The Supreme Court Resists Drug War Hysteria

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The U.S. Supreme Court's recent decision in Safford Unified School District v. Redding is a sign that the High Court's drug war fever may finally be breaking.

Savana Redding, a thirteen-year-old honor student, was strip-searched at school after a classmate falsely accused her of possessing prescription-strength ibuprofen (one pill is equivalent to two Advil). The school's zero tolerance policy prevents students from bringing any medication (prescription or over-the-counter) to school without administrative approval. The vice-principal confronted Redding and searched her backpack. Redding then was forced to remove her clothing and expose her genitalia. No pills were found.

Strip-searching a thirteen-year-old girl for Advil is a flagrant overreaction to the problem of student drug use. The vice-principle was not looking for a suspected weapon: he was after ibuprofen -- something many girls carry to school privately with parental consent to relieve menstrual cramps. He could have easily called Redding's mother and spared Redding the humiliation of having to expose herself.

Redding's Supreme Court victory represents a welcome change from the judicially sanctioned drug war hysteria that has plagued the High Court for the past 25 years, allowing school administrators to run roughshod over the Bill of Rights in the name of protecting youth.

Things looked promising in 1968 when the Supreme Court applied First Amendment protection to schools and told administrators that students do not "shed their constitutional rightsat the schoolhouse gate." However, by 2007, the Court upheld the suspension of a student for displaying a banner at a public event that read "BONG HiTS 4 JESUS" because of the banner's questionable connection to the "serious and palpable dangers" posed by student drug abuse.

In 1985, the Supreme Court rightly recognized that schoolchildren have legitimate expectations of privacy at school under the Fourth Amendment. While prisoners do not have legitimate privacy expectations, the Court said, "[w]e are not yet ready to hold that the schools and the prisons need be equated for purposes of the Fourth Amendment." But by 2002, the Supreme Court allowed public schools to drug test students who participate in non-athletic extracurricular activities (think chess club, marching band and 4H) because of "the nationwide epidemic of drug use." Now, administrators can force students who aspire to learn outside the classroom to urinate in a cup under their watchful eye and grant all adult activity leaders access to sensitive student medical information.

Drug war hysteria fuels irrational behavior -- with pernicious results. In 2003, SWAT team officers seized and restrained South Carolina high school students at gunpoint while a police dog sniffed for drugs. The raid was initiated on the principal's suspicion that one student was selling marijuana. No drugs were found. But the danger and trauma that the students endured was already done.

To their credit, eight justices in Savannah Redding's case addressed the traumatic effects of being strip-searched and recognized school districts that have banned the practice under all circumstances -- sending a clear message to school administrators that strip-searching students is not just illegal in many cases, but almost always unwise.

Most immediately, being strip-searched can inflict acute and long-lasting emotional damage on adolescents. Self-conscious youth are vulnerable to psychological trauma, which manifests in depression and anxiety disorders, even Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Moreover, by authorizing school officials to strip-search students, educators are transformed into policemen. Such policies erode relationships of trust and hinder open and honest communication between students and teachers, which are essential elements of a safe and productive learning environment that teach adolescents to make healthy life choices.

The purpose of school is to educate and prepare children to inherit the future. Justice William J. Brennan once wrote, "The schoolroom is the first opportunity most citizens have to experience the power of government. Through it passes every citizen and public official, from schoolteachers to policemen and prison guards. The values they learn there, they take with them in life."

The Supreme Court has, at best, a checkered history when it comes to knowing how to protect children from the dangers of drugs. Accordingly, it is incumbent upon teachers and school administrators to be mindful of the lessons we teach our children to help them reach adulthood as healthy and responsible citizens.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: AlterNet
Author: Krystal Quinlan
Copyright: 2008 Independent Media Institute
Website: The Supreme Court Resists Drug War Hysteria | DrugReporter | AlterNet

I can only hope that the people in charge have been severely reprimanded and forced to seek professional help.
What kind of insane society drug tests their children?
Someone should sue your government for false advertising.Land of the free my ***.

