Topping

So what happens if you top really early? Can you top numerous times like supercropping or will the plant not grow vertically after topping? And do you only top the main cola stem or can you promote even growth all over the plant?

I cropped mine at like 3.5 weeks or so cause I got excited and I don't have much vertical room (ScrOG/top/supercrop/superstress on my girls... if they even are female). With how many times I've screwed with these plants they're all going to be hermie either way.

Thanks for the info McBudz!

~I have limited space and want to restrict the verticle growth of my plants will topping take away height dramatically or will the two new branches grow just as tall..~

~I have limited space and want to restrict the verticle growth of my plants will topping take away height dramatically or will the two new branches grow just as tall..~

If left alone the remaining branches will grow vertically. Combined with LST you can manage height and get a good even canopy. Topping alone slows done growth until the other branches shoot up. Try supercropping as well.

If left alone the remaining branches will grow vertically. Combined with LST you can manage height and get a good even canopy. Topping alone slows done growth until the other branches shoot up. Try supercropping as well.

~ Will super cropping accomplish my goal of shortening the plant without bending? Do you know of any other techniques that will? ~

~ Will super cropping accomplish my goal of shortening the plant without bending? Do you know of any other techniques that will? ~

It wont shorten the plant per say but will slow the growth maybe for a couple of days. maybe you can experiment with extreme supercropping and let us know how it works out for you. There products like bushmaster or dr nodes plant height reducer. I have not used them and am hesitant myself as I dont think they are meant for consumable plants

I find that bending gives the best results i cant see the benefit of chopping off the main bud and as a benefit of the bending the plants lower shoots get more light and as a result develop much thicker buds the side shoots will also elongate reaching the top of the canopy and become as large or even larger than the main bud i love bending :bong: :peace: hope it helps

Speaking of side growth.. Would say adding two M/H or in flowering 2 HPS that shine on the sides of the plant(s) be beneficial as bending for getting light in to the lower branches?? I ask cuz I'm thinking of mounting two 175W M/H to shine at the sides of my aeroponic containers/tubs with the 1000w M/H-HPS above??

Speaking of side growth.. Would say adding two M/H or in flowering 2 HPS that shine on the sides of the plant(s) be beneficial as bending for getting light in to the lower branches?? I ask cuz I'm thinking of mounting two 175W M/H to shine at the sides of my aeroponic containers/tubs with the 1000w M/H-HPS above??

Im just getting into this so im no pro but i would think as long as you're feeding it enough and its not getting too hot then that shouldnt be a problem.

just getting into this myself and I'm hella scared of cutting, I think Im going to try the LST method or bending it for my first grow. Once I get that under my belt maybe I'll have the confidence to cut my girls, or maybe I just need a little more info, I guess i cant really see when/where to cut it, just after the 3rd/4th nodes?

I believe entirely in topping plants, i did this to my plant when it was about a month old and is turning out great. I was sketchy about doing this also but after consulting with the grandparents who have run a nursery all their lives i decided to try it. You cant see it the greatest but heres a pic of mine ill take some more and show you guys,
dart_010.jpg
, I also have another plant upcoming atm and im going to LST it and top it so ill have to keep a good grow journal on this one and ill have some pics of that one in the next couple o days :thumb:

I seem to see faster side growth from topping then when LST'ing or bending over. I understand you may not get more of an overall yield but the density of the bud seems to be more uniform throughout the plant. Rather than having a massive cola and fluffy side and bottom buds. Thank you for your insight Racefan. Its much appreciated. :peace:

I know this an old post and probably dead but I am currently growing 3 plants. 1 is topped at the 5th node, 1 will be LST'd and 1 will be left alone...we can end the debate...same soil, same seed, same light, same tent...I will weigh each separately and we will see what method works the best...I also have 6 more in veg to re-test for accuracy...we shall see...

Excellent post. Very informative pictures. Those colas look fantastic. Nice job.

Actually your reasonong is flawed. A plant can only promote so much bud mass period. topping will not increase that mass. By topping you "split" the energy from one to two.
And topping creates a huge amount of stress. bending the top over provides the same exact results with little to no stress. After all, the desired effect is to redirect the growth or flower hormones to branches lower than the top which is what happenes when you remove the top or bend it over.
Nice looking pictures though.

how tall was your plant begfore you topped it? those are huge for topping plants. Are did most of the growing come after flowering started?

I believe entirely in topping plants, i did this to my plant when it was about a month old and is turning out great. I was sketchy about doing this also but after consulting with the grandparents who have run a nursery all their lives i decided to try it. You cant see it the greatest but heres a pic of mine ill take some more and show you guys,
dart_010.jpg
, I also have another plant upcoming atm and im going to LST it and top it so ill have to keep a good grow journal on this one and ill have some pics of that one in the next couple o days :thumb:

I can hear it now. "Hey Gramma, how much should I manicure my pot plants??" ........ LOL.

i know this is an old thread but reading through it i was unsure of topping as this is my first grow so so here's some pics about 10 days after topping.I have two power plant one topped and one not decide for yourselves,i have a journal ongoing with more pics
Power Plant not topped with some LST to keep her low(ish)
DSC_06603.JPG

DSC_06172.JPG

and the topped PP combined with a bit of LST
DSC_06444.JPG

DSC_06552.JPG

Plenty of more pics in my ongoing journal and don't be shy tell me what you think :)

Cheers VG

When cutting make sure to use a sterile instrument. Rubbing Alcohol and flame will do the trick. Wait for the instrument to cool if using flame before cutting. And don't burn yourself.

Then pinch it off. Pinching it off, instead of cutting it, tends to help close the wound a bit, rather than having it "bleed" from a fresh razor cut.
from How To: Bend and top your way to a 1 pound monster right under picture two.

Any help for a n00b on this seeming contradiction ?

Back
Top Bottom