Trying something new

CC420710

Hey everyone hope is well. I wanted to share my experience with current project. It’s not new to the world just new to me. Anyway being poor requires me to have find another way to do things such as cloning and the fact that most people will say to keep it humid but there are disagreements on the subject. Anyway I was gathering jars around the house to prepare for harvest time and the next day ended up cutting several clones and decided to put them in the jars instead. I soaked peat and Rockwool in water and drained excess. I mixed in jar to provide water and humidity and then put the clones in and put on lid. I was thinking about doing something similar for my seeds but need more jars. You can use so many things you have in your kitchen salsa, jelly, Parmesan cheese and mayonnaise to name a few. What I hoping to achieve is to provide the babies with better protection while they are so young. I would also like to see a faster rooting rate but not a huge deal as long as they root. I have other things around the house I use for different places. Take those plastic containers with lids or cake trays with lids both make great diy humidity trays. So let’s this post about things around your house that would work in gardens.

Great Idea on the useful things around the house. Lots of people are putting grows together on budget.

One thing about clones and seeds in jars. How to safely get them out when they are done. Even wide mouth jars could be difficult.

Great Idea on the useful things around the house. Lots of people are putting grows together on budget.

One thing about clones and seeds in jars. How to safely get them out when they are done. Even wide mouth jars could be difficult.
Yes very much an issue so you have to weigh the costs to the benefits. Myself I have recently lost some babies to fungus gnats and before that mice. So for me it was easy to choose the sealed container. One thing I would suggest is only use plastic jars so when time comes you just cut the bottom off and remove lid then slide right off. There are a lot of plastic options. Tbh I have more plastic than I do glass. Mayonnaise, applesauce and some snack crackers to name a few. Sorry I didn’t cover that originally

I kept mine cheap. Wayyyyy under $200 cheap. I just spent almost that on one light getting ready for next run.

Yes very much an issue so you have to weigh the costs to the benefits. Myself I have recently lost some babies to fungus gnats and before that mice. So for me it was easy to choose the sealed container. One thing I would suggest is only use plastic jars so when time comes you just cut the bottom off and remove lid then slide right off. There are a lot of plastic options. Tbh I have more plastic than I do glass. Mayonnaise, applesauce and some snack crackers to name a few. Sorry I didn’t cover that originally
Many ways to fight off gnats

Many ways to fight off gnats
Yes there are but I apparently can’t do it right as I have used them all. Either way there is whole other post about that. This idea wasn’t just about fungus gnats but humidity when I don’t have anything else. The protection from bugs was just a added benefit. The reason I prefer to protect the babies and clones to higher degree is because they can’t handle the damage that be caused by them as mature plant can. Idk about others but my first experience with them I lost a couple babies because I didn’t catch it in time to treat. So why not up protection for them plus hold in moisture. To each there own this was just about using things to save money and recycle stuff no longer used.

Here are two seeds I started both in plastic jars. One in in the soil in jar and other is a small planter in jar for easier removal. As someone pointed the issue of safely getting them out. If it is a concern for you I suggest using only plastic jars so you can just cut bottom out and place in pot without disturbing anything. The bigger the jar the less it is a worry. Also you can use ice cream buckets or cake containers. If you have a jar without a lid put tape over it. There are resources all around

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 101
Plastic!!!!! Ah Ha that idea should work LMAO. good idea. I use a enclosed unit for cloning. Mine is a clear plastic file folder I got at walmart for a couple bucks. Hard to find them with clear tops but when you do they work great. I wish I could find a larger one. I can fit 6 clones in one box. Works great, If I need more I will just buy another one at that price.

Plastic!!!!! Ah Ha that idea should work LMAO. good idea. I use a enclosed unit for cloning. Mine is a clear plastic file folder I got at walmart for a couple bucks. Hard to find them with clear tops but when you do they work great. I wish I could find a larger one. I can fit 6 clones in one box. Works great, If I need more I will just buy another one at that price.
I know the clear thing can be tricky. Cheap clear tape is an option for clear lid if necessary.

This is just a thought I haven’t tried yet. The big plastic totes they make several clear but if you have one colored and any extra small light you could cut a hole for power cord and put light inside the tote. Also tote lids make a great tray for catching runoff

Nice idea using sealable plastic containers but do you open them daily to give fresh air to your clones & seedlings once they emerge? Plants can suffocate. Personally with new clones I open the lid of my humidity dome 3 times a day for fresh air and misting for the first 3 days then twice a day for the next few days. Also I slowly harden the plants by venting my humidity dome a little more each day after the first 5 days. Some say that a clone or seedling that has been babied all the time will have a hard time adjusting to an open world environment if not slowly adjusted over the course of a few days. You could do this by not tightly fitting the lid after so many days to the point of leaving the lid off-set slightly more and more until the plant is hardened into it's permanent environment.

Back
Top Bottom