What have we become as as organism that allows this constant control on the many, while the few, plunder and threaten our very existence?
I look at the simple ant. So many working towards the good. Nobody cares what you do as long as you aren't tearing apart the hill. And when you do threaten they just all attack and get rid of the threat.
What do we do? Numb ourselves and try and not to think about it. Easier to believe the spin and not rock the boat.
Anybody else feel like an ant in a land of grasshoppers?

Strip-searching a thirteen-year-old girl for Advil is a flagrant overreaction to the problem of student drug use. The vice-principle was not looking for a suspected weapon: he was after ibuprofen -- something many girls carry to school privately with parental consent to relieve menstrual cramps. He could have easily called Redding's mother and spared Redding the humiliation of having to expose herself.

What makes it worse, the vice principle was male.

User, I wish to commend you on the quote by Carl Sagan. I consider very few people on this earth as a genuine positive representative of the human species, Carl Sagan being in the top 10. A truly shining example of what we should aspire to be. Thank you! As for the recent events pertaining to strip searches and invasions of privacy, it saddens me to think of my dedication to upholding, protecting and promoting the constitution was wasted by folks who display selective application of the principles contained in that revered document.

didn't anyone else at the school think it was a little uncalled for to strip search a very young girl for a legal pain drug? Seriously, what harm can ibuprofen do? I mean, I'm sure if you eat a whole bottle, it will mess you up, but are kids really eating whole bottles to the point where schools need to strip search their students?

Sounds more of a case of the vice principle wanting to see what was in this girls pants than anything. Sick twisted use of power.

Savana Redding, a thirteen-year-old honor student, was strip-searched at school after a classmate falsely accused her of possessing prescription-strength ibuprofen (one pill is equivalent to two Advil). The school's zero tolerance policy prevents students from bringing any medication (prescription or over-the-counter) to school without administrative approval. The vice-principal confronted Redding and searched her backpack. Redding then was forced to remove her clothing and expose her genitalia. No pills were found.

Lawsuit time. File a civil claim against the school board and and the vice-principal individually.

I find it ridiculous that the parents were not informed before such an invasive and illegal search was perfomed, although it is easy to see why the school would not. No parent in their right mind would ever give such consent!

The problem with public schools is teachers/administrators actually believe they have greater powers then even those held by law-enforcement. While a police officer needs "probable cause" to perform a search or obtain a warrant, it is the policy of many a public school that an official only requires "reasonable suspiscion" in order to conduct a search. The definition of "reasonable suspiscion" is far too broad and in cases such as this applied with wreckless abandon, and it's the kids who are the victims. What I am talking about is the essential loss of your fourth amendment right as an American citizen... downright scarey!

This kind of idiocy should NOT be tolerated. :peace:

Zero tolerance policies remove judgement.

I think the proper course would have been to have called the girls parents if they had a problem

I was disappointed that the Court disallowed the girls right to sue; with the rationale that the school officials were acting with good intent and had no prior rulings to rely on to decide what they could or couldn't do.

RooRman,..I heard a comedian (Carlin?) on tv the other day say that we actually DON'T have a Bill of Rights...more like a Bill of Privileges. Rights, assuming they are God given and Inalienable, would mean they cannot be revoked or "suspended" and would apply to all. Then, having read yesterday about the extensive invasion of privacy authorized by the last administration, I am faced with more evidence that it truly is a bill of privileges. It use to be that we elected wisemen(persons), now we just elect smart people.

I agree, I know some kids who do, do those types of things, there usually at least one kid at a high school, even middle schools some times, but its not worth strip searching, its more about calling the parents. Teachers are not their parents, they are teachers, its sad how this world has turned out to be. It seems like so many mistakes are being made when raising the youth, every where I turn adults are harassing children, they are human beings just like you and I, they are not lower life forms, adults need to treat them like developing minds, and some parents these days, are just off the wall. :rolit:

Back
Top Bottom