha sub unit seeks out a protein to regulate the response.
* This changes ATP into 2nd messenger cAMP, which can signal things like
- increased heart rate
- dialated blood vessels
- breaking down glycogen to glucose for energy

Are you sure you don't have a degree in molecular biology?

I’m beginning to wonder myself Shed. Lol! This is actually beginning to make sense to me. I have to read it out loud to be able to get it, but it’s starting to become a language I speak.

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!

I just realized that I’m the site search results only go back to early 2017. WTF?

Sometimes I wonder why I try.

Then I remember. :hug:

I’m looking for the best simple infused oil tutorials on the site to share with a member who’s completely naive about canna cookery. If anyone reading this knows of one, please let me know. Mine are lost in the data stream.

I’ll start with Corrine:

Potency Boost: Can Sunflower Lecithin Make Your Edibles Stronger?

bde267dd8e32263eaf1ce49f0cfa3?s=24&d=identicon&r=g.png
Corinne

3 years ago
The edibles world is abuzz with the word “lecithin.” You’ll see it in oil tutorials and recipes all over the web. It’s becoming one of the most important ingredients that marijuana chefs and home cooks are using to take their weed food to the next level.

But…

What is this Lecithin, and what does it do?

Why would you use Lecithin in Cannabis Oil?

How much Lecithin should you use in your edibles?

What kind of Lecithin should you use and where can you get it?

Today, we’ll tackle these questions and more in this post.

Next Level: Sunflower Lecithin in Edibles[/B][/SIZE]

In a minute, it’s going to get real tech, but before that, let’s go over the basics.

What is Lecithin?

Most of us are familiar with lecithin as an ingredient in things like chocolate. It’s used an as emulsifier; for bringing everything together and making it smooth. It’s also used in many pharmaceuticals to help get the drug into your system more quickly. It’s also sold as a supplement in health food stores because our big brains are huge fans of the stuff.

When added to cannabis coconut oil, lecithin increases absorption of THC and other Cannabinoids into your cell membranes and speeds up the process. It doesn’t technically make your oil “more potent.”

It’ll makes your oil more effective, so a 100 mg dose will still be 100 mgs, but the effects will come on faster and will feel stronger. This way, you can use less oil in your recipes (great for conserving your ganja) or use the same (great for stronger edibles). Player’s choice.

Is Lecithin Bad for You?

Lecithin has gotten a bad wrap because of its use in processed foods, pesticides, chemicals and drugs, and most hippies see the word “lecithin” and go running for the hills. It’s usually used in the form of Soy Lecithin, which has been shown to be mostly genetically modified.

But lecithin has an interesting effect on your health. If you have the time, I’d suggest you check out all of these amazing things that lecithin does in your body.
(Note: bad link removed) If you’re in a hurry, a few highlights:

• It aids in the immune system by coating our red blood cells and providing protection against the invasion of viruses, bacteria, etc.
  • It’s a solvent for cholesterol, triglycerides and gnarly fats. It prevents hardening of the arteries, stroke and other heart issues.
  • It improves memory, helping brain cells develop and aiding in the transmission of nerve impulses in the brain.
  • And sooooo much more (check the link above and have your mind blown).

Since lecithin already plays a major role in the absorption of nutrients into the cells, it’s no wonder that adding lecithin would aid in the absorption of THC and other cannabinoids.

If you’re already lecithin deficient, which I suspect many of us may be (especially after the Great Fat Scare of the 1990’s), our cell membranes are relatively hardened, and it’s tough to get anything through.

If you’re exposed to heavy metals, pollutants, hard drugs/pharmaceuticals, food additives, pesticides, etc., your cell membranes are even tougher. Adding lecithin to your diet (and to your edibles) can be a great way to increase nutrient absorption and to get your cell membranes to loosen up.

I know what you’re thinking hippie: “I’m not going to put GMO Soy Lecithin in my body temple just because you’re telling me that my body temple likes it.” Totally! I’m with you. Check out the Sunflower vs. Soy section below and know that these days, there are finally organic and non-gmo options for people like us.

How Lecithin & THC Work Together

Here’s an interesting and science-y way to look at what’s happening with lecithin in cannabis oil from the folks at THCGeek. : (note: link removed)
“Since lecithin contains phospholipids, the process of encapsulating the THC, and making it water-soluble and absorbable, can be completed prior to ingestion. This liposomal encapsulation process that lecithin facilitates, makes edibles especially potent, since the micelles that it creates serve as a disguise for the THC resin inside the body, allowing it to be absorbed more readily.

As if that were not enough to merit consideration, lecithin also serves as a surfactant (a compound that lowers surface tension), helping distribute the THC throughout the body more quickly.”

Sunflower Lecithin vs. Soy Lecithin…. Granules vs. Powdered vs. Liquid vs. Gel Caps

In the past, I avoided putting lecithin in cannabis oil because I thought one of the only sources was Soy Lecithin, which (unless otherwise labeled) is known to be almost completely composed of GMO soy (which is gnarly for many reasons). I could only find organic soy lecithin in mega bulk, so I gave up on it.

But when I was working on the second edition of Wake & Bake, I found out that sunflower lecithin is a great alternative. It’s still inexpensive and it’s widely available. I’ve been using the Sunflower Lecithin Powder from Swanson which is pretty cheap and GMO free, but I can’t wait to get my hands on some of this Organic Sunflower Lecithin from Lekithos. [update: since I originally wrote this post, organic lecithin has become impossible to find again. I’m not sure where all of it is going… cough cough… commercial edibles in Colorado and Washington. Hopefully there will be a source of non-hexane extracted lecithin that I can recommend soon. I’ll keep you posted.]

