Topping gone wrong! Help!

Smoke909

Hi all

Looking for some advice from people with experience topping.

My friend asked a few weeks ago about topping, I explained the principles but I later found out he "HAS HAD A GO" at it himself without the wounders of the Internet.

Basically I orphaned the plant and am wondering if there is any point in doingredients so ?

Plant was at about 6 nodes hight before he demolished it at the 4th node (including seed leaves).

The growth tips have been removed from the topped area, plus the lower remaining node has had the growth tips and fan leaves snipped.

I've had it for about 3 days now under a hps set up, I understand it can take up to 2 weeks for the plant to recover.

Could anyone tell me if I'm wasting my time and if she should head to the compost bin

Many thanks
Smoke909

Hi all

Looking for some advice from people with experience topping.

My friend asked a few weeks ago about topping, I explained the principles but I later found out he "HAS HAD A GO" at it himself without the wounders of the Internet.

Basically I orphaned the plant and am wondering if there is any point in doing so ?

Plant was at about 6 nodes hight before he demolished it at the 4th node (including seed leaves).

The growth tips have been removed from the topped area, plus the lower remaining node has had the growth tips and fan leaves snipped.

I've had it for about 3 days now under a hps set up, I understand it can take up to 2 weeks for the plant to recover but it shows no sign of life.

Other toppings I have done in the past showed between 2/5 days ?

Could anyone tell me if I'm wasting my time and if she should head to the compost bin

Thanks

Smoke909
20170319_172926.jpg

Ouch, she looks toast, unless you have a lot of time to wait around and see. But plants have a tendency to want to live if they are healthy. It might sprout new growth if you give it a chance.

As long as she has some leaves. Looks like there might be a few up higher that aren't showing in the picture? Just don't water until it really needs it - little foliage means it will drink very little- and overwatering right now could mean the end of her.

Huh! You stripped her ! Leave her be , hopefully more growth will show up . Looks like two leaves are the only thing left ? I wish you all the luck from one newbie to the other .

Suck it up and move on,you'll have a new plant up an growing before that poor plant gets going (if it does) but doesn't cost anything to feed it water

Sent from my SM-G920V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks all for your input.

Yeah it's been a shame to watch it grow nicely to her
now looking bare :(.

I didn't think about the over watering issue due to there being only 2 fan leaves so that's a plus!! Has anyone else ever seen new growth form ? Maybe the question I should ask is 'has anyone been stupid enough to cut the new growth tips off"

Thaks again
Smoke90i

As an experiment I cut all the leaves off a plant once. I was going to toss it anyway. I just wanted to see if it would sprout up from the stem, as many types of plants do. It didn't...
Two leaves should be plenty as long as the other conditions are good.

As an experiment I cut all the leaves off a plant once. I was going to toss it anyway. I just wanted to see if it would sprout up from the stem, as many types of plants do. It didn't...
Two leaves should be plenty as long as the other conditions are good.

Top info, I was hoping someone might of seen something... suppose the best thing to do is give it 2 weeks to get over the shock ? Don't feed anything else unless it's well needed ?

I'm thinking .....

Surly a plant that wants to grow and flourish will try and grow new sprouts. Granted it entered a shock period and with the chance of survival also comes the chance of death but it can't exactly enter flowering stage as it's got no where to flower from haha ?

I'm not a big believer in 'shock'. I mean- it's just my personal opinion because I'm not a plant expert - but I think probably there are less mysterious reasons why growth is slow sometimes. Just because we can't see what's going on doesn't mean a plant isn't trying as hard as it can to deal with whatever has been thrown at it. In this case I'd pin it on having hardly any foliage. With only a small amount of foliage it only has a small amount of photosynthesis going on, so it doesn't have much to work with. It also has to heal some cuts, and redirect its energies as it figures out which parts are the new tips.
There's no reason for a plant to up and die just because it only has two leaves- more likely for it to die because it gets overwatered, imo.
I've revegged quite a few plants after harvest and the situation's a bit similar- you're trying to grow something that's been chopped way down. If I soak the pot down at that point- there's a good chance the plant will die because it just sits there with wet feet for weeks.
I don't know what the situation is because I wasn't there- but it probably doesn't need watering or more food. Just look at how much foliage it has, imagine it's a small seedling with that same amount of foliage, and treat it like that.

If it was gonna die it would of laid down within the first 24-48 hours. You already invested this much time and effort just keep her going and maybe start a new one just in case...also keep your friend away lol

"When the going gets weird, the weird go pro"
Hunter S. Thompson
New Grow With 300w LED

I'm not a big believer in 'shock'. I mean- it's just my personal opinion because I'm not a plant expert - but I think probably there are less mysterious reasons why growth is slow sometimes. Just because we can't see what's going on doesn't mean a plant isn't trying as hard as it can to deal with whatever has been thrown at it. In this case I'd pin it on having hardly any foliage. With only a small amount of foliage it only has a small amount of photosynthesis going on, so it doesn't have much to work with. It also has to heal some cuts, and redirect its energies as it figures out which parts are the new tips.
There's no reason for a plant to up and die just because it only has two leaves- more likely for it to die because it gets overwatered, imo.
I've revegged quite a few plants after harvest and the situation's a bit similar- you're trying to grow something that's been chopped way down. If I soak the pot down at that point- there's a good chance the plant will die because it just sits there with wet feet for weeks.
I don't know what the situation is because I wasn't there- but it probably doesn't need watering or more food. Just look at how much foliage it has, imagine it's a small seedling with that same amount of foliage, and treat it like that.

Top info mate, so from your experience a plant is more than capable of producing new growth tips? Yeah I've not touched it since the day of the snip.

Thanks everyone

There's no reason a plant with only two or more leaves on it can't grow perfectly well- same as a seedling with only two leaves on it. But- only if the conditions are good. Factoring in also that it's taken some damage so needs a bit of energy for healing. And two-leafed seedlings in large pots are at high risk of being overwatered.
I kind of said this already- but I don't think the topping alone would kill it. But a combination of the topping and less than ideal conditions definitely could.
If it hasn't moved at all in a few days or more then that's a bit worrisome. On the other hand-it's alive and hasn't died. Just keep the soil/medium as dry as possible and the conditions good,and leave it alone. That's what I do with reveg plants- just leave them in a corner, leave them alone, and don't overwater them or they tend to die.
You can start another one if you have room. This one may or may not make it.

Thanks seems like I've had a little luck...

I was trawling the Internet and came across something about rooting a leaf. It basically explains new sprout will form just underneath the soil at the nearest node.

Well I've removed a little coco and I've come across this...
As you can see the topped area still hasn't grown...
I'm noticing the fan leave stalks are starting to turn a darker colour.

Thanks smoke
20170321_025828.jpg
20170321_025757.jpg

Back
Top Bottom