Trimming Flowering Plants

ffsta1

Does it hurt to trim off the big fan leaves from a flowering plant so I can get more light to the lower buds?? I have done a few, but I haven't seen any bad effects. Just wondered if it is OK and if there comes a time to leave them alone. They are in their week of flowering. No CO2. Is it necessary??
I am growing White Widow and Mazar.

100_2859_2_.JPG

Mazar

The fan leaves are very important to the plant. They are the powerhouse converting light energy into energy for your plant to grow and produce buds. I wouldn't cut anymore. You can, however, move them out of the way. CO2 is not necessary, but the plants sure do love it.

Nah, u didn't mess up. U learned. U can also tie branches down to open a plant up. U might wanna read up on LST(ing) too. Still nice looking plants. Not only do thy convert energy they also contain nutrients that can be used elsewhere in the plant. Like when the older leaves (common in soil grows) begin yellowing 1st, the (mobile) nutrients are transported to promote newer growth (bud development).

I will be ready at the end of the first week of September to flower 11 more plants grown in a soiless mix. When those are done, I have 25 Feminized Aurora Indica seeds from Nirvana, that will be grown using hydro.
Nirvana is great to work with. I bought 10 Feminized White Widow and
10 Short Ryder autoflower seeds. The WW grew great. Out of 10 Short Ryder seeds, 7 germinated. Out of the 7, only one popped through the soil and died within a week.
I emailed Nirvana and asked if there was a problem with the Short Ryder. I was told they had a bad batch. They gave me the choice of any of their Feminized seeds for a free replacement. I asked for 10 Aurora Indica and they sent me 15. That is great customer service. :slide:

i trimed both of my plants and their growth sped up it didnt hurt them now my buds get light and new growth is coming from where i trimed at i think this helped my growth

That's good to know. Seems like the big fan leaves take away nutrients from the buds.

yeah i trimmed last night and my male didnt look like a male till today but it helped speed things up so that i could notice it so i cut it
also my other one is a female it didnt show till today either and i think that it was all from me trimming them i made sure to use sharp ass trimmers and i trimed right befor lights out
hope all goes well

ffsta1 Gallery - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

The first 6 pictures are from today
I am doing my first grow in a soiless mix. The next batch are vegging outside in the 100* weather with no problems. The grow cabinet is in my basement. It has been hot for several weeks. The plants went crazy overnight. I have trimmed all the bad stuff off. This is only happening with the White Widow grown from feminized seeds. Each WW plant has grown differently. Some look like sticks. Others look like a Christmas tree. Most of the WW are growing terrible. The Mazar plants grown from clones are fine. I have added an air conditioner to the intake fan. This has brought the box down to the 80's. I have a 200 watt CFL and two 400 watt HPS lights going. My climate is dry and hot in the summer.

That's good to know. Seems like the big fan leaves take away nutrients from the buds.

Trust me. The fan leaves are very important to your plants. I have trimmed maybe a couple of the fan leaves from my plants at the most. Take a look at my journals and you will see how nice my buds were. There are plenty of nutrients in the water for your whole plant. Your plant will grow where it wants to when its ready. ;-) It is really easy just to move the leaves out of the way.

No prob. Start a journal with the producer. never seen one.

Producer grow - Hydro Grow: ICE & B52

Back
Top Bottom