Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

have some 1.5 month jared buds
What you might want to try is....well, what I did was took my jar of bud (partly cured) and placed it in a larger jar that also contained a small container of salt and water. This creates a 75% humidity. I left mine for a couple of days and then compressed and sweated the bud. It did work, somewhat but is nowhere ideal. I can hardly wait until I have some fresh bud and do it properly.
That's what I did - your results may vary!!!

You may have to use 'wetter', more newly cut than jarred buds. My understanding is that the bud needs to go thru a 'ferment' stage which requires a certain amount of moisture to be still existing. But good luck anyway.
Thanks great info !!! (the jarred buds need to be set out for a few hrs to become dry enough to roll a joint - have they /are they ferminated ?

all and any info is appreciated -- Thanks @BuzzzD - ned to read directions (vacum machine) and then going to give a few grams a try (1.5 grs each)(going to let buds set out for 1 night then seal them ((buds are a bit "spongey"

So I started my 5th Cob making this week with some Golden Tiger 3.0. I am on the second day of Fermentation of about 8 ounces going in. I have in the past liked the end product of Cobing these plants instead of just curing them. The end product is more like what I remember the texture of pipe tobacco and much milder to smoke. My first Cobing attempt I wrapped very tight and the cob ended up very dark and hard. Since then I have wraped them up slightly looser with a end result of being able to break up the cob with my fingers easily. ....this is the first time I have grown GT 3.0 and I tested a few buds from my trimming and have been impressed with the high and cant wait to try them cobed in a couple of months.

Hey Chungo - I have two cobs underway as well - they are now sitting in my sweat box in their pressing molds. I was going to shrink wrap them but can't get it to work. I'll get pics soon.
Hoping for the best. I really enjoyed my last feable attempt with "too dry weed" - this is about three days dry and seems real moist so should ferment well.

So I started my 5th Cob making this week with some Golden Tiger 3.0. I am on the second day of Fermentation of about 8 ounces going in. I have in the past liked the end product of Cobing these plants instead of just curing them. The end product is more like what I remember the texture of pipe tobacco and much milder to smoke. My first Cobing attempt I wrapped very tight and the cob ended up very dark and hard. Since then I have wraped them up slightly looser with a end result of being able to break up the cob with my fingers easily. ....this is the first time I have grown GT 3.0 and I tested a few buds from my trimming and have been impressed with the high and cant wait to try them cobed in a couple of months.
have some "jarred" now for 1 month - now it's time to cob ? right ?

have some "jarred" now for 1 month - now it's time to cob ? right ?
Hey Man - I am an almost complete novice at this cobbing but I am under the impression that you should only hang dry for a few days and then compress and sweat. You need the stuff inside to be alive and moist to do the fermenting process.
I remember the texture of pipe tobacco and much milder to smoke.
I have only chewed my cobb - I didn't like the taste but with the odd dab of butter, chocolate or anything to help I was very pleased with the results. I chew it for as long as it lasts - at least 20 minutes but longer if I can stretch it.

Hey Man - I am an almost complete novice at this cobbing but I am under the impression that you should only hang dry for a few days and then compress and sweat. You need the stuff inside to be alive and moist to do the fermenting process.

I have only chewed my cobb - I didn't like the taste but with the odd dab of butter, chocolate or anything to help I was very pleased with the results. I chew it for as long as it lasts - at least 20 minutes but longer if I can stretch it.
I tryed to do cobs orally a couple times and hated the taste. I smoke it and enjoy it more than bag weed...

The my pot was hanging for 3 days then cobed to sweat for 24-48 hrs. Then lower the temp and ferment for 7-14 days. If it been drying for that long it possible won't ferment as the bacteria is non existent....
will write this down for making cobs --thanks so you just cob after 3 days - do you then re-cob for the 7-14 days ?? Then just let them go - do you ever re-cob again ?

will write this down for making cobs --thanks so you just cob after 3 days - do you then re-cob for the 7-14 days ?? Then just let them go - do you ever re-cob again ?
I just check daily for moisture daily and wipe down the cobs if their is visable moisture in the wrapping the 14 days. Then after the 14 days it just cure for 30 days or more. The instructions at the very beginning of this set of posts....

Since my first buzz at the age of 22 I've been searching for an elusive euphoric experience, one that connected me to a deeper awareness, insight, and hallucinatory inspiration one might more often attribute to ceremony than recreation. After years of dreaming, and following three years of learning to grow my own cannabis, I've danced around the edges of my dream, but so far the Dark Devil Auto was the closest thing to otherworldliness I'd come across.