The sunflower lecithin gel caps were the only thing I could find at first, and they technically probably worked, but they were a pain in the ass to cut open and gave the oil a very gel-capped taste/smell until the oil sat in the fridge for about a week. They were also much more expensive. The Magical Butter folks add that the capsules contain gnarly binders and fillers.

I recommend using liquid, granules or powder.

Ratio for Lecithin in Cannabis Oil

This part’s easy… For every cup of oil you use, use 1 Tablespoon of Sunflower Lecithin granules or liquid.

For example…
1 Cup Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon Sunflower Lecithin
7-14 Grams Cannabis Trim or Dried Buds

You can incorporate lecithin into a cannabis coconut oil recipe or the hash butter method.

Much Love,

Corinne

That didn't take long! I found this interesting:

"...the process of encapsulating the THC, and making it water-soluble and absorbable, can be completed prior to ingestion."

Does that mean that overnight refrigeration is not needed? It doesn't mention when prior to ingestion, but it also doesn't say "during the infusion process" either. And now we know from @Cannasavvy's research that during is counterproductive ( :thanks: again CS!).

That didn't take long! I found this interesting:

"...the process of encapsulating the THC, and making it water-soluble and absorbable, can be completed prior to ingestion."

Does that mean that overnight refrigeration is not needed? It doesn't mention when prior to ingestion, but it also doesn't say "during the infusion process" either. And now we know from @Cannasavvy's research that during is counterproductive ( :thanks: again CS!).

Lecithin doesn't perform liposomal encapsulation in our processes. That'd take specialized equipment none of us is privy to, at least not anyone I know of. What is does is finely disperse the components to make them more easily absorbable and also works like a time-release mechanism, stretching that therapeutic window just a bit more.

Plant Roots

Plant Roots An Underground Story

The Centre for Plant Integrative Biology at the University of Nottingham led an international group of European and US scientists in a discovery of a fascinating new insight into the unseen side of plant biology, the root.

The roots do not have the visibility that the plant shoots, flowers or leaves do but the roots are critical to our lives. The roots provide the crops we eat with water, nutrients, a firm anchor and a place to store food.

Roots are complex branching organs and show a wide variation in the way they grow through the soil to exploit the available resources.

The way that new lateral roots are formed and grow is key to this process. Lateral roots originate deep within the parent root and must emerge through intervening layers of tissues before entering the soil. There is little known about the regulation of lateral root emergence despite its importance to the integrity and architecture of the root system.

The team published a paper in Nature Cell Biology revealing for the very first time how lateral root emergence is achieved. New lateral roots reprogram the cells overlaying them, causing them to separate and enabling the new root to emerge. The scientists have discovered how new roots open the door to the world outside.

Professor Malcolm Bennett, Biology Director for the Centre for Plant Integrative Biology and Head of Division of Plant and Crop Sciences, said:”In addition to providing new biological insight into lateral root emergence, we have identified a large number of genes that control this process.

"This is really important because this may enable us to breed crops with improved root architecture in the future.

3) Coconut oil is the preferred oil — If you surf the internet, coconut oil seems to have the most positive reviews in the medical cannabis community, whether it’s used to make edibles or mixed with cannabis extracts. The other advantage of coconut oil is its stable chemical structure which gives it a much longer shelf life than other oils.

I'll probably never be able to get away from Cajun's preference for olive oil, excepting when treating liver cancer.
@SweetSue, I remember seeing somewhere on the net a few years back, a comparison of coconut oil versus olive oil as the choice of carrier oil. I believe it said that only one of them was suitable for sublingual delivery or absorption in the oesophagus, whereas the other had to go through digestion to achieve worthwhile absorption into the bloodstream Being aware of this difference can be important, for example, patients treating brain cancer by holding their cannabis oil mix in the mouth for close-by absorption may be unwittingly compromising their chances of beating the disease if they have made the wrong choice of carrier oil. I've tried anew to track down a carrier oil comparison, seeking links to reputable sources which can settle this matter, but my google searches have not been as fruitful as I was hoping. I wonder is this something you have heard discussed anywhere?

I don’t recall offhand VerdantSpires, but you have me curious. On my way to bed at the moment, but I’ll start seeing what I can turn up tomorrow. This would be an important distinction for administration choices.

Good to see you, by the way. Made me real glad I decided to check the notification before turning in. :hug: I’ll be back tomorrow.

I don’t recall offhand VerdantSpires, but you have me curious. On my way to bed at the moment, but I’ll start seeing what I can turn up tomorrow. This would be an important distinction for administration choices.

Good to see you, by the way. Made me real glad I decided to check the notification before turning in. :hug: I’ll be back tomorrow.

I haven’t had the time to go searching @VerdantSpires. I’ve an unexpected bit of traveling to get behind me by the end of the month that threw a monkey wrench into my research projects. If it shows up in front of me I’ll be sure to drop the links here. :hug:

View media item 1653069
I’ve fallen back into my study of Tom Myers’ Anatomy Trains in my search for deeper understanding of the lines of signaling transmission that the body utilizes. I have a rare opportunity to trace these lines on a willing partner, and I know instinctively that’s gonna open some windows for me.

My brief overview of the materials has already resulted in the most effective Callanetics session in all the decades I’ve practiced. The simple awareness of the flow of tension and energy in the body makes it incredible easy to let that tension melt away all along the lines.

I’m most excited about what this may teach me about the way the body communicates with itself.

Back
Top Bottom