Tomatogardens First Grow - Closet - CFL - Bag Seed - Organic - Soil

tomatogarden

Lighting: 3 42 watt 2700k cfls at 2800 lumens a piece, 3 26 watt 2700k cfls at 1600 lumens a piece, and 2 more 26 watt 2700k 1600 lumen bulbs that i plan on adding later. That adds up to a total of 16,400 lumens using 256 watts of energy and 64 lumens per watt.

Space: 29 square foot closet (7'9" in height, 3'9" in length, and 5'3" deep)

Plants: 4 bagseeds from the grossest stuff imaginable, for real you'd have to try to grow shit to yield that dirt.

Medium: Ferry-Morse organic starter mix, containing sphagnum peat moss, horticultural vermiculite, perlite, and an "organic wetting agent". I plan to use this throughout the grow as it seems good and also cheap at $2 a gallon. I'll also be using MG nutrients when the time comes, I know that is frowned upon but it's what I'm going to use and I expect decent results from it.

Room stats: I do not have a temp/humidity reader or Ph meter besides some test strips. Those will all be purchased ASAP.

So far I only have one fan, more ventilation in the future is probable.

My seeds have popped and I will be planting them today in solo cups.

2/1/2015 week 1

Pics of the closet:

66410.jpg

66111.jpg

66810.jpg

Currently with 1 baby in, I'm sure the side lights arent doing much at the moment but they can't hurt lol. I'm going to make some soda can reflectors and line them with some mylar that I found in ceiling light fixtures around the house. I don't believe that a soda can reflector will fit the larger bulbs though, so I'm planning on eventually home making a reflector hood to hang from the ceiling.

I also have a question, if I am lucky an get a few female plants, could I take a male out of the closet and use his balls to pollinate a single female, then replace the pollinated female in the closet without harm to my other plants? Or would she spread the pollen to the other girls?

you look fine for now. i have basic same thing for veg. CFLs. you can also take alumni foil and make your own reflective covering till you get a tent or box. it does same thing. i started with same things , no money but trying to grow a plant. makes you look for new ways to do things for sure. imagination is good sometimes.

you look fine for now. i have basic same thing for veg. CFLs. you can also take alumni foil and make your own reflective covering till you get a tent or box. it does same thing. i started with same things , no money but trying to grow a plant. makes you look for new ways to do things for sure. imagination is good sometimes.

Thanks for the reply, yeah everything's a little cheap right bow but it will continue to improve as the grow progresses. Im so excited lol

1422854253574.jpg

The room at the end of day 1, looking very disjoined and messy but things will be easier to handle one the grow starts up. I decided to turn the side lights off until i get significant enough growth to warrant them, they werent doing anything really and heat is definitely an issue. Its extremely toasty in that closet, however my room is like 60 degrees so the closet is most likely mid 80s. I'm definitely going to need significantly more ventilation since im going to add as many more lights as i can afford to add in the future. The fan seems to be keeping the heat at the lights and right above the plants pretty reasonable.

the flat white walls and ceiling is a great reflector :thumb:

try to avoid tinfoil as it creates hotspots

Good point, i have a few cans of eggshell leftover so i may just use that on some plywood or cardboard and make a hood type thing out of it. I appreciate the response thanks!

End of day 2 from seed!! The room is an ideal 75 degrees and all four of my babies have been planted! Baby #4 was planted around 3:45 this afternoon, one day behind her sisters. Got another 23 watt 1600 lumen cfl today to add whenever I feel necessary. Next purchases will be pH meter, 6500k Cfls to supplement, and a humidity gauge(it's winter I already know its unfortunately dry as a bone)

2/4 of my babies have broken ground with my 3rd one just poking through the top soil!!

This is the first beautiful baby I planted, she has a few hours on baby #2 and probably 7 or 8 hours on #3 who is still just a little bum in the soil

101124.jpg

And here is baby #2, she has a little crook in her neck still lol

10484.jpg

10547.jpg

lmao. PLANT 1 plant 2 lol. thier your plants name them all girls.
i have one purple auto that i call my purple pant girl. and BlackJacks are clone of the mother. but we dont know if there going to live atm.
lmao thier still brewing in the bags.

your light distance if great. i always get mine wrong. and one or two will reach out some. i topped on other day 1ft off the top. lol.
but its sht mexican crap. i been hanging around, should go head and ditch. one day i will when the clones get ready to replant.

#2 is shootin up and stretching further than #1 now, i think what im gonna do is wait til they are decently established plants and then lower the shelf like a foot and a half and let the plants stretch a while to get nice evenly spaced nodes and not a stubby bush that doesnt let any light in. Then ill surround the fuckers with my other 4 lights and hopefully even more than that.

your light distance if great. i always get mine wrong. and one or two will reach out some. i topped on other day 1ft off the top. lol.
but its sht mexican crap. i been hanging around, should go head and ditch. one day i will when the clones get ready to replant.

Do you top all of your plants?

So this morning around 6:30 baby #1 and baby #2 received their first true watering, I kinda wanted to wait another day but their soil was bone dry and the solos were almost weightless lol.

This is baby #1 with flash

0071526.jpg

it kinda fucks up her true colors, so heres one with no flash

0091245.jpg

if you look closely in the middle you'll see what I suppose is her second set of true leaves developing

and heres baby #2

013810.jpg

she's nice, you can also see her second pair of leaves in the making. I have a feeling #2 is going to be one of the better plants

and baby #3 lol, shes been confused and stuck in this position for about a full day now

018498.jpg

and #4 is poking through the surface and she will pop out and feel the sun against her leaves for the first time any hour now.

I'm extremely excited, Ill probably start feeding them around the time I first transplant them

i do. soon as i can get my fingers on it to pinch it off. then do it several times in the veg stage to get plant way i want it. like plenty of nodes to produce. then i put into flowering. take about month or two. most time around 45 days.

Back
Top Bottom