There was a singular moment in my youth where I was transported by the after effects of Columbian Gold, which memory may or may not be influenced by the hunky tennis player that shared that experience with me. Just in case he wasn't the cause of the memories being so......delicious, I'll be growing a Columbian Gold this year. A girl has to know. :battingeyelashes:

I'll be cobbing that eventual harvest.

"Cobbing?" you inquire. "What is cobbing?"

I'm so glad you asked. :slide:

Well, it turns out someone has worked to perfect a method of curing that he believes closes replicates the cobbed buds he grew up appreciating in Africa. Tangwena was frustrated for years at the inferior quality of the euphoric experience with western-style drying techniques. For decades he devoted himself to the process of replicating the flavors and euphoric effects he remembered from his earlier years, but using safer methods.

In Africa the buds were cobbed and buried for fermentation, creating magical alchemy that transformed good bud into intense bud. Be forewarned, this is not cannabis you want to smoke as a newbie. At least not alone. Lol! Burying your cannabis can be problamatic from a sanitary perspective, particularly in the control of microorganisms that promote mold. Tangwena overcame that problem with vacuum sealing, and then he worked out a timeframe that gets the buds fermented and ready to cure in less than two weeks from harvest.

Vacuum seal the finished buds and let it cure for three months and you'll have an end product that will change how you think of your cannabis. From reading their accounts you'll change that perspective when they first come out of the cob after a week or so fermenting. :slide:

His thread is titled "Malawi style cob curing." When you've achieved success with this technique you're going to want to thank him. It'd be a nice gesture to stop by and pay your respects. If you don't want to bother with a membership to do so you can let me know and I'll pass it on. I think he and I are going to be talking about this technique for many years.

Do yourself a favor, go to his thread and read his accounts of the euphoria. Come back ready to play. :battingeyelashes:

Tangwena's thread's been up for years and runs nearly 250 pages. They welcomed me with open arms, thrilled to share what they learned as a team, and even reworked the flow chart fellow member repuk developed to reflect current knowledge. In a nutshell, this is our process. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I know, impressed the hell out of me too. :circle-of-love:

I want to do this. I'm going to do this. It's so much more fun to take these adventures with friends. Want to play? Ok, let's learn to ferment our cannabis together.

I'm just starting the process myself. I'm being a bit more casual with this thread than others I've started because I don't want to wait until I'm all ready. I want to start while I'm in process, let you guys jump in and add information as we go. I'll be harvesting my Malawi in the morning, and the plant needs to hang to get to around 80% RH before I cob any. That'll take between 1 to 3 days. As Tangwena describes it "the sugar leaves should be limp, but not brittle." He likes to think the buds are still alive when he cobs them, and talks sweetly to the buds as he compresses their sweetness into a cigar-shaped bundle of future joy.

Supplies:
* You'll need something to wrap the buds in. The best wrapper appears to be corn husks. I got mine from the rain forest, but you can find them in many stores for wrapping tamales. Alternatively, Tangwena suggested construction-weight paper bags. They'll withstand the abuse better than thinner bags. The corn husks create more surface area with their grooves. Tangwena says he swears by the sweeter taste created by the husks.

* The best cobs hold 1.5 - 2 ounces of buds, at somewhere around 80% RH

* A vacuum sealer system eliminates the threat of mold. You're going to squeeze them snugly.

* The process begins with a 24 - hour sweating step, maintaining the cobs at 40 C/104 F. There are many ways to achieve this, some of which repuk suggested on his chart. I'll be using a seed-starting heat pad with an inverted container under the insulating weight of a couple towels. Simplicity and frugality rolled into one.

There were some good pointers I found in just the first 10% of Tangwena's thread.

Aaaaand I just realized they got deleted. Lol! I'll go back over the material tonight and tomorrow and add it into this thread. I'll get the process worked up with details. They're aware that we're building on their experience and heartily encourage us to create a flow between the communities.

Tangwena's intention is to share this wonderful gift of knowledge with the world, to change the hearts and minds of cannabis enthusiasts, one cob at a time. I'm honored, as an unofficial ambassador of :420: to bring the knowledge back to my friends.

I think we're going to look back on this day warmly as the start of something wonderful. Can't you feel it? :yahoo:

Ok, who's in?
My Kiwi friend is going to put you into it. Sounds like you didn't decide to go with Malawi. Being the most psychedelic it fits for this method of cure. At 22 wks on bud I can't drive. Go 28 and then cob. Supernatural experience!

Just remember Tangie's warning about little buds eaten in the morning. Alice in Wonderland!

20230910_155544.jpg

My 2 olden Tiger 3.0 into 9 cobs ready for for the final curing after 12 days of fermentation. 29-35 grams ea......

Back
Top Bottom