Teachable moment

Jackalope

I like most people was surprised how different the males were from the female marijuana plant. Now that I have a male a month and a half in flower I thought would use it to show their structure. As you can tell this plant looks vary similar to a female plant.

So much talk about making your own seeds I thought it could be helpful to discuss males. While they are a different sex the bud formation is pretty close to the same. Here are 2 clones. 1 is female as she was born the other is a reversed male.

As you can tell there is not a lot of difference in the bud shape or size. Remember the male is 2 weeks older. I knew what this one was going to do so there is a difference when dealing with the unknown.
The think is. That the male buds should have good structure or traits just like a female should. Not only should you look at bud structure you also need to look at internode spacing. Growth style can also indicate certain pheno types you could be looking for. The fact that males need to finish early enough for the female to make viable seeds. The males always seem to be you best looking plants early on. That is only because they mature faster but should be remembered. I say that because sometimes you are looking for a short pheno or a tall one. So that tallest plant might not be the tall pheno. In this case you should look at other factors. Always watch for trichome production on males too. While not as profuse, quality males will still show signs of trichomes on the pods. I would show that with this plant but it is a reversed female so some of it has to do with that but not all. In some cases there may be only one male. This would be fine in a strain that you grow regularly. In a case where you know nothing about a strain and nothing about the male. Making seeds with it is a total crap shoot and really should be avoided if possible.

I didn't mention before why this plant would have been pulled. I know the flower times of the strains growing. Or close anyway. A plant needs 4 to 6 weeks to make seeds. Most plants mature in the 8 to 10 week range. Now that I am at the start of my second month of flowering any pollen added after now the seeds wouldn't mature in time or I would have to bring the plant past the right harvest time costing me trichomes.

So let me ask you, should I be knocking the pollen off my male everyday or should I be allowing it to dry out like yours do somewhat..... It seems like your seed pods are way more profuse than mine and there also seem to be a lot more full. Here is a close-up of mine yesterday... I know we've discussed behind the scenes.

I also think it's a fantastic idea to have a thread on males..... That's why I was posting so much about it in my own journal.

Great thread as always brother! Thanks for all your help. Anyone wondering, our friend Jackalope is the real deal. He knows his shot and has helped me immensely behind the scenes.

That picture is the reversed female I did. It had second thoughts about the sex change and didn't produce much pollen. That is another reason for letting it go longer.
When I harvest pollen I do it every few days. That was when I was taking it right to the plants to pollinate them. To save it. I would do the same thing but keep it in separate containers to protect from any contamination. Then use each batch one time. Store with rice or something to keep it dry and keep it in the freezer. Not the fridge, to much humidity.
Yeah me too on the male thing. Going to do a journal on both my projects this fall. Going back to old school breeding LOL.
Guy another thing you can keep a eye out for on that male. Watch on the pods for trichomes. Some of Betty males will produce them.

That picture is the reversed female I did. It had second thoughts about the sex change and didn't produce much pollen. That is another reason for letting it go longer.
When I harvest pollen I do it every few days. That was when I was taking it right to the plants to pollinate them. To save it. I would do the same thing but keep it in separate containers to protect from any contamination. Then use each batch one time. Store with rice or something to keep it dry and keep it in the freezer. Not the fridge, to much humidity.
Yeah me too on the male thing. Going to do a journal on both my projects this fall. Going back to old school breeding LOL.
Guy another thing you can keep a eye out for on that male. Watch on the pods for trichomes. Some of Betty males will produce them.
I'll do that tonight, honestly, I just been taking her on her side and knocking her with a small wooden dowel to release the pollen onto my slab of parchment paper. I finally figured out the best route as my plant got taller that my black tile wasn't cutting it. It's all good though, the parchment can be folded up and stored safely, unlike the tile LOL.

I'll do that tonight, honestly, I just been taking her on her side and knocking her with a small wooden dowel to release the pollen onto my slab of parchment paper. I finally figured out the best route as my plant got taller that my black tile wasn't cutting it. It's all good though, the parchment can be folded up and stored safely, unlike the tile LOL.

Perfect!

Thought I forgot this thread didn't you???? I kind of did but mostly I thought I had finished it. I was wrong. Looks like this He/She put out enough pollen to seed at least 1 plant. When I was trimming all the leaves off so I could dry it and harvest any pollen left over. I saw a puff of powder. The only plant I had with enough flowering time left was a M.O.B. by T.H. seeds. When I looked at that plant this morning I spotted seeds forming everywhere. Better to many then not enough. Plenty of time left for all seeds to mature on their own without having to let the plant go to far pasted prime. All pollen came within 2 days so when I see some seeds done the rest should be too.

You can kind of see a couple seeds. Mostly you can see pods swelling up.

Here is the reversed female at the end of he life. Almost all of the pods have fallen off. There a few left that might produce pollen when dried. This will be saved to try and pollinate the Blueberry on the next run.

Poor thing is old and wore out. Just wants me to let it die LMAO. It did a great job from the looks of it so it can go in peace. Spotted a noticeable seed in the Purple Betty today. No painting pollen with this project damn it. In both cases I pollinated the whole plant. I could not see any visible pollen and wanted to make if there was some it got where it needed to be. Looks like I might be the state agent for seedy weed.

Back
Top Bottom