Well 013, you got my interest. Is there a brand or specific type of sulphur you can suggest for purchase? I've never researched this but lo e a good experiment. All my plants are seed and different strains so nothing to measure but will give it a go anyways
Niiiiiceeeeee!!!!

Well 013, you got my interest. Is there a brand or specific type of sulphur you can suggest for purchase? I've never researched this but lo e a good experiment. All my plants are seed and different strains so nothing to measure but will give it a go anyways

As far as I know any brand will do, it’s just micronized or wettable aka dusting type garden sulfur from your local hardware or garden place.. Think mine is called Hi-Yield brand. It’s 90% sulfur 10% inert material.

Im sure you’re aware but reason for clones is so you will have a true basis for comparison otherwise when starting from beans one pheno could be more naturally terpy that the other since no 2 beans of any given strain will ever grow genetically identical plants. But hey Gidorah I’m thrilled to have your impressions any way we can get it!!!

013 your playpen idea is awesome!

I already use gypsum and my terps are very strong, so I'm not the right choice to try this but if anyone else wants to that doesn't already use any sulphur inputs please do! The floor is all yours😊. Well its all everyones floor anyways but you know what I mean, and 013, no pics are boring, spam us silly!👊.

Thanks for stepping up with this idea. Now my mind is going on what dangerous goodies can be safely added. Bloodmeal for 1 if you need it I would suspect, as roots likely won't get into the playpen.

Endless possibilities! Thanks @013 , this looks like a great tool.🙏

The magic of @420 at work😍

Thanks Gee,

Its been said, even a blind squirrel finds an occasional acorn! Sadly the untreated plant is less than mediocre… smells kinda like weed when first combusted but no real oomph when you hit it. Probably going to wash it into rso anyway…

Yes sir the blood meal sounds good too.

As far as I know any brand will do, it’s just micronized or wettable aka dusting type garden sulfur from your local hardware or garden place.. Think mine is called Hi-Yield brand. It’s 90% sulfur 10% inert material.

Im sure you’re aware but reason for clones is so you will have a true basis for comparison otherwise when starting from beans one pheno could be more naturally terpy that the other since no 2 beans of any given strain will ever grow genetically identical plants. But hey Gidorah I’m thrilled to have your impressions any way we can get it!!!
I agree, seeds may not be as good a comparison as clones, but if one just smells way stronger and it's the sulphured one, at least we have a start. See if we can find a pattern👍.

I've said this a few times now so I'll toss it out there again, if any of you that are quietly reading along and aren't sure/interested/or confident enough yet to start a journal, but you have some plants on the go, by all means post them in here so we can see.

It's safe here, no ones gonna criticize or anything, only help. Even if it's a past grow and you want to post some stuff, please feel free, we all love pictures and we all started at the beginning. It doesn't have to be organic, thats just my thing, I love looking at them all. They all require effort.

Even if your not quite there yet they are still a labour of love that you should be proud of so show them off.

Hey Gee man and co,

I am invited @DartGawd501 to join this thread. Dart is from Germany and is growing their first plant in soil. It's time for an up-pot and more nutrition. Dart, I thought you might find this thread of interest if you wish to stay water only with your soil. Not sure what's available in Germany though. Welcome to the organic side :circle-of-love:

project sulfur spoon

Buckle in cuz you’re not gonna believe this bedtime story. Ok, yes you will- but you simply have to try this and report back…

Gee said it months ago, plus I’ve read it before elsewhere in my travels. Most likely you’ve read it too but like me- it got filed away... Anyways the quote goes… sulfur is mother of all taste & terps. But the obvious problem is… no way I’m doing that crap, it will jack up my soil mix, mess up the ph, give bad taste to the buds, etc etc.

So unfortunately I killed their mom but had second chance via clones PPOG #1 and #2. Not gonna bore you with pics, the plants were not exceptional in any way. This pheno was not super sticky and they all foxtailed even the later clone generations. Both were swickers, identical soil mix, identical feed water. Same, same!

About 2 weeks post flip they strutted out puffballs. PPOG #1 got a heaping teaspoon of micronized sulfur top dressed in one spot near the edge of smart pot and away from main stalk. Yep sulfur is hydrophobic but was sprayed with water to activate. Every few days I’d spray more water to activate the same sulfur spot. Every two weeks another heaping teaspoon was added to same spot and watered in. PPOG #2 did not receive any sulfur treatment. I applied sulfur about 6 times total, again only during flower after pistils popped.

All thru flower sniff test on the two twins were done. The sulfur treated PPOG #1 was loud, in your face, but for PPOG #2 I had to bury my face and inhale deeply to catch anything. Massive difference it’s like the two plants were not even related. Yet I know they are because it’s the only clones I cut…

Then later after harvest it dawned on me and this is perfect for you solo cup burners too. What’s that one amendment you want to load up on but are afraid to push? Here’s how you do it safely, it’s like a soil spike but kinda different too. Cut the bottom out of a solo cup, fill it with your soil mix and insert it into the container. Leave rim exposed about an inch above top of soil. Think of this as a corral, a side pocket even, heck call it what you will but it’s your soils play pen… you can add anything amendment wise that you want and you can control its uptake by watering it or by leaving it dry. IMHO a solo cup is small enough that it’s not going to change your overall soil or watering dynamics, you can water around it and leave the center dry yet it’s no big deal either way. The cup is tapered at the bottom so water will saturate around it and the plant doesn’t care.

Another way to accomplish same thing is to place your test amendment under a large piece of bark or a similar cover placed on the soils surface. You can water around the bark it to let the amendment remain mostly dry and deactivated or lift the bark and water in your supplement to active that secret sauce…

PPOG #1 and #2 have been curing and the difference is ginormous. The PPOG #1 sulfur treated plant is incredibly pungent but the PPOG #2 girl smells like hay… clones so exact same plant genetically, same feed water, same cure methods, same everything except for the sulfur…

Will someone please try the sulfur thing (on a pair of clones obviously) and share your findings?? It would be nice to know, yep I’m a little insane but maybe not totally insane….. Ah well that’s beside the point I guess…

Edit to add… I didn’t observe any deficiency or excess on the plant related to sulfur but then again I’m still newbie and not the best at reading weed leaves…. your mileage may vary. Love to hear your questions, comments or criticisms… I’m thinking of going hard on langbenite & sulfur top dress too but probs need to curb my enthusiasm a touch

Here’s pic of play pen I’m setting up for next grow, this one is a solo cup cut vertically and placed at edge of smart pot. Whoops sorry for green nite lite. Cheers!

Hey @013 I find your idea of the corral interesting. Do you have holes along the side to make it easier for the roots to explore it or just at the bottom.

Your Sulfur thoughts are on point as well. I never got very strong terps until I started using Gypsum which I'd calcium and Sulfur. Sulfur's also a good PM or mold treatment I think though mostly used by burning it and that's not something one would likely do in an indoor grow.

Back
Top Bottom