To trim or not to trim!

Far East Buds

Hey peoples!

So I am doing a scrog grow (see my link on bottom first scrog DWC grow) and I was wondering what people opinions on trimming or lollipop ping it. I am 4 weeks into flower and have a lot of undergrowth that is definately not seeing the light anymore. I have been told those leaves still will feed the plant and to only remove them when they are brown and dead. Then some people say that those leaves actually use up resources and I should trim them off.

I am wondering what people think ? What to do?

Thanks for looking :Namaste:

Hey peoples!

So I am doing a scrog grow (see my link on bottom first scrog DWC grow) and I was wondering what people opinions on trimming or lollipop ping it. I am 4 weeks into flower and have a lot of undergrowth that is definately not seeing the light anymore. I have been told those leaves still will feed the plant and to only remove them when they are brown and dead. Then some people say that those leaves actually use up resources and I should trim them off.

I am wondering what people think ? What to do?

Thanks for looking :Namaste:

I usually defol around day 25 or so of flower. I want it to have finished the stretch first. Then I take almost all the fan leaves to open the bud sites to the light. :peace:

I usually defol around day 25 or so of flower. I want it to have finished the stretch first. Then I take almost all the fan leaves to open the bud sites to the light. :peace:

Thanks for responding!
When you defol do you do all the leaves above and below the scrog at that point? Just defol underneath? Thanks again !

My Critical Super Silver Haze after being trimmed at 25 days or so gave me almost 4 oz of some of the best medicine I have grown and it was done in 49 days. So no. I don't think it sets them back. :peace:

LOL well damn now what to do... I think that just confused me even more... It seems this is absolutely split in the community.

:hmmmm:

I think anyone serious would try both methods and see for themselves and then compare across a few grows.

I've read somewhere that if you trim too much and too quickly then you can trigger a hormone that can produce stunting and also one would assume it could generate some stress in the plant.

Another reason why I think trimming isn't required would be to ask, do I need direct light on the buds? And from what I've read so far the leaves from any part of the plant help grow the buds it would be incorrect to think leaves on that one specific bud are the ones used soley for growing that specific bud. The whole plant uses all it's resources and that's why I think it doesn't make sense to reduce the leaves.
Increase your light penetration before reducing follage I would say.

But I also subscribe to cutting the lower and much thinner nodes from the bottom to focus more attention on higher nodes, anything a couple inches from the base that hasn't got a thick branch gets cut (one branch a day to not stress or trigger any unwanted responses). Think of them as plumbing pipes, the bigger the pipe the more nutrients can be drawn and more production on that branch. Thin ones produce crappy looking buds that won't weight much and I think it's better to cull them early.

just my 2 cents.

I think anyone serious would try both methods and see for themselves and then compare across a few grows.

I've read somewhere that if you trim too much and too quickly then you can trigger a hormone that can produce stunting and also one would assume it could generate some stress in the plant.

Another reason why I think trimming isn't required would be to ask, do I need direct light on the buds? And from what I've read so far the leaves from any part of the plant help grow the buds it would be incorrect to think leaves on that one specific bud are the ones used soley for growing that specific bud. The whole plant uses all it's resources and that's why I think it doesn't make sense to reduce the leaves.
Increase your light penetration before reducing follage I would say.

But I also subscribe to cutting the lower and much thinner nodes from the bottom to focus more attention on higher nodes, anything a couple inches from the base that hasn't got a thick branch gets cut (one branch a day to not stress or trigger any unwanted responses). Think of them as plumbing pipes, the bigger the pipe the more nutrients can be drawn and more production on that branch. Thin ones produce crappy looking buds that won't weight much and I think it's better to cull them early.

just my 2 cents.

Thank you for chiming in. This is a tough topic. The community is really split on it. I hacked the shit out of my plant last night and I am hoping it doesn't stress it too much. A day or two is ok as long as I don't get any hermie buds. I tried to leave most of the fan leaves on the top but cleared out under it. Just fan leaves really. I left most of the popcorn buds as I had cleared some of them before. If you want to see the before after its on my link 1st grow on the bottom. Only time can answer if it was the right call on this one.

Be safe!

I wish you good luck with the grow!

If you accept that the leaves on and near the buds are not purely/soley there to grow that one specific bud then the obvious conclusion is drawn that other parts of the plant contribute in the growth of that bud. I don't see how that can be a debatable point.
I do know the history of this subject but I also know stoners do weird shit because they don't think things through.

Either way good luck mate and I hope you get some good smoke.

If you accept that the leaves on and near the buds are not purely/soley there to grow that one specific bud then the obvious conclusion is drawn that other parts of the plant contribute in the growth of that bud. I don't see how that can be a debatable point.
I do know the history of this subject but I also know stoners do weird shit because they don't think things through.

Yes a lot of plant stuff I believe is almost just common sense. And thinking of it from that stand point if you did remove leaves anywhere that didn't get light they should not impact it other than the stress effect. No light , No photosynthesis, No help! even hurt because resources keep it alive. Not really sure where I am actually going with this but. This grow I did a lot of trimming on my first dwc scrog. My future plants may not be scrogging (just because of flowering space) so I will trim a lot different.

Thank you for posting I appreciate when people read and respond!

:peace:

It's been three days since you defoliated the bottom of the plant, how is she looking, any signs of stress or strain thus far?
Thanks for the interest. Yes and no.

I really saw 2-3 days of lower bud production but not stopping it.
That being said the nutes ppm got really high from all the transpiration. Im showing leaf burn is my guess on the remaining fans. I added Cal/mag to be safe and dilutes the nutes..Only other possibility is a fungus. time will decide.. Bud production is still doing well. Check it out in my signature. scrog grow.
I would clean it up again. A little less removal next time.

Take a look at Dennise's latest harvest. 2 plants 1/2 lb. She defols on a regular basis. :peace:

Bring this to the top to check Far East's progress. Did they bounce back? I've had similar results from a hard trim. PPM's shoot to the roof & PH becomes unstable and plant slows down. Yea, Denise is not a really good reference. She gets excellent results from those autos. I think she adds motherly love somehow. The lady is a titan. With all the controversy about this I'm surprised no one has done a beta test. All things equal 1-defol and 1-not defol. Wouldn't be hard to do and would sure end the discussion :cheer:.

Bring this to the top to check Far East's progress. Did they bounce back? I've had similar results from a hard trim. PPM's shoot to the roof & PH becomes unstable and plant slows down. Yea, Denise is not a really good reference. She gets excellent results from those autos. I think she adds motherly love somehow. The lady is a titan. With all the controversy about this I'm surprised no one has done a beta test. All things equal 1-defol and 1-not defol. Wouldn't be hard to do and would sure end the discussion :cheer:.

Things are going good. It definitely stunted but had I known the ppm's would have spiked I would have lowered it some. The stunting was for maybe 3 days but it did recover fine and the grow is still moving along. The damaged leaves from the spike are still damaged but other than that she is going through drain for no nute flush now and the cola's are filling out nice...
No big revelation in this one... too many issue's so no accuracy...

Maybe I'll try a test in the future....

FE

Trim the bottom branches & leaves? Leaves that are yellow? 3rd week of flowering
IMG_20150911_164842863.jpg

Back
Top Bottom