To trim or not to trim!

Here is a pic of my Incredible Bulk that will be coming down today. She has been very well trimmed. She only vegged fir 6 weeks from when she popped her head above the soil. I have 2 clones that will get longer veg time. I figure there will probably be around 3 oz on her. The buds right down to the bottom are rock hard.:peace:

20150910_070714_resized.jpg
20150910_070722_resized.jpg

Verrry nice. I'm debating on trimming mine. Been reading mixed reviews on manicuring practices. From the pic I posted, what would you say? Towards the bottom there are little branches with tiny flowers on them. Get rid of em or leave em?

Verrry nice. I'm debating on trimming mine. Been reading mixed reviews on manicuring practices. From the pic I posted, what would you say? Towards the bottom there are little branches with tiny flowers on them. Get rid of em or leave em?

For me, I leave ALL flowers. Just trim the fan leaves. Leave the sugar leaves alone too. I just chopped that one down and even the little popcorn bud on the bottom was hard as a rock. :peace:

For me, I leave ALL flowers. Just trim the fan leaves. Leave the sugar leaves alone too. I just chopped that one down and even the little popcorn bud on the bottom was hard as a rock. :peace:

I found almost all your comments in this thread to be misleading because of the incomplete details. Not every plant would benefit from a complete defoliation, not everyone is going to see half pound per trimmed plant, not everyone's popcorn is going to even develop.

IMO all those notes have less to do with how you trimmed the plant and more to do with the size of the plant, how long it's been growing, the training, the strain, the lighting, nutes, everything! Just because someone with 10,000 posts is doing something doesn't make it a good idea, IMO.

Glad it's working out for you but I think the advice was lazy or careless. I think there's a reason these questions are difficult to answer and have such a split response, because 1 technique is not going to apply to everyone. Copying each other is not learning anything.

That being said, I'm on my first grow too and defoliated quite a bit. I plan to defoliate even more next grow, including the scrawny popcorn shoots. I think nipping them in the bud at the end of the stretch would be the best way to redirect resources into the buds you know are going to actually produce. I only take fan leaves that are blocking bud sites. I figure the old under foliage is already full grown and really doesn't take much energy to maintain, the plant will naturally wilt the leaves as it redirects the nutes into more productive leaves.

I found almost all your comments in this thread to be misleading because of the incomplete details. Not every plant would benefit from a complete defoliation, not everyone is going to see half pound per trimmed plant, not everyone's popcorn is going to even develop.

IMO all those notes have less to do with how you trimmed the plant and more to do with the size of the plant, how long it's been growing, the training, the strain, the lighting, nutes, everything! Just because someone with 10,000 posts is doing something doesn't make it a good idea, IMO.

Glad it's working out for you but I think the advice was lazy or careless. I think there's a reason these questions are difficult to answer and have such a split response, because 1 technique is not going to apply to everyone. Copying each other is not learning anything.

That being said, I'm on my first grow too and defoliated quite a bit. I plan to defoliate even more next grow, including the scrawny popcorn shoots. I think nipping them in the bud at the end of the stretch would be the best way to redirect resources into the buds you know are going to actually produce. I only take fan leaves that are blocking bud sites. I figure the old under foliage is already full grown and really doesn't take much energy to maintain, the plant will naturally wilt the leaves as it redirects the nutes into more productive leaves.

Hence the reason I prefaced it with "for me". I agree. It is not for everyone or every plant. If you look at my Dream Machine, the defol is less on her. I also learned from my mistakes. My first grow I defolled too early and lost all the stretch and my plants diid not get as big as the could have.

I have learned in life, there is no one right way to do everything and anyone who says that theirs is the only way still has something to learn.

I live to learn and learn to live.:peace:

Exactly every situation is different. Hence why I ask these questions. if one person answers it does not become my gospel. I ask questions to get people experiences and take it for what it's worth. ( a person with a lot of detail vs I defol...) I had mentioned earlier in a post on the thread. It was hard to say the results in my case because of multiple things going on. That being said I shared it with decent detail as someone may use that info later. Every plant. strain. grow room person are all different so results will always vary... always always too many variables... But trends and majority's do help people make better decisions. This whole site has helped thousands of people and it really has all just been based on opinions.

This was not meant to be a rant if it came out that way. Anyhow this message will self destruct in 30 seconds

FE

My "opinion" on it is that small amounts as you go the plant usually wont notice. They are the solar panels. So the panels that can't get the sun way down low... are not working very well.. These are all I will touch in the future and I really will try to only do that as they get in bad shape. That being said this run is not a scrog and I think it is very useful there.

each situation is different. If you have battled burns and ph's etc. I would keep ANY healthy leaves... all different
all different...

FE

*BOOM* Last message just blew up!

Hi all,
From what I've read, this is a very touchy subject. 50% people say DONT, 50% say YES.
My personal experience, I always strip leaves.(no set time or week, whenever the ladies get too bushy, off come half a bucket of leaves.) I have tested some grows without touching any leaves unless they are damaged or look a little sick. On these grows I harvested significantly less yield with all bud sites under the main canopy little fluff balls. When I defoliate, extra return and buds form under the canopy. Disclaimer: I have small grow rooms and this works for me. 1.2length, 700width, from top of pot to light, 600 high. In Coco with 600wt HPS.

Back
Top Bottom